Translating my Great Uncles m

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
gvanderende

Translating my Great Uncles m

Post by gvanderende » 30 Nov 2020, 00:58

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help. I recently received the military records from my grandfather's brother, Theodor Lambert van der Ende, who fought as an Unterscharfuhrer in the 5th Waffen-SS Panzer Division, and I want to know if anyone is willing to help me by translating them so that I can find out what happened to him. My family lost contact with him after he joined the Waffen-SS. Sorry some of the records have difficult handwriting but any help is appreciated. There are actually a total of 10 documents however I can just attach the first 5 due to forum rules. I will post the other 5 documents in a follow up post.

After finding out my family member was in the Waffen-SS I requested documents from the Bundesarchiv in Germany, and these are the documents I need help translating. The first document that is printed I translated with Google Translate and I found he invaded the Soviet Union with the 5th SS Panzer Wiking. The entry ss feldlazarett 5 pawlodolski I think corresponds to Pavlodol'skaya, North Ossetia, Russia where my great uncle maybe was admitted to a field hospital during the invasion of the Caucasus. This is also in the general area the 5th SS Panzer was at I think in fall 1942. There is obviously much more information that can be pulled from the documents however I don't speak German or know much about finding military records or information, so I'm hoping someone can step in to help. The written records seem to be medical records from some sort of prison that Theodor was put into however I ran into a roadblock since I don't speak German and can't get the writing. It's odd I share 1/8 of my genetics with him.
Attachments
5.pdf
(75.67 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
4.pdf
(530.64 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
3.pdf
(985.4 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
2.pdf
(55.67 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
1.pdf
(401.07 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Hohlladung

Re: Translating my Great Uncles m

Post by Hohlladung » 30 Nov 2020, 13:31

Hi gvanderende,

Let's start with the first one 5.pdf.

It is a report of admission in the infirmary/sickbay of his POW-camp, dated June 18th, 1947.
The reason is emaciation.
With a hight of 187 cm his weight was 69.0 kg, having an underweight of 20.6%.
(Obviously a Body-Mass-Index was already know in 1947).
Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 30 Nov 2020, 15:03

Okay,
The second one 4.pdf is an index card about the treatment due to emaciation of Theodor van der Ende.

You can see in this index card the days from 19. June until 23. July.

Although receiving nutrionally balanced diet, his weight is changing only from 69 to 71 back to 70 kg.

No high temperature
Urine: w/o findings
Stool: regular

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 30 Nov 2020, 17:53

Hi,
Here is 3.pdf, it is his anamnesis. I give it in German language first as far as I can read it. English later, I have to look up to many medical terms:

Vater im Felde 1940 gefallen, Mutter im Alter von 56 Jahren an Lungenentzündung gestorben, 5 lebende Geschwister. Keine Erbkrankheiten in der Familie.

Selbst:

Ernste Erkrankungen sind bis während des des letzten Krieges nicht vorgekommen. 1942 Lungenentzündung mit 1/2 jähriger Lazarettbehandlung. 1942 Granatsplitter-Steckschuß oberhalb des l. Kniegelenks mit operativer Splitterentfernung. 1942 Weichteilstreifschuß oberhalb r. Wade. 1944 Schußbruch im Bereich 5. l. Mittelfußknochen. Sämtliche Schußverletzungen ohne Funktionsstörungen. Frühjahr 1945 verschüttet durch Bombenexplosion. In der Folgezeit Nasen-und Gedächtnisstörungen. 25.11.46 Einlieferung in Camp 4. Dezember 45 und Januar 1946 wegen Bronchitis und Nervenstörungen Depression im Revier 10. Gegenwärtige Klagen: Allgemeine Müdigkeit und Schwächegefühl.

Untersuchungsbefund:

Mundhöhle: leicht belegte Zunge, Zahnlücken, einzelne defekte Zähne, Gebiß als Ganzes kaufähig. Über der r. Lunge leicht verkürzter Klopfschall ins ........ der unteren Hälfte. Man hört daselbst einige bronchitische Geräusche. Die Herzdämpfungsgrenzen liegen an normaler Stelle. Herztöne rein.

Puls:

Regelmäßig, gut gefüllt, es folgen im Durchschnitt 12 Schläge in der 1/4 Minute in Ruhe.

Bauch:

Bauchdecke fest und elastig. Lebergrenzen an normaler Stelle. Milz nicht zu fühlen. Keine Unterleibsbrüche. Generale und After o. B. Keine Oedeme.

Diagnose:

Allgemeine Untergewichtigkeit und entsprechend Allgemeinschwäche. Bettruhe, tägl. 2 Betabion, 1 Cebion.

25/6 Innere Organe o. B. Noch immer erheblicher Schwächezustand.
7/7 Bisher noch keine Gewichtszunahme.

Best regards
Armin

gvanderende

Post by gvanderende » 30 Nov 2020, 18:03

Thank you for your translation Armin. Attached are the remaining documents. This is really an invaluable help to my family.

Gerrit
Attachments
11.pdf
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
10.pdf
(747.67 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
9.pdf
(1003.35 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
8.pdf
(218.18 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
7.pdf
(122.78 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

gvanderende

Post by gvanderende » 30 Nov 2020, 18:05

This is the document detailing Theodor's war record which I was able to translate through google translate.
Attachments
6.pdf
(224.77 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 01 Dec 2020, 14:41

Hi Gerrit,

Here is 3.pdf in English:

Father killed in action 1940, mother died due to pneumonia 56 years old, 5 living siblings. No hereditary diseases in the family.

About him:
No serious illnesses appeared until and end of this war. 1942 pneumonia with 6 month hospitalisation.
1942 shrapnel lodged above left knee joint with surgical removement.
1942 soft part graze shot above right calf.
1944 gunshot fracture in the metatarsal bones area 5th left. All shot wounds without dysfunction.
Spring 1945 buried due to bomb explosion. During the following period nose and memory dysfunctions.
25.November 46 transferred to Camp 4.
December 45 and January 1946 in sickbay 10 due to bronchitis and nerve dysfunktion, depression.
Present complaints: General fatigue and weakness.

Exam findings:
Oral cavity: slightly covered tongue, tooth gaps, single teeth are defect, in whole denture is able to chew.
Above right lung slightly shortened knocking sound into....lower part. Some bronchitis sounds to hear. Cardiac attemnation beats within normal limits. Heart tones clear.

Pulse: Regular, well filled, on average 12 beats within a 1/4 minute when resting.

Stomach: abdominal wall solid and elastic. Liver limits at normal place. Spleen not touchable. No heriases. Genitals and after w/o findings. No edemas.

Diagnoses: General emaciation and corresponding general weakness. Bed rest. Daily 2 Betabion, 1 Cebion.

25/6: inner organs w/o findings. Still severe weak condition.
7/7: Until now no gain weight.

Best regards
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 01 Dec 2020, 15:52

Gerrit,
1.pdf shows an index card with no further information except his weight is only 64 kg on 4th of May 47.

Regarding 2.pdf: Can you repost it in a better quality?
It is pretty light and it looks cut off at the right edge.

Best regards
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 02 Dec 2020, 15:15

Gerrit,
I continue with 8pdf. There are some informations about his family:

Medical History:
Diagnoses: Psychopathy ( ..... Depression)
Arrives at ambulance, complains about sleep disorder.
As patient appears serious, makes a depressive impression, hospitalized in sickbay.
Data: Origins from a protected family, second from 6 children. School Attendorn Elementary School, graduation from High School and Higher Commercial School. Merchant in Amsterdam with his brother. Later SS-Untersturmführer. Attending war in 1941. 45 in internment, translator for Military Administration. Interned as SS.
In Camp since 25. Nov. 46. Due to emaciation and bronchitis in sickbay.
Now unable to sleep at night. In the evening has to.....

Best regards
Armin

gvanderende

Post by gvanderende » 03 Dec 2020, 03:21

Dear Armin,

Thank you for the translations. Attached is a version of 2.pdf with enhanced contrast and brightness. The right edge was missing from the document sent to me so I am unable right now to correct this.

Thank you,

Gerrit
Attachments
2_enhanced.jpg

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 05 Dec 2020, 17:42

Gerrit,
Here's 7.pdf, which is the continuation page of 8.pdf.
There are some medical term abbreviations I can't decypher, but I think you get the main picture:

....in the evening has....

...to cry in bed, what he can't understand. He is always hungry, but eats without appetite.
Memory performance is considerable reduced. When getting up general weakness.
Physical condition: Tall, gaunt, bad general condition. No fat pads. Facial features serious, skull and forehead nerves free, pupils evenly round, .........., speech natural and clear.
Above the lungs single.......
Breast and stomach organs free.
Musculature reduced, ..........
Reflexes lively left and right. Sensibility.....
Mentally: Gloomy, no mood.
Facial features serious, sometimes morose.
28.5.47 Sleep badly, joins others normal, speaks little.

Best regards
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 06 Dec 2020, 14:36

Gerrit,
9.pdf is another index card regarding his stay in the sickbay. The date shows only 25.-30.July.
The entries stops on 30.July as he was sent back into the Camp.

10.pdf:

His condition is characterized by a depressive, morose condition.
24/7 Inner organs w/o findings. The considerable underweight is according to previous observation largely caused by his constitution and not by alimentary.
30/7 Dismissed into Camp
(Signature)

In the morning of 3/8 admission in sickbay due to collapse condition. Ende ist allegedly in a hunger strike since 30/7, because he wants to enforce his dismissal or his transfer to the Netherlands.
He refuses any ingestion and is transferred by order of the Gouverneur to Velen.

5/8 After admission to Hospital Velen ending of hunger strike until now.

8/8 On order transferred back to Recklinghausen. Receives normal diet from now on.
(Signature)

So with this we now know that your great uncle was interned in Internment Camp Recklinghausen-Hillerheide:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interni ... illerheide

Unfortunately this website ist only available in German, but you can see the ground plan and some pictures.

Best regards
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 07 Dec 2020, 23:07

Gerrit,
Here's the last page 2.pdf. The are some blanks where the sentences are cut off:

30.1.47: Mostly calm and reserved. Good .....
ingestion. Sleep still severely disturbed, receives barbiturate.
2.II.47: Sometimes causing trouble due to his...
Joins other people only if they create advantages for him.
4.II.47: Moody, but in whole sufficient.....
Temporarily strong sleep disorder.
27.III.47: Disgruntled, refuses any ingestion.
Is worried about his family.....
2.IV.47: During the last days mentally fully balanced, takes regularely...
Due to lack of space transferred back today to Camp IV.

Gerrit,
That's it. I think your great uncle suffered something we would nowadays call Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

It's a pity that you don't know what happened to him. Take a look at this Dutch website. There you find some links to Durch authorities, where you maybe find informations about his fate.

http://www.waffen-ss.nl/nederlandschess.php

Best regards
Armin

gvanderende

Post by gvanderende » 11 Dec 2020, 02:24

Armin,

Thank you so much for your help in translating these documents.

Gerrit

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Dec 2020, 19:41

Yes!

Armin/"Hohlladung" did an excellent job, translating all this, Bravo! :thumbsup:

Something like this is not self-evident, therefore my respect to Armin.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”