Reinhard Heydrich

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
lohengrin

Reinhard Heydrich

Post by lohengrin » 30 Oct 2002, 01:13

Hello all,

I just read a short article about Reinhard Heydrich. In it was mentioned that Heydrich had several children (from my notes I counted at least 3 sons, Heino, Klaus and Heider). Does anyone know what ever happen to Haydrich´s wife Lina and his kids following his assasination and WWII. Are they still alive (the children)? I read somewhere that one of them died after being hit by a car?

I will appreciate all info on this topic.

Photo1 Lina Heydrich, 1940
Photo2 from right to left --- With son Heider at Fehmarn, 1936
SS barber cuts young Heider Heydrich's hair, while brother Heino looks on.
Breakfast with the Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler: Klaus Heydrich at Fehmarn island 1938.
Photo3 Reinhard Heydrich in Berlin, 1940

Clara
Attachments
heydrichbln1940.jpg
heydrichbln1940.jpg (4.63 KiB) Viewed 22384 times
heydrich 1.jpg
heydrich 1.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 22401 times
linaheydrich1940.jpg
linaheydrich1940.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 22394 times

lohengrin

Post by lohengrin » 30 Oct 2002, 01:35

Following paragraph was just discovered on another web-page.

"Heydrich had four children: Klaus, born in 1933; Heider, born in 1934; Silke, born in 1939; and Marte, born shortly after her father's death in 1942. In 1943, Klaus lost his life in a traffic accident. In 1944, Lina Heydrich had Heider removed from the Hitler Youth out of fear that he may meet the same fate as his father. After the war, Lina moved to the island of Fehmarn, located in the Baltic sea, where she operated a hotel. She died in the late 1970's."

Clara

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 30 Oct 2002, 03:06

Heydrich, Lina (c. 1914-?) – widow of SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich {extradition requested by Czech government on charges of murdering 90 Czech prisoners and looting art treasures and jewels; request denied by the British military command in Germany for lack of evidence 1947 (NYT 7 Feb 1979:2:3).}

Matt Gibbs

Hmm

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Oct 2002, 09:51

I would also be interested to know.
I recall reading on a website I looked in on that she did an interview in the 50's with a journalist. Not sure about any of the children's fates though.
I guess they might be hard to track down! 8O
Just out of interest did the pictures posted come from David irving's website advertisment for the slae of the Lina Heydrich Photo archive..?

regards

Matt Gibbs
Attachments
reheyd.jpg
Heydrich card in my collection
reheyd.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 22345 times

lohengrin

Post by lohengrin » 30 Oct 2002, 20:40

Yes Matt, that is where the photos come from. The web page is http://www.fpp.co.uk/Himmler/Heydricharchive.html

Also, on yet another web site I read that Klaus was run over by truck in front of his the Heydrich´s residence in Panenske Brezany, Czech Republic few months after his father´s assasination.

According to some people Heydrich´s death and that of his son’s was due to the fact that he put the holy crown of St. Wenceslas on his and his son´s head. According to a legend, he who puts the crown on his head unrightfully will die. :wink:

Clara

[/url]

The Desert Fox

Post by The Desert Fox » 04 Jan 2003, 04:05

lohengrin wrote:Following paragraph was just discovered on another web-page.

"Heydrich had four children: Klaus, born in 1933; Heider, born in 1934; Silke, born in 1939; and Marte, born shortly after her father's death in 1942. In 1943, Klaus lost his life in a traffic accident. In 1944, Lina Heydrich had Heider removed from the Hitler Youth out of fear that he may meet the same fate as his father. After the war, Lina moved to the island of Fehmarn, located in the Baltic sea, where she operated a hotel. She died in the late 1970's."

Clara
Anyone knowledgable as to the fate of his other children?

regards
The Desert Fox

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 04 Jan 2003, 04:14

Heydrich had four children: Klaus, born in 1933; Heider, born in 1934; Silke, born in 1939; and Marte
and Heino, as others have stated and can be read on Irvings website. I also think I read he had another son named after his father, Bruno. but I could be wrong..

like many top Nazis, it is likely he had alot of children as that was promoted among them. so, by my count, 6 Heydrich children. but that figure is far from authoritative.

lohengrin

Post by lohengrin » 15 Feb 2005, 14:30

I just read some interesting article in STERN Magazine. I talks about the faith of Heydrich's family after his assasination. The article says that Lina, together with her children Heider, Silke and Marte (they had ONLY four kids together) escaped Czechoslovakia in 1945 to island Fehmarn in the Baltic Sea. She remaried a Finnish teatre manager by the name Manninen and died on August 14, 1985. She is burried in The [gravesite location deleted by Moderator to protect the survivors and discourage desecration and/or consecration of the site / Mike Miller]. She defended her husband for the rest of her life and never talked about the KZ, Finnal Solution or Jews. Her son Heider is a retired engineer in the Bavarian city of Wörthsee. He does not talk about his father. Heydrich daugter Marte Beyer still lives on Fehmarn and is an owner of a fashion shop in the city of Burg. There is no-mention of Silke at all in the article. As said before, Klaus was killed by a truck in Prague.

Best Regards,

Clara
Attachments
Manninen-Lina.jpg
Manninen-Lina.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 21819 times
Manninen-Lina.jpg
Manninen-Lina.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 21812 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 01 Oct 2005, 16:56

Two of Heydrich children in the funeral.

Dragunov77

Re:

Post by Dragunov77 » 07 Jul 2009, 22:56

lohengrin wrote:

According to some people Heydrich´s death and that of his son’s was due to the fact that he put the holy crown of St. Wenceslas on his and his son´s head. According to a legend, he who puts the crown on his head unrightfully will die. :wink:

Clara

[/url]
It is generaly accepted that Heydrich did indeed put the crown on his head (it is however doubted by several historians). The tale of the legend is also true and it is quite a well known and ancient legend. However, none of Heydrich's family members were present when he viewed the treasure and he only viewed it once, in the vault where it has been and still is stored. He had the vault sealed straight after his visit and it remained so until the end of the war.

Klaus Heydrich was cycling with this younger brother Heider in the palace garden of the so-called "lower palace" of Panenske Brezany. Heider went back inside, while Klaus continued riding. All of a sudden he rode straight out of the gate (which was opened, because visitors were expected) and under the wheels of a passing truck. He was seriously hurt and died a short while later. The truck was carrying a local soccer team, which was on the way home from a match in a nearby village. The driver fled to a forest out of fear that he'll be punished. He was captured and taken to custody. Lina Heydrich has devoted a lot of effort to have the driver punished (read: executed). But surprisingly enough, German investigators have ruled the case a tragic accident. The only one to blame for it was the dead boy. The driver was released, but no happy end was to occur. About a year later, right before the end of the war, he was taken from his home by a group of German-speaking men and was never seen or heard from again. His fate remains a mystery to this day, but it is generally taken that he was murdered on Lina's orders. She left the country few days later, taking Klaus' coffin with her.

Max Williams

Re: Re:

Post by Max Williams » 08 Jul 2009, 11:31

Dragunov77 wrote:......She left the country few days later, taking Klaus' coffin with her.
Source please.

Dragunov77

Re: Re:

Post by Dragunov77 » 24 Mar 2010, 21:36

Max Williams wrote:
Dragunov77 wrote:......She left the country few days later, taking Klaus' coffin with her.
Source please.
I was wrong about the coffin (more on that below). I saw a very interesting interview on Czech TV last week. The series is called "Uknown heroes" and this episode was called "I served the Heydrichs". It featured a lady named Helena Vovsova, who, as a young woman served on Heydrich's estate in Paneneske Brezany. She served there before and after the assassination and stated things I never heard before. Now, this was on public TV with good reputation, which does not seek sensations and the series has won numerous awards. So, I tend to believe. This is what I found interesting:

- Apparently, after Heydrich's death the uniform he had on the day of his assasintaion was in a glass display case inside the Breschan palace. There was also what she called a "white pullover" (I guess she meant an undershirt) with an entry hole in the side, with burnt edges.
- She said that the Jews working on the estate grounds were not at all compaining. The SS guard was of course behaving in a strict, but not brutal, manner. The Jews knew, their fate could be much worse. They were not being beaten or murdered and had food to eat.
- She said that on the day Klaus was killed, the boys were riding bicycles going from the palace, through the grounds, onto the street, then to the Breschen square, where they circled the little WWI memorial and back. The gate was opened, because visitors were expected. This is more or less known. What is interesting is that she said that the visitor to come was Himmler himself. After Klaus was struck, Lina went (obviously) off her rocker and threatened everyone around, including the doctors and SS guards on duty at the gates. She said she would have everyone shot. Klaus allegedly blead to death. And in the middle of this chaos Himmler arrived.
- And now to the coffin. The lady has shown an ashtray, which was made out of Klaus' tin coffin. Klaus was buried on the estate. The Heydrich estate became a mettalurgical research institute or something of that sort after the war. The employees (?) dug up (or found the coffin dug up) and empty. It was lying around for some years until one day one metal worker melted it made various bric-a-brac out of it (such as ashtrays). This lady has one. She doesn't know what happened to Klaus' remains.

Billard

Re: Reinhard Heydrich

Post by Billard » 17 May 2010, 03:50

In late 2007 the mayor of Breschan took me and my party, including a Czech young man, to the homes of two elderly women who had known the Heydrichs to one degree or another. One lady was in her 90's and the other in her 80's. The stories they told are the same regarding the day Klaus was killed. Himmler saved the day. He immediately took charge, quieted Lina as well as possible and started an investigation. Lina wanted to have the SS guards at the gate shot.

During this visit I bought two postcards from the elder lady: one showing Jungfern Breschan and the other the house of Karl Hermann Frank. It's interesting to note that before the mayor arrived we talked with a man supervising the installation of a power line at the gate of the estate. He was about 50 and said that Klaus was on opium when he was hit by the truck! This was not verified by the two ladies. One of the ladies told us that Heider had died in the summer of 2007. I had been told this earlier.

custer

Post by custer » 19 May 2010, 19:37

I spoke to Heider Heydrich TODAY (May 19 2010) so stories of his death are greatly exaggerated!!

I recently wrote a book about the assassination called The Mirror Caught The Sun. There is a whole chapter dedicated to the interviews I got with/from Heider. I also took him back to Panenske Brezany, which was something he really wanted to do.
I have a website which is www.operationanthropoid1942.com
There is also a chapter in my book explaining how to find the places in Prague connected to this historic event.

Heider has been nothing short of very co-operative and kind to me.

Billard

Post by Billard » 14 Oct 2010, 20:43

Very interesting!!! I will check out your web site. And check back here more often.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”