ABOUT TWO WORDS

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
mitel_qy

ABOUT TWO WORDS

Post by mitel_qy » 17 Sep 2003, 07:40

"Kammhuber-Lichtspiele
Kammhuber-Riegel
WHO can explain for me in english
thanks

Scott Smith

Re: ABOUT TWO WORDS

Post by Scott Smith » 17 Sep 2003, 08:18

mitel_qy wrote:"Kammhuber-Lichtspiele
Kammhuber-Riegel
WHO can explain for me in english
thanks
Probably this means "Kammhuber light-show," i.e., Flak searchlights, and the "Kammhuber Line," which was the air-defense line of General Josef Kammhuber.

Also, in the air-defense control rooms Luftwaffe "Light Spitters" were girls who manned telephones and radios and shone their flashlights onto points along the huge map on the wall, where symbols would then be placed showing the current position of aerial forces and targets.

:)

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 17 Sep 2003, 20:05

Scott Smith has a good theory about "Kammhuber-Lichtspiele" being an ironic slang term for Kammhuber's air defense line, but allow me to correct one thing about the term's real meaning: "Lichtspiel", which literally does translate as "light-play" or "light-show" indeed, is really an obsolete term for "movie". Thus, cinemas used to be known as "Lichtspielhäuser" before of the modern term "Kinos" became the norm. (A movie projector's lightbeam in the dark does resemble a anti-aircraft battery's searchlight beam.)

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 03 Oct 2003, 10:48

HPL2008 wrote:Scott Smith has a good theory about "Kammhuber-Lichtspiele" being an ironic slang term for Kammhuber's air defense line, but allow me to correct one thing about the term's real meaning: "Lichtspiel", which literally does translate as "light-play" or "light-show" indeed, is really an obsolete term for "movie". Thus, cinemas used to be known as "Lichtspielhäuser" before of the modern term "Kinos" became the norm. (A movie projector's lightbeam in the dark does resemble a anti-aircraft battery's searchlight beam.)
"Chinese shadow alike"?

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”