Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
mil-archive

Re: Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Post by mil-archive » 04 Jul 2017, 17:30

Tom3277 wrote:Hello,

Since it's basically a SS&Polizei related work, I've thought the readers here would be eventually interested in our new book

"Globocnik’s Men in Italy, 1943-45"

published by Schiffer this year.

It also contains a lot of unpublished pictures of men belonings to the Abteilung R (which originated from Aktion Reinhard) and the SS-Wachmannschaften of the OZAK wearing peculiar SS and Ordnungspolizei uniforms, along with very rare pictures of men that belonged to SS-u.Pol.Kdr. Istrien, Stabskp. HSSPF Triest, SS/Polizei sponsored militias known as landeseigene Verbände, I.Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt.Bozen, etc.etc. along with unit insigna, SS/Polizei armours and vehicles, Then and Now comparatives shots and much more.

For more infos:

http://www.panzer-ozak.it/globocniksmen_en.htm

Very best regards
Tom
+1 This is an excellent book !

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67479&p=2060127&hi ... n#p2060127

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 05 Jul 2017, 21:35

Thanks for the kind words.

Very best regards
Looking for the Soldbuch of Hptw.d.SchP. Kurt Etowski.

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 31 Jul 2017, 20:42

Hello everybody, dear Marten

I received my copy from Marten van Dijken, Volume III of the Totenkopfverbände 1937 – 1939 some days before and I must say, a very interesting and as usual well documented “finish” of the history of this part of the SS!

With some astonishing details in 1939 that “didn´t caught my eye before”, I have to admit.
But as a fact, in e v e r y volume, I discovered n e w facts, I didn´t k now before!
So I more than glad, to have this work “in one piece” now! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, now that “the end has come”, I feel a little bit sad, too :(
because I would like to read more about the now “verstärkten Totenkopfstandarten”, the Rekrutenstandarte and the Training units until they were incorporated in the Waffen-SS in this well researched and documented way, too!

So maybe, there might be a future Volume about this time frame of the Totenkopfstandarten??? 8-)

With all the best yours Roland

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 16 Aug 2017, 15:41

volume III of Totenkopfverbände (like 2 others) is extremely well documented and illustrated upon the death head units during the year 1939. Out of organisation, leadership and regulations, it cover employment as well Bohemia Moravia than Poland.
This serie is the reference on the subject for historian and readers.
it would be most interesting that this serie could be completed by Totenkopfverbände at war up to the incorporation into Waffen-SS.
Best regards

Georges

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 18 Sep 2017, 01:01

Alexander Kirmsee Zollgrenzschutz in Frankreich 1941 - 1944 by Alexander Kirmsse (self edited by lulu.com). 2017.

Most interesting book upon frontier guards of the Custom Office. Covering the activities of a senior leader (Regierungsrat Alexander Kirmsse ) of this corps in France through Kriegstagebuch. Dealing with various Befehlsstelle activities. First in Dax alongside Ligne de Démarcation near atlantic coast up to Spain 1941 - 1943. Then after South of France was invaded he led the South France area (Mittelmeerbereich) on 1943 and finally Südost Frankriech in Gap (Alps area) 1943 till the end august 1944. Ended the war as US P.O.W. The book is fully illustrated with pics covering activities, staff, showing uniform datas. First time I read a so complete book on "police forces" of the Custom Offices.
Best regards

Georges

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 30 Dec 2017, 04:12

This is a great resource (pointed out to me by Hucks216).

You can download the 2x volumes of the reference books 'The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Encyclopedia of Camps and Ghettos, 1933-1945 ' for free in .pdf format here :

https://www.ushmm.org/research/publicat ... ble-online

You need to enter your name and address to get to the next page which has the download links.

These are otherwise expensive to purchase :

https://www.bookdepository.com/search?s ... =Find+book

These are useful in researching Polizei/SS/SD/Einsatzgruppe in relation to Jewish Ghettos & towns. The books are split into 2 parts per Volume 1 & 2 parts for Volume 2.
V1.JPG
V1.JPG (49.89 KiB) Viewed 26580 times
V2.JPG
V2.JPG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 26580 times
Regards,
Gerard

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 30 Dec 2017, 12:37

I'm gratefull to you for sharing this info.
Best regards

Georges

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 09 Aug 2018, 17:15

Georges JEROME wrote:
15 Mar 2014, 11:34
Recently bought Kasernen, Schulen und Stätten der SS und Polizei Bildband 1 to 4. by Don Lange edited by Lulu.com between 2011 and 2013.
4 thin books of 51 pages of post cards and glossy photos of building of SS and Police forces.
Perhaps a private collection.

Someone highly interesting someone desappointing

i.e. full content of band 3

Top : a serie of pics of SS-Ubungslager Dachau, SS-Motorschule Berne, TUP Beverloo, SS-JS Braunschweig, TV Building Ers. Bat Breslau, SS Kaserne Brunn, SS-Kaserne Buchenwald, SS-Lager Danzig-Matzkau,

Flop : 4 pages dedicated to Cathedral of Braunschweig, 2 pages to Schloss Dammsmühle (Himmler property ?) 6 pages on 51 !!!

For 22 euros each. It's quite expensive but....some pics are really interesting

I think I will buy following in spite of the warning.
I have been looking at these for years and recently bit the bullet and got all 6 volumes.

I'd agree with much of the assessment above.

They are a bit uneven, some volumes very interesting with some good photographs, others not so much and full of repetition.

They should have been done in one bigger volume rather than broken into 6x smaller books where you lose 8 pages at the front and 4 at the back for each volume.

They also seem a bit random and sporadic, there are entries where one or two are from Poland and the rest from Germany, others where several pages are on one topic and other entries with a single not great image.

It's hard to know how definitive this is intended to be or if it's just a catalogue of someones collection of photographs and postcards which relate to SS & Polizei barracks and schools.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 09 Aug 2018, 18:37

How do you rate volume 5 and 6 ?
Best regards

Georges

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 10 Aug 2018, 03:04

Georges JEROME wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 18:37
How do you rate volume 5 and 6 ?
Hi Georges,

It's essentially the same as the other volumes. The overall balance of 90>% SS vs <10% Polizei continues.

Re Vol 6 one Polizei barracks is identified by a single photo a Guard standing beside a sentry box with not much of the building visible at all, literally a sentry box against a grey wall with a bit of fence (Mähren).

This is followed by 8 pages on SS Kaserne Klagenfurt-Lendorf, so again the books continue to be very uneven in terms of what gets covered and to what level. I'd have to say these are very overpriced for what they are. This is someones personal collection of photographs and postcards presented in a reference book kind of format. My opinion is that this should have been one medium sized book instead of 6 slim overpriced booklets.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 10 Aug 2018, 11:44

thank you for comments.
Best regards

Georges

nammie44

Post by nammie44 » 24 Oct 2018, 02:11

How to buy origonal SS magazines

https://wartimeline.com/

FransN

Post by FransN » 23 Dec 2018, 13:24

I can recommend the following books, some of which have been mentioned before:

- Timo R. Worst: "Career, crimes and trial of SS-Sturmbannführer Gustav Knittel, commander of the Aufklärungsabteilung "LSSAH"", Timo Worst (publ.), 2016. The data that Timo present are very reliable, because he carefully checks his sources (as he has also shown in the AHF posts). Especially the part of the Ardennes Offensive I found a real gem!
- Danny S Parker: "Fatal crossroads; the untold story of the Malmedy Massacre at the Battle of the Bulge", 2012. Very detailed, accurate and definitive story on the killing of U.S. soldiers at Baugnez, Belgium. Despite the grim story, pleasant to read. Highly recommended!
- Timm Haasler, Stefan de Meyer, Roddy MacDougall, Simon Vosters and Hans Weber (in various combinations): "Duel in the Mist", AFV modellers (vol. 1, 2007) & Panzerwrecks (vol. 2, 2012 & vol. 3, 2014). Almost minute to minute account of the fighting in the Amblève valley. Well balanced account from both the German and the American side. Excellent use of sources. Unfortunately, volume 1 may only be obtained for astronomical sums of money. Pity that it has been decided that vol. 4 (which was already in the pipeline) shall not be published after all :cry:
- Bohumir Kudlička & Radosław Szewczyk: "Prinz Eugen, the story of 7. SS-Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-Division 1942-1945", Mushroom Model Publications, Petersfield, 2014. Lots of fine quality pictures from Kriegsberichter, good maps and some (slightly inaccurate) diagrams. Very nice colour profiles of tanks, vehicles and even some planes. Worth its money as a good addition to Otto Kumm's divisional history "Vorwärts Prinz Eugen".
- George Lepre: " Himmler's Bosnian division. The Waffen-SS Handschar Division 1943-1945", Schiffer Military History, 1997. Based on George's thesis and the absolute standard work on this highly interesting unit. Unit composition, COs, photos. Great!
- Franziska A. Zaugg: " Albanische Muslime in der Waffen-SS. Von "Großalbanien" zur Division "Skanderbeg". Thesis. Thorough research on the history of Albania and Kosovo, and especially on the recruitment of soldiers for the 21. W. Geb. Div. d. SS "Skanderbeg" (alban. Nr. 1). The only flaw of this great and detailed book is a rather inaccurate table with the commanding officers of this division. But from my own experience I know how extremely difficult that topic is.

Best regards, Merry Christmas and enjoy your reading in good health in 2019! :thumbsup:
Frans

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 23 Jun 2019, 18:58

Wolfgang Curilla has written 2 essential reference Ordnungspolizei books:

Der Judenmord in Polen und die deutsche Ordnungspolizei 1939-1945
&
Die deutsche Ordnungspolizei und der Holocaust im Baltikum und in Weißrußland 1941 - 1944

His third book is due out in Sept 2019 and now available for pre-order

'Die deutsche Ordnungspolizei im westlichen Europa 1940-1945'

https://www.bookdepository.com/Die-deut ... 425&sr=1-3

&

https://www.schoeningh.de/katalog/titel ... 169-5.html
Informationen zum Buch
Mehr als 40.000 deutsche Ordnungspolizisten bildeten nach der Wehrmacht und der Waffen-SS die zahlenmäßig größte Besatzungstruppe im westlichen Europa. Wolfgang Curilla, einer der besten Kenner der Materie, beschreibt den Einsatz der Ordnungspolizei erstmalig im Zusammenhang für alle besetzten Länder des westlichen Europas.
Ordnungspolizisten bewachten von Norwegen bis Italien die Deportationstransporte mit Juden in die Vernichtungslager im Osten. In Dänemark, in den Niederlanden und im Raum Marseille führten sie Razzien gegen Juden durch. Die Einsätze der Ordnungspolizei waren aber keineswegs auf die jüdische Bevölkerung beschränkt. Breiten Raum nahmen die Einsätze gegen Partisanen, den örtlichen zivilen Widerstand und Streiks ein. Als Quellen dienen dem Autor unter anderem eine Fülle von großenteils bisher unveröffentlichten Dokumenten und Zeugenaussagen aus Strafverfahren gegen NS-Täter. Die nach Einheiten und Einsatzgebieten gegliederte Darstellung macht das Buch zu einem hochinformativen Nachschlagewerk.
Die Publikation ergänzt die weithin beachteten Publikationen Wolfgang Curillas zur Ordnungspolizei im Baltikum und Weißrussland sowie in Polen.

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 24 Dec 2019, 02:34

pre-order finally landed !
Curilla-001.jpg
Curilla-002.jpg

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”