Arrowhead

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Raf

Arrowhead

Post by Raf » 04 Nov 2003, 12:09

When I read about the history of units on the web, I sometimes encounter the expression "with arrowhead", like in the examples below. Can anyone explain what this means ?

41st Armored Infantry Regiment:
- Algeria-French Morocco with arrowhead.

506th Infantry
-Normandy (with arrowhead)
-Rhineland (with arrowhead)

504th Infantry Regiment
-Sicily (with arrowhead)
-Naples-Foggia
-Anzio (with arrowhead)
-Rhineland (with arrowhead)

DunklerProphet

Post by DunklerProphet » 22 Nov 2003, 00:11

I think that means that those units were used to attack the enemy lines and clear the way for following units.

Heraklit

Post by Heraklit » 22 Nov 2003, 04:10

The context of the use of the word "arrowhead" is not clear in the question.

However, in the US Army a bronze replica of an Indian arrowhead on a campaign ribbon denotes participation in a combat parachute jump, helicopter assault landing, combat glider landing, or amphibious assault landing, while assigned or attached as a member of an organized force carrying out an assigned tactical mission. A soldier must actually exit the aircraft or watercraft to receive assault credit for an arrowhead to be authorized for wear on his campaign ribbon.

Amongst the units mentioned above may have been the 504th and 506th Parachute Infantry Regiments during World War II. The campaign would have been the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”