Help with a few Finnish words/phrases

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
USAF1986

Help with a few Finnish words/phrases

Post by USAF1986 » 26 Nov 2003, 03:34

Hi! Courtesy of Tom, I recently received the Finnish award lists for the German recipients of the Order of the Cross of Liberty. Can anyone please translate the following words?

kansalaisansioista – Used in conjunction with the Order of the Cross of Liberty, 2nd Class awarded to a German Oberregierungsrat. Is this some type of special distinction within that class of the decoration?

ylikenttälääkäri – A rank. The first few Finnish documents list the German recipients with Finnish ranks but then switch to the German words. This one has me stumped!

Luettelo
Ylipäällikön Myöntämistä
Kunniamerkeistä

This is the title to each document, all of which are numbered and dated sequentially. I presume these are army-level orders. They look very similar to award orders issued by my own branch of service even today!

Under the title of each document is written:

Suomen Puolustusvoimain Ylipäällikkö Sotomarsalkka Mannerheim on sodassa v. 1941 myöntänyt allemainituille saksalaisille seuraavat kunniamerkit.

Perhaps something to the effect of awards to Germans upon the authority of Marshal Mannerheim in 1941? Just a guess!

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Shawn

TL

Finnish phrases etc.

Post by TL » 26 Nov 2003, 17:59

Hi Shawn!

Kansalaisansioista: 'for merits as a citizen' would, I dare say, be the closest equivalent in English

Ylikenttälääkäri: 'head field doctor' sounds more like a post to me but anyway is the direct translation

Luettelo Ylipäällikön myöntämistä kunniamerkeistä: 'a list of decorations awarded by the commander-in-chief'

Suomen Puolustusvoimain Ylipäällikkö Sotamarsalkka Mannerheim on sodassa v. 1941 myöntänyt allamainituille saksalaisille seuraavat kunniamerkit: 'the commander-in-chief of the Finnish Defence Force Field Marshal Mannerheim has in the war, in the year 1941, awarded to the Germans mentioned below the following decorations' (note that I have corrected a couple of typos)

There you go,

TL

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 26 Nov 2003, 23:27

TL,

Thank you for your kind assistance...much appreciated!

Regards,
Shawn

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”