Polish/German Place Names (inspired by Musashi)

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Polish/German Place Names (inspired by Musashi)

Post by David C. Clarke » 14 Dec 2003, 20:26

I say "inspired by Musashi" because he has been so helpful!!
Follow this link and scroll down the page and you will find a list of town and city names with their equivalents in both Polish and German. There are actually two lists, one keyed to the Polish name, the other to the German name:

http://www.rollintl.com/roll/poland.htm

Best Regards, David

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 14 Dec 2003, 21:36

Oh, thank You :)
If you want to get to know where I live look at the map and the square 66. You can't see my town on the map, but its located exactly between Landsberg (Gorzów Wlkp. in Polish; I study there) and Küstrin (Kostrzyn in Polish). The name of my town is Witnica (Vitnitsa in English pronounciation) and Vietz in German. It gained the city rights in 1935 and has 8000 inhabitants.
Best regards,
Chris

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 14 Dec 2003, 22:27

Wow Chris, talk about living in the middle of a former battlefield!!!
I had no idea you lived in that area. Incidently, I found this site while looking for information on the Reise topic! :D

Best Regards, David

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 14 Dec 2003, 22:43

There were not big battles in the victinity of my town in WW II. There was the Battle of Zorndorf between Prussians and Russians in 1758. Look at this. I found it for you by google. Zorndorf is called Sarbinowo now and its placed about 15 km westwards from my city. Its a very small village. I have very close to Berlin and Seelow Heights. You know about that place?... A massacre.... I was in a museum there. Unfortunately I had not a camera :(
Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”