Help with Translation on Death Card

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Suzan J

Help with Translation on Death Card

Post by Suzan J » 14 May 2021, 22:53

I was hoping that someone could help me to translate the information on the death card. The back of the card shows the word "grabbage" which I understand means "burial place". I tried to google the place of death which seems to read "Demeschkino" ?? (presume Russia) on the card but nothing comes up so that must not be the correct spelling. I also googled the date of death to determine if there was some sort of battle of significance on that date but again, nothing shows up. Also, what is the significance of the symbol in the upper right corner that looks like a cross of some sort. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
Attachments
Back.jpg
Front.jpg

Knouterer

Re: Help with Translation on Death Card

Post by Knouterer » 15 May 2021, 10:10

The word is "Grablage", meaning position of the grave.
Apparently there was fierce fighting around Demeschkino (Demeshkovo in Russian accounts) in December 1943, when this Obergefreiter fell.
An account: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/histor ... nkers.html

Your man served in the 67th Grenadier Regiment, which was part of the 23rd Infanteriedivision:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Infa ... Wehrmacht)
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 15 May 2021, 12:08

This account might be correct, but the map there certainly shows wrong Demeschkino. (SW of Ostrov, near Latvian border.)

At the end of 1943, 23.ID together with 290.ID were fighting NW of Nevel.
Here is correct Demeschkino (in yellow circle), and in red - location of the grave (SE of Slutki, crossroads with Ljutkovo road).
Nevel is in bottom-right corner of the map.

(Click on map to see in full resolution)
RKKA100_O-35-144.jpg

Suzan J

Post by Suzan J » 15 May 2021, 14:26

Thank you for the quick reply. The link you provided is an excellent description of this battle. I hope you don’t mind if I trouble you with a few more questions. On the front of the card there is a phrase after the word “gefallen”. It shows as two letters of T and G and what looks like “bauerfisch”. What could that mean?

There are words and numbers at the bottom of the front of the card. It repeats the regiment number and shows a date of 24 Feb 1944. Could this be the date the card was prepared and the family notified?

On the back of the card, what do the remaining words and numbers mean under the description of the intersection of the burial location?

This may be a stupid question but would the bodies have been exhumed at any point and buried elsewhere or would this become simply a forgotten and unmarked grave?

And finally, what is the significance of the symbol in the upper right corner on the front of the card?

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 15 May 2021, 16:50

Hi Suzan,

It reads:

gefallen: I.G. Bauchsch. ( Infanteriegeschoß Bauchschuß)
Killed in action by an infantry bullit stomach shot.

The cross in the upper right corner of the index card stands for "Deceased".

His rank was: Obergefreiter (Corporal).

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 16 May 2021, 03:28

On the back of the card, what do the remaining words and numbers mean under the description of the intersection of the burial location?
Heldenfriedhof d.(er) 290 I.D.
Military cemetery of 290 Infantry Division.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 16 May 2021, 15:58

Suzan,

He will today most likely be buried as an unknown solider here:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch ... tte_Sebesh

https://kriegsgraeberstaetten.volksbund ... hof/sebesh

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Suzan J

Post by Suzan J » 16 May 2021, 23:37

Thank you all so much for the information. It is quite interesting to learn that the graves in that region have been consolidated as outlined in your post. I have learned so much in the last few days thanks to your willingness to answer my questions. The account of the fighting in late 1943 in the Nevel area is so well described in the links you provided. The soldier in question is my mother's brother (my uncle) and up to now I had no idea what became of him. I was fortunate to find the "death card" on Ancestry and with the information on the card identifying his birth place and his father's name, I can conclude without doubt that this particular Wilhelm Schmitz is indeed my uncle. Sadly, he had two other brothers who also perished but to date I have not found any documents for them.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”