Werner Best

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
James

Post by James » 30 Mar 2002, 15:19

Michael:

Your excellent biosketch of Werner Best raises in my mind the question of what motivated him to undertake his rather extraordinary actions with respect to the Danish Jews. On the one hand, there appears to have been enough evidence against him with respect to his participation in Aktion AB against the Polish Jews and others in 1939-1940 to result in a death sentence being handed down against him while, just a few years later, he appears to have risked his life (or at least his career) to help sabotage the deportation of the Danish Jews. Any idea what caused this seeming transformation?

James

Werner Best

Post by James » 13 Apr 2002, 13:11

Anyone able to give me any help on this?

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 13 Apr 2002, 15:54

Please, link to the article mentioned!

I've read some material on Best over time, and I have to say that for a man with his past in Poland, he went unexpectedly "easy" on Denmark in comparison. I'm still wondering why and what made him change -- fortunately for my countrymen.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 13 Apr 2002, 15:59

Birgitte,

If you are referring to Mike's bio of him, it can be found in this thread: http://thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=638

/Marcus

James

Post by James » 14 Apr 2002, 00:09

Marcus and Birgitte:

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. My first question had been located on the very thread Marcus just referenced and was indeed prompted by Michael's biosketch. I never received any responses to this question about the rather pronounced about-face in Best's conduct, so this morning I thought I would do a follow up request for help. However, by adding Best's name to the subject line, I suddenly found that I had unintentionally created a totally new thread.

In any event, I would appreciate any insight anyone can give on the topic.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 14 Apr 2002, 00:26

James wrote:However, by adding Best's name to the subject line, I suddenly found that I had unintentionally created a totally new thread.
Actually no you did not. I created a new thread by moving them from the original thread, this because it was not on the topic of that thread and deserved a new one of its own.

/Marcus

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 14 Apr 2002, 03:12

Marcus Wendel wrote:Birgitte,

If you are referring to Mike's bio of him, it can be found in this thread: http://thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=638

/Marcus
Brownie points to Marcus! Thanks!

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”