Kriminal-Angestellter in Kripo/Gestapo

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
g hanson

Kriminal-Angestellter in Kripo/Gestapo

Post by g hanson » 10 May 2007, 12:21

Could someone please explain the exact role of a Kriminal-Angestellter in the Gestapo and Kripo?

I always thought this rank was for clerks or other desk bound officials, yet I know they were issued with a Dienstausweis and Fahrtberechtigungsausweis for official duty travel? Surely if they were office clerks they would only have been issued a Hausausweis to gain entry to their respective places of work?

Thank you
Graham

steve248

Post by steve248 » 11 May 2007, 13:46

Kriminal-Angestellte employed by the SIPO were typically those with no qualifications for police work, many simply sent to these local SIPO offices by the Employment Exchange (Arbeitsamt). Many drivers (Kraftfahrer) were Krim.-Angestellte.

At a later stage these men (and women) could take internal exams enabling them to make their appointment as government service and join the SIPO as Kriminal-Assistent.

g hanson

Krim.Ang.

Post by g hanson » 11 May 2007, 14:35

Many thanks Steve248,

I think I still need a little more help. I have read somewhere that to be selected as a Kriminal-Angestellter in the Kripo, the candidate must be fit for Police duties? Do you know what this means? Don't quite understand how someone can be fit for Police duties if he doesn't hold the office of a Police Officer, unless he is sworn in as a special constable?

I am also a bit puzzled as to why a Kriminal-Angestellter would be issued a special ausweis for free duty travel, which also permits them to travel with a Police dog if necessary?

Hope you can help with these other matters.

Thanks
Graham

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 12 May 2007, 07:12

There is evidence that they were also issued weapons from the RSHA Armory, so perhaps Clerk would be better replaced by Civilian Employee. So issued with weapons and a Gestapo or Kripo-Dienstmarke and -Ausweis, these Civilian Employees filled the growing need for additional manpower in security units in the Reich and occupied countries that could not be satisfied by the normal SS/SIPO personnel pool.

The revised Ausweis/Erkennungsmarken decrees of 1940 for the Kripo and Gestapo recognized both Kriminal-Beamte and Kriminal-Angestellte as receiving the Ausweis/Erkennungsmarken set. At the same type, regular Angestellte in the office pool were to be issued a Hausausweis. These regulations were strengthened in 1942.

So it is apparent that besides the clerk duties performed by Angestellte, some with special qualifications were also empowered as executive employees of the Gestapo or Kripo.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 16 May 2007, 02:51

Bringing this all together, the term Kriminalangestellte was authorized by the Ministry of Interior in 1935 to be used in service instead of Kriminalgehilfe. Kriminalgehilfen had been serving in the Prussian Detective service since the mid 1920s, being appointed to the position from after one year of probationary service. These Kriminalgehilfe/Angestellte were Criminal Investigation Employees and could be male or female.

SS-BF and Dr. jur. Werner Best noted in his 1940 publication "Die Deutsche Polizei" that special regulations (unpublished) were enacted in October 1937 governing the pay to Criminal Investigation Employees who were in the executive service of the Sicherheitspolizei to carry out special duties.

g hanson

Post by g hanson » 16 May 2007, 22:37

Joe,

Thorough, as ever. Very many thanks.

Graham

mty

Post by mty » 27 Jan 2008, 13:58

According to Browder, the term Kriminal-Angestellte is already used in fall 1933 of those SS men posted to the SS-Kommando Gestapa and carrying out executive work under the direction of Nebe and Max Henze, head of the unit. In the sources section of the book, there is also a mention that the Gestapa had more than hundred of them in their disposal by the end of 1933.

I think this could have something to do with the abolition of the Hilfspolizei which had earlier carried out some of the Gestapa field tasks, but it seems that only SS men were taken into these - apparently more permanent - positions. It would be interesting to know, how many of them became qualified SIPO officials later.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 27 Jan 2008, 19:40

An interesting contradiction in sources. The 1935 source I cited above is from the Ministerialblätter of the Reich and Prussian Min. of Interior. The term authorized was Kriminalangestellte. Browder's footnote you cite states that State Sec. Pfundtner's notes of September 1933 indicate "...122 Beamte and 600 Krim.-Angestellte augmented the allotted ranks of the Gestapo."

Aside from acquiring a copy of the documentation that Browder's cites, the only explanation I can offer is that Pfundtner was using an unofficial description of the employees brought into Gestapo service from the SS. The term was used in side notes to a State Secretary Conference, not in official publications and therefore on identity documentation.

g hanson

Kriminalangestellte Rank

Post by g hanson » 28 Jan 2008, 22:28

Thank's guy's for resurrecting this thread.
Whilst we are at it, I have seen abbreviations at the end of some Kriminalangestellte' rank and I am trying to find out what they represent.
So far I have seen Kriminalangestellte (A), Kriminalangestellte (K) and Kriminalangestellte (E).
Anybody know what these stand for?

steve248

Post by steve248 » 29 Jan 2008, 09:34

The (K) indicates Kraftfahrer to my knowledge.

g hanson

Post by g hanson » 01 Feb 2008, 16:39

Thanks. Anyone else for the (A) and (E)?

J. Ryan Stackhouse

Re: Kriminal-Angestellter in Kripo/Gestapo

Post by J. Ryan Stackhouse » 14 Nov 2017, 22:31

^Educated guess: Amtsgehilfe and Exekutiv?

Does anyone have any sources that discuss Kriminal Angestellter other than Browder?

He makes passing reference to incompetent amateurs from the employment agencies washing out early when discussing increasing SS influence after 1938. But records from 1935 for Regierungsbezirk Düsseldorf still have 28 on staff with 17 listing the date they joined the Gestapo as the March 1934 reorganization under the 2nd Gestapo Law. Anyone know about the timing of when Kriminalangestellte were culled from service or staffing from employment agencies stopped?

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”