Hauptman Plural

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 09 Jan 2004, 13:22

Nower days, according to the reformed (Seigh!/ Seufz!) german language, it is ok to say: General -> Generäle, Admiral -> Admiräle.
But before, I think until mid/ late 1980s, it was: Generale and Admirale, both without "Umlaut"!
Regards

reichsautobahn

Post by reichsautobahn » 09 Jan 2004, 17:21

In the old orthography, "Generale" was the normal standard plural form, "Generäle" was also admitted as a second, though not standard form.

There are also more terms of profession where sing. -mann becomes plural -leute, e. g. Kaufmann, Kaufleute.

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jan 2004, 17:36

Another things that's always interested me, it appears that there's no German word for "sir".

So if you're a private in the German army (of any period) and a Hauptmann or General tells you to do something, you just say:

"Jowolh herr Hauptmann/General"

In the SS you dropped the "herr"?

Is this also true of the navy?

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 09 Jan 2004, 20:48

Polynikes wrote:Another things that's always interested me, it appears that there's no German word for "sir".
Well, using 'Sie' and 'Herr rank/family name' is the equivalent to call someone 'Sir'.
'Herr' has the meaning of Mister, Gentleman and Lord all rolled into one
Polynikes wrote: "Jowolh herr Hauptmann/General"
Actually: 'Jawohl Herr Hauptmann!'
Polynikes wrote:In the SS you dropped the "herr"?
Yes.
Polynikes wrote:Is this also true of the navy?
No.

Regards
Mark

agibaer

Post by agibaer » 14 Jan 2004, 14:37

reichsautobahn wrote:In the old orthography, "Generale" was the normal standard plural form, "Generäle" was also admitted as a second, though not standard form.

There are also more terms of profession where sing. -mann becomes plural -leute, e. g. Kaufmann, Kaufleute.
I'm just reading Hess' letters from imprisonment, published in 1952 by his wife (pretty interesting book) and he uses "Generäle". :D

regards
robert

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”