German Word Translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Zirran

German Word Translation

Post by Zirran » 14 Aug 2021, 14:34

Hey guys.

I'm trying to find a translation for the word "Walter/Walterin", especially when it is used in other words such as Blockwalter, Reichswalters, Gebietswalter etc.

GregSingh

Re: German Word Translation

Post by GregSingh » 16 Aug 2021, 12:04

I would say "administrator".
I think it's from old Waltung = to govern / administer / rule.

Zirran

Post by Zirran » 16 Aug 2021, 16:44

Thank you GregSingh, that is most helpful.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Aug 2021, 16:52

Zirran,

a "Blockwart" / "Blockleiter" was something like a simple janitor, usually a tight NSDAP member, who more or less secretly supervised the entire neighborhood.

Blockleiter https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockleiter

This perfidious system of total surveillance of the neighborhood, was adopted 1:1 decades later by the red-coated Nazis in the former DDR.

The same methods, slander, pissing off, wiretapping, denunciation, but on a much higher level...

Very nasty topic, very typical for many German "characters", even today... 8O

Hans
Attachments
Blockwart Schild.jpg
Blockwart Schild.jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 17 Aug 2021, 03:53

This is a translation help section of the Forum, so let's help translating. Question was about ...walter, not ...wart or ...leiter.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 17 Aug 2021, 13:21

Hi Zirran,

This is very confusing, there must be a typo. Why don't you show the whole sentence?

There is no German word like "Gebietswalter". My guess is that you mean "Verwalter"?

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 18 Aug 2021, 03:39

There was a quite complex structure for administering technical schools and settlements in some areas with large mining industry presence (all under Reichsarbeitsministerium). After Fritz Todt (Reichswalter) death, Albert Speer simplified it.

Some examples:

Oct1941.jpg
Nov1942.jpg
Nov1942.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Jan1941.jpg
Jan1941.jpg (33.03 KiB) Viewed 4158 times

Waltung hardly appears in any German on-line dictionary.
One of the examples I could find was in the Bible! But even there it was later replaced by regiere.
16 Gott machte die zwei großen Leuchten, die größre Leuchte zur Waltung des Tags und die kleinre Leuchte zur Waltung der Nacht, und die Sterne.

16 Und Gott machte zwei große Lichter: ein großes Licht, das den Tag regiere, und ein kleines Licht, das die Nacht regiere, dazu auch Sterne.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 18 Aug 2021, 10:39

Good find Greg,

Never read something like this before, so I think it is some position, not a rank, within the NSDAP-Organisation (DAF?).

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Aug 2021, 11:35

Moin Armin,

a German phrase that I'm sure you're familiar with is: "Das walte Hugo!".

Woher kommt die Redewendung „Das walte Hugo“ und was bedeutet sie? https://www.cosmiq.de/qa/show/297520/Wo ... alte-Hugo/
The saying means as much as: "God decides about it" / "That is certain"! Mainly in the Ruhr area he is still common and customary today. The saying fits in situations when you are one hundred percent sure of something! Or you believe, something develops with certainty in an expected direction. In other words: Something is "dead certain".
Sorry for the little digression. :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Zirran

Post by Zirran » 18 Aug 2021, 18:59

Hey guys.

For context, i've been translating the Reichsorganisationsbuch 1943, I found Walter in several places in the book.

Here's one example under "Personalunterlagen fur Politische Leiter sind":

"Anträge auf Ernennung, Beurlaubung, Versetzung und Enthebung für Politische Leiter, Walter und Warte sowie NSF.-Leiterinnen und Walterinnen in den angeschlossenen Verbänden werden über die jeweiligen Personalabteilungen dieser Verbände umgehend an die für die Erledigung der Anträge zuständigen Personalämter weitergeleitet."

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Aug 2021, 20:03

Zirran,

The above nitpicking makes no difference, an "XXX-walter", or "(Ver)walter /Administrator" stood, and stands for a person in an elevated position, as long as you shake on it too.

Hans

kelseyradley

Post by kelseyradley » 21 Aug 2023, 04:22

Hello, guys

I've been translating the Reichsorganisationsbuch 1943, and I came across Walter in various places.

Here is one illustration under "Personnel records for Political Leaders are":

Applications for appointment, leaves of absence, transfers, and dismissals of political leaders, Walter and Warden, as well as NSF leaders, are immediately forwarded to the personnel offices responsible for processing the applications via the relevant personnel departments of these associations. 
tunnel rush

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”