wenn alle untreu werden translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Oderint Dvm Metvant

wenn alle untreu werden translation

Post by Oderint Dvm Metvant » 27 Oct 2003, 02:39

Hello all, just wondering if any native german speakers or someone who is further along with their German studies could give me an accurate translation of the SS song "wenn alle untreu werden"? I find when I translate things literally I miss some of the poetry of it...
Thanks for any help.

AddyYarbrough

Post by AddyYarbrough » 27 Oct 2003, 04:05

If all become unfaithful

Oderint Dvm Metvant

Post by Oderint Dvm Metvant » 27 Oct 2003, 04:24

To clarify: I meant the lyrics of the entire song which you can find listed on the songs section of the Factbook

Heraklit

Translations

Post by Heraklit » 28 Oct 2003, 20:11

If you are able to understand von Schenkendorf's literal meaning, the other nuances of his Treuelied will possibly be clearer to you as your knowledge of the German language, and German literature and history increases.

Professional translators are likely to agree that poetry is the most difficult of all translations. Prose translations as well frequently fail to capture all the nuances implied or explicit, particularly of a language such as German which is replete with multitudinous subtle distinctions and shades of meaning.

Translating is an art in itself and a translation of even a simple rhyme is usually a new creation based on the subject of the translation. In poetry, not only does one have to render the meaning of the original work, but the form, conceit, rhythm, sounds, harmony, and tone, all of which together present essentially insurmountable problems.

Prose translations authorized and approved by the original writer are also likely to contain unavoidable differences. Examples abound: Oswald Spengler as translated by the gifted Charles Francis Atkinson probably could not be improved upon, yet much of Spengler is lost even in the sensitive renderings of Atkinson.

Probably in jest, some German scholars have boasted that their translations of Shakespeare are superior to the original Elizabethan English, in "music" and in depth of thought. In any event they are always in reality different literary works, sharing a common theme.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”