Decipher Service Record for Pioneer

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Andy B

Decipher Service Record for Pioneer

Post by Andy B » 23 Mar 2021 19:17

Hi Guys,
Have just come in possession of a family members service records, who served as a Pioneer. Would be grateful if someone is able to de-code some of the abbreviations. I've attached a copy of his service record and have highlighted the items that I'm interested to know what these mean and what his position was. Particularly interested in the entry for Honved Pioneer deployment in Hungary and what this might of been for, as I can not find any info on Pioneers in Hungary around this time. Also very interested in the entry Kdt. zum OKH and whether this stating he was Kommandant to the General of Pioneers & Festungs at the Oberkommando des Heeres?
Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Many thanks, Andy
War servicve record.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hohlladung

Re: Decipher Service Record for Pioneer

Post by Hohlladung » 24 Mar 2021 19:09

Hi Andy,

Here for a start:

Zugf. = Zugführer/Platoon Leader
Kp. Chef = Kompaniechef/Company Leader
b.St. = beim Stab/in the Staff
kdt.Gen.Kdo= kommandiert zum Generalkommando/commanded to ....
Waffen-Kdo 5./A.R. 2 = Waffen-Kommando 5. Batterie/Artillerie Regiment 2
Kdo.z.Ausb.d.ung.Honved-Pion. nach Ungarn = Kommando zur Ausbildung der ungarischen Honved-Pioniere nach Ungarn/Commando for training the Hungarian Honved Pioneers in Hungary

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Andy B

Post by Andy B » 25 Mar 2021 10:32

Hi Armin,
Thanks for taking the time to decode this for me, very grateful.

As I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but if he was with the Pioneer-Lehr Battalion 1, he would of been attached to the 1st army Infantry division, and if Battalion 6, then 6th Infantry division etc, is that how it worked? I'm trying to see what theatres he fought in, and looks to me like possibly Poland/Warsaw at the beginning, following by Belgium/France, then the start of the Russian campaign (Leningrad/Tichwin) with Army Group North.

Ref to his awards, do you know what this medal is, 1.pz nahbekampfungsabzeichen ? Can find no record of this in all my searches.

Finally, if not too much to ask, Are you any good at deciphering/reading written German, I have some other documents/reports, which although some of it is typed others parts are hand written and I can't fathom it at all?

Once again, thanks for your time, it is much appreciated.

Brgds, Andy

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 Mar 2021 11:17

1.pz nahbekampfungsabzeichen
Panzernahbekämpfung means Anti-tank combat. Perhaps you are talking about Tank Destruction Badge ?
Pioneer-Lehr Battalion 1, he would of been attached to the 1st army Infantry division,
That unit was part of Heerestruppen, an independent unit, assigned temporarily to support a formation, usually under Army or Corps command.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 25 Mar 2021 11:22

Andy,

Pz.Nahbekämpfungsabzeichen take a look at this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Destruction_Badge.

With both Iron Crosses, Wounded Badge silver, East Medal, Assault Badge, Tank Destruktion Badge and Close Combat Clasp, he saw some battle action.

If you need more to translate, just post it. If it is too personal, send me a PM.

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Andy B

Post by Andy B » 25 Mar 2021 13:35

Hi Armin,
The Tank Destruction badge is prob most likely what it is, but it is strange how it has been written as "Pz.Nahbekämpfungsabzeichen" rather than Panzervernichtungsabzeichen? He has also the following noted after the award "Silb.Verw.Abz.", which I believe is silver and wound strip.
Unfortunately all the documents I was able to source from the Bundesarchiv, none were of any awards certificates.
That unit was part of Heerestruppen, an independent unit, assigned temporarily to support a formation, usually under Army or Corps command
Is there a way to know what formation his unit may have been assigned to, and to which infantry? this has confused me a little now and am unsure I've done my research correctly into which field of operations he may have seen action in.

With regards to the hand written comments, I've attached all of them here, grateful for any light you may be able to shine on these, but appreciate some are near impossible to read.

Brgds, Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 25 Mar 2021 14:09

Andy,
To finish your first request:

Ia/Fest.Pi.Kdr IV= Ia is a position in the Staff of Festungs-Pionier-Kommandeur IV

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... PiK4-R.htm

kdt.z.Wa.A./Was Prüf Fest = kommandiert zum Heereswaffenamt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenamt

kdt. zum OKH/ Gen d Pi U Fest = kommandiert zum Oberkommando des Heeres

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberkommando_des_Heeres

Andy B

Post by Andy B » 25 Mar 2021 15:30

Ia/Fest.Pi.Kdr IV= Ia is a position in the Staff of Festungs-Pionier-Kommandeur IV
Could "Ia" be "Operations Officer" as per below....?

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 25 Mar 2021 16:14

Andy,
Your definition for Ia is correct.
Forget your questions about infantry units. Your relative was a Pioneer (I think Anglo-Saxons prefer the term Engineer).
You can learn a lot about his military career from page 2 and 3:

1) joined the army on July 15th, 1933 with Pioneer Btl 3
2) swearing in on September 5th, 1933
3) from July 15th-September 26th, 1933 basic training for NCO candidates with Pioneer Btl 3
4)from October 10th-December 19th, 1933 commanded to NCO candidate couse with Pioneer Btl 6 in Minden
5) October 1st, 1933 promoted to Private
6) Decmber 20th, 1933 appointed to NCO
7) May 1st, 1934 appointed to Fahnenjunker (NCO officer´s candidate)
8) August 2nd, 1934 new sworn in ( the Wehrmacht changed the oath now onto the Führer)
9) September 1st, 1934 promoted to Fährich (ensign/sergeant as officer´s candidate)
10) December 17th, 1934 promoted to Oberfänrich (senior ensign /with effective date of December 1st, 1934)
11) December 21st, 1939 course finished (Pioneer Btl. Küstrin)
12) April 20th, 1935 promoted to Leutnant (with effective date of April 1st, 1935)
13) October 15th, 1935 transferred to 1.Kp/ Pi.Btl. 43
14) April 28th, 1936 military drivers license 1, 2 and 3
15) October 6th, 1936 transferred to 2.Kp/Pi.Lehr u. Vers. Btl. 1
16) November 2nd, 1936-February 24th, 1937 Pionierschule II (Fähnrichslehrgang)
17) February 5th, 1937 Permisson for marriage with Irene Wanner
18) August 7th, 1937 commanded to Pi.Ers. I from October 1st,1937-September 30th, 1939
19) May 31st, 1938 promoted to first lieutenant (with effective date June 1st, 1938)
20) November 10th, 1938 1.Kp/Pi.Lehr. Btl (accord staffing)
21) April 20th, 1941 promoted to Hauptmann (Captain with effective date April 1st, 1941)
22) March 14th, 1942 transferred to Fest.Pi.Kdr. IV (with effective date February 11th, 1942
23)May 19th, 1943 transferred to Wehrkreiskommando III Führerreserve (with effective date of March 7th 1941)
24) June 18th, 1943 transferred to Pi Btl 10 (as Cdr. with effective date of April15th, 1943)

Andy B

Post by Andy B » 25 Mar 2021 18:17

Thanks for all that Armin, You type very quickly and have amazing reading skills to obtain all that.
Forget your questions about infantry units. Your relative was a Pioneer (I think Anglo-Saxons prefer the term Engineer).
You can learn a lot about his military career from page 2 and 3:
Yes the term Engineer is one that I am more familiar with and feel better describes their role.
If I should forget infantry units, how best would I find out where his pioneer battalions were assigned? I can guess when he is assigned to XXXIX Gen. A.K (39th Army corp)? that this is Army group North & the Russian Front, but where would I find his location say for Pioneer Battalion 10 as per line 24) in Jun 1943?

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 25 Mar 2021 22:07

Andy,

The Pionier Bataillon 10 was attached to the 10. Infanterie Division:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... at10-R.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... 10ID-R.htm

Best regards
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 26 Mar 2021 19:18

Andy,

here´s the rest of his personnel record page 3:

25 November 1st, 1943 promoted to Major, (9b) Vfg. 7710/43 v.8.12.43
26 December 15th, 1943 transferred to Führer Reserve ( Führ.Res.vers. unter gleichz. Kdg. (unter 4 Monate) z. O.K.H.
27. April 15th, 1944 kdt. z. O.K.H (Gen d.Pi. u. Fest (Vfg. 4895 v. 31.7.449

Best Regrds
Armin

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 26 Mar 2021 19:53

Andy,

i hope your German is still good.

Assessment Report 1942:

Zusätze
vorgesetzter Dienststellen:

Fortsetzung von Seite 1.
...mit gesundem Selbstbewußtsein. Entschlußfreudig, voll Schwung u.(nd) Energie. Bei Kameraden u.(nd) Vorgesetzten geachtet. Schnelle Auffassungsgabe, vertritt seine Ansichten klar u.(nd) bestimmt. Im praktischen Frontdienst über dem Durchschnitt stehend, hat er sich als Komp.(anie) Chef voll bewährt. Als Offizier beim Stabe auf Grund seines Könnens u.(nd) seiner taktischen Begabung trotz seiner Jugend eine ausgezeichnete Stütze seines Kdrs.(Kommandeurs). In der Behandlung seiner Untergebenen einwandfrei.
Geistig überdurchschnittlich begabt, zeigt er vielseitige Neigungen auf dienstlichen u.(nd) außerdienstlichen Gebieten.
Körperlich gesund u.(nd) voll einsatzfähig.
Außerdienstliches Auftreten bei guten Formen einwandfrei.
Zur Genstb. Ausbildung uneingeschränkt geeignet.
Besitzt EK. II u.(nd) I. Kl.(asse) u.(nd) Sturmabzeichen

Bestrafungen
keine

Inspekteur der Ostbefestigungen
mir nicht bekannt
i.V.
Züchel, Oberst

Best regards
Armin

Andy B

Post by Andy B » 26 Mar 2021 21:29

Thanks Armin,
My German is not that great, but from what I can understand, that's a pretty glowing assessment. He was obviously an excellent soldier and well suited to the military.

Thanks for the link to the 10th Infantry division, from what I've been able to read/research, it looks like he may well have been right in the heart of the Russian counter offensive to re-take Orel (Operation Kutuzov) with the 2nd Panzer Army.
After this he was then sent to Pioneer Ersatz Bttl 46, would this mean he was sent back to Germany (Regensburg)? I believe this Battalion was under the administration of WehrKreis XIII.

I would love to be able to find out where he was when in Pioneer-Lehr Battalion 1 before being sent to the Russian front, do you know if there any sites where I might find this info?

Thanks again, for all your time and effort, you are allowing me to have a very interesting understanding of my Great Uncle.

Brgds, Andy

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 27 Mar 2021 01:03

Andy,

I do mainly translations. The research you have to do on your own. I think you will find help here in the Forum.
Try to start with the history of 10.th Inf. Division. There is a book available.
You will find a lot here:

https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... bataillone

Did your relative survive the war? Is a picture available?

Best regards
Armin

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”