German military term translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Hohlladung

Re: German military term translation

Post by Hohlladung » 25 Jul 2022, 19:43

Tom,

It reads:

Strohfahrt führte II./9

(Strohfahrt led II./9)

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 26 Jul 2022, 16:36

Armin,

Thanks - I would never have got that right!

Much obliged,

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Feb 2024, 22:14

Hi all,

Sorry, back looking for help with some translations:
Sie wird gebildet von dem III/5., dem IV./5., dem Komp.Tr. und einem Pakzug der Stabskp. I.u.II./5 folgen im Gros.
I make that:
It is formed of the III Platoon/5 Kp., the IV Platoon/5 Kp., the Company. Trupp [??] and a Pak Platoon of the Command Company. I and II Platoons/5 Kp. generally follow.
Am I right in thinking the Roman numerals denote Platoons, it's from a report by a 5 Company so it seems to make sense. Not sure about the Komp.Tr. though - i think Tr. must be an abbreviation for Trupp but is that the whole of the Company Headquarters or just a detachment of it? And, finally, is the reference to Stabskp likely to mean the HQ Company of the entire II Battalion? Does that fit the reference to a Pak Platoon?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

Tom

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 11 Feb 2024, 07:03

I think you are right, that wouldn't be Komp. Tross, as only combat units are mentioned.
To be sure you might have a look at KStN of that Battalion, Stabskomp. comes from, which combat element are we talking here? Inf.? Panz.?

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 11 Feb 2024, 12:45

GregSingh wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 07:03
I think you are right, that wouldn't be Komp. Tross, as only combat units are mentioned.
To be sure you might have a look at KStN of that Battalion, Stabskomp. comes from, which combat element are we talking here? Inf.? Panz.?
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Good idea to look at the KStN, I'll try that.

The unit is 5 Company II Battalion Panzer Grenadier Regiment 1 HG and its dated September 1943.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 12 Feb 2024, 01:06

I’ve found more information which suggests that the Stabskompanie Pz.Gr.Rgt. 1 HG was attached to Kampfgruppe Haas and it seems most likely, therefore, that the reference in my post 33 was therefore to the Regimental HQ Company.

Regards

Tom

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”