Assasination on SS-Ogruf. Friedrich Wilhelm Krüger in Kraków

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
George_W

Assasination on SS-Ogruf. Friedrich Wilhelm Krüger in Kraków

Post by George_W » 24 Sep 2021 22:14

Hello

On 20 April 1943 in Kraków the group of the members of Polish Home Army made an assasination attempt on the life of SS-Ogruf. Friedrich Wilhelm Krüger. As far i know he was wounded as a result of that action (according to some sources his injuries were even quite serious).
Maybe someone knows what exact wounds did he then receive?

George

Max Williams

Re: Assasination on SS-Ogruf. Friedrich Wilhelm Krüger in Kraków

Post by Max Williams » 25 Sep 2021 10:45

Krüger was unhurt. The incident is sometimes confused withe the two successful attacks on Heydrich and/or Kutschera.
Here is the extract describing the Krüger assassination attempt from my book SS Elite:

The second attempt on Krüger’s life nearly succeeded. At 09.45am on 20th April 1943, Krüger left his residence at the castle in Krakow to drive to his office at Weichselufer in his PKW car, registration OST31. As his vehicle turned into the Outer Ring Road, two men attempted to kill him. Krüger himself described the incident in a report to Himmler the same day:

…2 men of good appearance and well dressed sprang out onto the footway from a shed which stood obliquely to the street…and threw, within an interval of seconds, 2 bombs which were shaped something like a short thermos flask. I could see the first bomb exactly as it came flying towards my vehicle. It was coloured black. Both bombs exploded immediately behind my vehicle, with the result that my right wheel and tyre were damaged and the petrol tank holed.

While the second bomb was thrown, I ducked and grasped my pistol. After the explosion, when I realised that I had not been wounded, I shouted to my driver to stop at once and he pulled over to the right. I turned round, meanwhile and saw the two men disappearing in the same direction, roughly into the middle of the shed.

I could no longer see them exactly, since I had already gone past the corner. When I ran to the shed myself, there was no longer any sign of the two would-be assassins. Now various Germans came running up to me, both from the direction of the ‘Press Centre’ and from the cul-de-sac which runs near the shed. In addition, all the windows in the vicinity were damaged by the two explosions…

He also reported that a discarded pistol, a British Colt, was recovered from the roadside and handed to the police. He stated that both he and his driver were unscathed and he concluded with a scant description of the culprits.

The report is dated the day of the attack and is signed by him. There followed a thorough investigation by the Security Police and SD in Krakow which resulted in the two would-be assassins being captured. Krüger visited them in prison before they were executed. As a result Martin Bormann ordered that an armoured car be placed at the disposal of the HSSPF. The press agency Reuters mistakenly reported that Krüger ...renowned for his cruelty in Poland... had died from bullet wounds.

Max.

George_W

Post by George_W » 25 Sep 2021 17:32

Many thanks for these informations.

George

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 Sep 2021 09:44

I seem to have misplaced my copy of NS 19/2653.
Does anyone know if Krüger was on leave for the next couple of days after assasination attempt?
Quite probable as also Easter holidays were comming on 24/25/26 of April.

He was not present during official celebrations of AH birthday in Krakau and missed the evening gala at the city theatre.
The more you let yourself to go, the less others will let you to go.
F.Nietzsche

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 29 Sep 2021 18:56

Am I correct gents was there an assassination attempt on his replacement Koppe in 1944? Obviously he survived this if it did occur.
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

George_W

Post by George_W » 29 Sep 2021 19:26

Assassination attempt on Koppe occurred on 11 July 1944 in Kraków. It was a well known in Polish historiography and famous operation made by the members of Polish Home Army. Obviously it was unsuccessful but in that action Hauptmann Felix Hoheisel was mortally wounded. As far i know he was the officer who accompanied Koppe in his car. Unfortunately i don't know whether the assassination attempt on Koppe was described in any English-language sources/publications.

Felix Hoheisel
Geburtsdatum 17.02.1901
Geburtsort Langendorf
Todes-/Vermisstendatum 14.07.1944
Todes-/Vermisstenort Krakau
Dienstgrad Hauptmann

George

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”