German translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Janne K.
Location: Studying in Aberdeen, Scotland (Home is in Finland)

German translation

Post by Janne K. » 16 Jan 2004, 17:32

Hi,

Below is something that Hitler said in Nürnberg in 1936. [It is from a book by Olavi Paavolainen "Kolmannen Valtakunnan vieraana" (As a guest of the Third Reich) (1936), he said that it would be a pity to try and translate it into Finnish.]

It would be appreciated if someone could spare his/her time and traslate the text below into English:
Wenn aber die Existenz der Wirtschaft abhängig ist von der Existenz einer höheren Ordnung, also des Staates, dann kommt, rein wirtschaftlich gesehen, alles dies der Gesammtheit auch materiell zugute, was geeignet ist, primär die Ordnung zu fördern, zu verstärken und zu bewahren. Es gibt nun nichts, was gewaltiger für die Grösse einer Ordnung zeugen könnte, als die höchste Gemeinschaftsleistung dieser Ordnung. Diese Gemeinschaftsleistung ist aber stets die kulturelle, weil sie nicht der persönlichen Befriedigung der Bedürfnisse des Einzelnen dient, sondern im Gesammten eine Verherrlichung der Gemeinschaftsarbeit durch diese ihre höchste Leistung darstellt. Es ist daher die kulturelle Tätigkeit ein element der moralischen Rechtfertigung der menschlichen Gesellschaftsordnung. Sie wird daher auch von all denen, die die menschliche Ordnung zu beseitigen beabsichtigen als etwas Gefährliches angegriffen und wenn möglich vernichtet; es ist daher logisch, dass umgekehrt ihre Erhaltung wesentlich im Intresse der Erhaltung der Ordnung liegt, d. h. aber: damit auch im Interesse des wirtschaftlichen Lebens. Ich kann daher das Ausmass aus der wirtschaftlichen Einsicht von Staatsführungen zu allen Zeiten ermessen an dem Ausmass ihres Verständnisses für die kulturellen Leistunge.
Olavi Paavolainen, Kolmannen Valtakunnan vieraana (1936)

Thank you.

Janne Kautto

Alexander Zöller

Post by Alexander Zöller » 18 Jan 2004, 00:11

"Yet if the existence of economy is dependent from the existence of a higher order, that is to say the state, then, strictly from an economic viewpoint, all of that is also of material benefit to the whole that is fit to primarily expedite, strengthen and preserve this order. There is nothing which could be greater testimony to the greatness of an order than the highest collective effort of this very order. However this [highest] collective effort is always that of culture, for it does not serve the personal satisfaction of the needs of the individual, but rather represents in its entirety a glorification of the collective work as its highest achievement. Cultural activity therefore is an element of moral justification of the human social order. As such it is being attacked and, if possible, destroyed by all of those who seek to eliminate the human order as something [they consider] dangerous; it is logical then, that conversely its preservation is in the material interest of the preservation of the [human] order, that is to say: also in the interest of economic life. For this reason I can assess the magnitude of economic insight of governances at all times by looking at the magnitude of their understanding for cultural achievements."

Tadah! 8)

I can see why the author refrained from attempting to translate it into Finnish... :roll:

Alexander

Janne K.
Location: Studying in Aberdeen, Scotland (Home is in Finland)

Post by Janne K. » 18 Jan 2004, 12:19

Alexander,

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I am not sure if it even now makes that much sense to me, aber so spricht Herr Hitler. (My lame attempt at German)

Janne Kautto

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”