Difference between "Du" and "Sie"

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
viriato

Post by viriato » 13 Jan 2004, 00:16

Kocjo wrote:
Yes, we still use it. :D
Well that said I think I will leave any thoughts of learning Slovenian for late... 8) :lol:

Locke

Post by Locke » 13 Jan 2004, 15:20

viriato wrote:Kocjo wrote:
Yes, we still use it. :D
Well that said I think I will leave any thoughts of learning Slovenian for late... 8) :lol:
Well, dual isn't the hardest thing to learn in Slovenian 8) , but it's surely not an easy language.

regards,
Polona

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 13 Jan 2004, 19:57

viriato wrote:Hello HPL2008:

Are you acquainted to this?
The dual has disappeared as a category in German, but a few formal traces remain as plurals in German dialects (e.g. Bavarian enk "ihr")
Yes, I am. "Enk" - although I think it sounds softer, more like "Ehng" - is still used in broad Bavarian dialect, but it is actually the dialect term for "Euch" (= dative and accusative plural for the personal pronoun "ihr"), while "Euch" itself sounds more like "Eich" in our dialect, by the way.
It is, however, general plural and not specific to addressing two people; it could be two or any higher number as well.

Tony Slug

Post by Tony Slug » 15 Jan 2004, 11:38

Just adding 2 measly cents here, but "Sie" can also mean "they".

Hence "Sie sind" could mean "You are" (polite form)
and "sie sind" means "they are".

I think the distinction is made using the capital "S" for the polite form of "You" while low caps "s" would indicate plural.

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 16 Jan 2004, 23:12

Locke wrote:Well, dual isn't the hardest thing to learn in Slovenian , but it's surely not an easy language.
I think a good term for all Slavic languages would be Mutually difficult. I have had some schooling in Russian and can admit it was quite complicated for me as an english speaker but since I grew up with family that speaks croatian, and polish I dont have near as much trouble as other students but then again I have not reached the complicated portions of the language and also the cyrillic alphabet is another hurdel that must be overcome with time.

A question... I have heard that with slavic languages as they do have a fair amount of common ground how well can you (ie Slavic language speakers) get by with others. For instance can you as a slovenian speaker get the jist of a polishman's conversation?

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”