Publishing & translating private letters - is it fair?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Publishing & translating private letters - is it fair?

Post by Musashi » 28 Dec 2003, 14:17

I think "Breaking the Sound Barrier" subforum is a great idea generally :D We can help the other members and we can also receive help from them. According to my question - is it fair to publish and translate private letters?
For me its not. Its fair if a letter belongs to somebody's family and has been written by a uncle, brother, grandfather or somebody other from his family. However if a letter has been founded accidentally and does not belong to the family - its not fair. What if somebody translated YOUR letters without YOUR knowledge and permission? For me it does not differ from for example reading the private e-mails without somebody's knowledge and permission.
What is your opinion about it?

Germania

Post by Germania » 28 Dec 2003, 14:47

You must not post them here you can always asl for an translater and if you can send the letters as copy to him personal and he translate for you and send them back. I think this is a good way to deal with private letters!

agibaer

Post by agibaer » 29 Dec 2003, 15:46

I think most of the people who've written those letters are dead by now and can't be offended. Also Feldpost is a very valuable part of military history and important for researchers as it shows how soldiers felt out in the field, on ships etc. There's always censorship on letters by every party involved in a war but I think it's easy to read between the lines, see the hopes and fears and the different thinking back then compared to our time. Not only in german but also in allied felpost.

regards
robert

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”