Translation of Death Card

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Suzan J

Translation of Death Card

Post by Suzan J » 08 Sep 2021, 19:16

Greetings All

You had previously assisted me with the translation of a death card and I am hoping you can do so again. The attached card is for Clemenz Schmitz who died on 17 December 1942. What is the place of death? I can only make out the word "Bol" but cannot read the following word. Can you provide me with links as to what particular battle would be involved.

Next to the word "gefallen" which I understand to mean "died in battle" is the phrase "F.G. Sterks?? Lunge." Does this mean he was mortally wounded in the lungs?

Grabbage which I understand to mean "position of burial" shows Heldenfried Godilovo. Is this a particular cemetery? A google search shows me only that there is such a place called Godilovo near Novgorad but makes no mention of any kind of military cemetery.

What does "16 Bl 4" mean in the last row of the document?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Suzan Johnson
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 12.50.03 PM.jpg

GregSingh

Re: Translation of Death Card

Post by GregSingh » 09 Sep 2021, 01:20

Place of death is written as Bol-Sstretschno.
In Russian it would be (Бол)ьшое Стречно.
In English - Bol'shoe Strechno.

It still appears on Soviet map from 1983, but does not exist anymore.
It was approximately somewhere here:
57°39'29.5"N 31°52'34.5"E or
57.658187, 31.876262

Godilovo does not exist anymore as well, it was nearby.
Here:
57°42'10.0"N 31°49'13.3"E or
57.702784, 31.820366

Those small German military cemeteries were usually destroyed after the war. Perhaps his body was reburied.
Try here: https://www.volksbund.de/erinnern-geden ... che-online

Suzan J

Post by Suzan J » 09 Sep 2021, 02:21

Thank you for quick reply. I am assuming that the now abandoned city of Bol-Sstretschno must have been near Godilovo as that location is marked under the heading of "Grablage". Godilovo appears to be in the area of Novgorad which is in the northwest of the country somewhat southeast of Leningrad. Was there a particular battle or offensive that took place at, or near, 17 December 1942 or would the death of this soldier have been part of an ongoing attrition of troops being pushed back by Red Army forces.

Interestingly, the death card for this man's brother, Wilhelm, shows his death at Demeshkovo exactly one year later on 17 December 1943. His place of death is much closer to the Latvian border and there was a battle of significance on that date. (I was previously advised of this by an earlier posting that I submitted relating to Willi Schmitz). I can't seem to find anything related to any fighting in the area where Clemenz died.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 09 Sep 2021, 02:59

Grenadier-Regiment 424 was part of 126. Infanterie-Division. (Try maps at this link).
That unit for months (from July 1942 to February 1943) was securing the only road in/out of Demyansk. (See Demyansk Pocket).

Type coordinates I provided in the previous post into Google search or Google Maps and it will get you to the area.

Others might need to confirm, but I think reason for death is "severely damaged lungs (caused by) enemy rifle fire".

AliasDavid

Post by AliasDavid » 09 Sep 2021, 07:41

I read the cause of death as "Infanteriegeschoss Steckschuss Lunge", that is rifle bullett hitting the lungs without leaving them again (stecken is stick).

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”