Amt and Stelle Confusion

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Zirran

Amt and Stelle Confusion

Post by Zirran » 21 Mar 2022, 19:48

Can someone please explain to me the difference between an Amt and Stelle? I know they both translate to Office but i'm wondering what the exact difference is?

Is it a form of level of Bureacraucy between Offices, or could Stelle also be read another way, for Example Department, Even though Abteilung covers that.

Because it's confusing trying to read Hauptamt, Amt, Hauptstelle, Stelle, as Main Ofiice which has an Office, which has a Main Office which has an Office.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Amt and Stelle Confusion

Post by Hans1906 » 22 Mar 2022, 19:59

Zirran,

German excessive bureaucracy, I hardly have an exact answer, but maybe this translation is helpful for you here:
Behörde (auch Amt im organisatorischen Sinne genannt) ist eine öffentliche Stelle, die die Aufgaben der öffentlichen Verwaltung wahrnimmt, die ihr aufgrund materieller Gesetze aufgegeben sind.

Authority (also called office in the organizational sense) is a public body that performs the tasks of public administration that are assigned to it by substantive laws
And now it gets even more complicated:
Link: https://www.juraforum.de/lexikon/oeffentliches-amt

Sorry for the bad answer, but probably only a German administrative officer will be able to answer your question in detail, unfortunately I'm overwhelmed with that... :roll:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Thoddy

Re: Amt and Stelle Confusion

Post by Thoddy » 11 Apr 2022, 15:53

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ffentliche_Stelle

Amt short
Das "Amt"(i.e. Sozialamt, Bauamt) is a öffentliche Stelle that makes administrative decisions(Bescheid) with a legally binding character against persons.
"Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!"

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”