Himmler's visit to Maribor

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Oberst Mihael

Himmler's visit to Maribor

Post by Oberst Mihael » 08 Feb 2003, 21:21

Hello,

What was the main purpose of Heinrich Himmler's 1943 visit to Maribor (I think they call it Marburg-not sure though)?

Also, any pictures available?

trekker

Re: Himmler's visit to Maribor

Post by trekker » 25 Jan 2013, 09:39

Oberst Mihael wrote: What was the main purpose of Heinrich Himmler's 1943 visit to Maribor
Himmler's second visit to Slovenia took place 4.-5.5.1943.

In Maribor Wehrmannschaft-Sonderstandarte was lined up in front of hotel Orel to Himmler's honour.

Accompanied by CdZ Uiberreither and by expulsion - settlement staff officials Himmler visited the area in Untersteiermark where Germans from Kočevje (Gottschee) area were setlled on properties of Slovene population previoulsy expelled. Himmler showed great interest for and was well informed of events concerning settlement of Germans in Untersteiermark.

Of course, one cannot claim it was the main purpose of his visit.

I have seen a photo of Himmler talking to settlers.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 25 Jan 2013, 11:38

trekker wrote:
Oberst Mihael wrote: What was the main purpose of Heinrich Himmler's 1943 visit to Maribor

In Maribor Wehrmannschaft-Sonderstandarte was lined up in front of hotel Orel to Himmler's honour.

Accompanied by CdZ Uiberreither and by expulsion - settlement staff officials Himmler visited the area in Untersteiermark where Germans from Kočevje (Gottschee) area were setlled on properties of Slovene population previoulsy expelled. Himmler showed great interest for and was well informed of events concerning settlement of Germans in Untersteiermark.

What is the source for this information please?
Max.

trekker

Post by trekker » 25 Jan 2013, 12:18

Max Williams wrote:What is the source for this information please?
I found the information in a book by Slovene historian dr Tone Ferenc. I don't have details at hand right now.

Cartaphilus

Post by Cartaphilus » 25 Jan 2013, 14:11

trekker wrote:

Where was expelled the Slovenian population from Styria and Carniola areas annexed by Germany? To Croatia?

Thanx from Spain.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 25 Jan 2013, 14:26

trekker wrote:
Max Williams wrote:What is the source for this information please?
I found the information in a book by Slovene historian dr Tone Ferenc. I don't have details at hand right now.
Thank you. Can I ask you to post the book details when you have a chance please?
Max.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 25 Jan 2013, 20:00

Max,

This might help you -
National Archives, Kew - reference HW 16/25
GPDD 466d, German police radio messages transmitted 2 May 1943

4/5. 73 de C 0135
Gruppenführer! Der Rf.SS [HIMMLER], der Besuch in AGRAM beabsichtigt, bittet Sie am
4.5.43 spätnachmittags zum Schloss Mokritz bei RANN/Oberkrain zu einer Besprechung
zu kommen. Übernachtung dort vorgesehen. Ich bitte um Bestätigung dieses Fs.
Heil Hitler!
Gez. GROTHMANN, SS Hauptsturmführer. Geheime Kommandosache.

Almost certainly the Gruppenführer in question is Phleps.

trekker

Post by trekker » 26 Jan 2013, 10:46

Max Williams wrote: Can I ask you to post the book details when you have a chance please?
I'll do that.
But I have found additional information on Himmler's visit in a newspaper article published in Marburger Zeitung on Friday (Freitag), 7.5.1943.

Himmler arrived from Carinthia (Kärnten) on Tuesday (Dienstag) and was wellcomed by Uiberreither and Steindl in Dravograd (Unterdrauburg). He arrived to Maribor (Marburg) at noon where he stopped for a short time. In late afternoon he arrived to Bistrica na Sotli (Königsberg am Sattelberg) where he met settlers from Kočevje (Gostschee) area. He cotinued to Bizeljsko (Wisell) where he met settlers from Besarabia. He met German settlers on his way to Krško (Gurkfeld), Cerklje (Zirkle) and Krška vas (Munkendorf). He arrived to Brežice (Rann) in the evening. On Wednesday (Mittwoch) he met Ante Pavelić in Zagreb (Agram).

The article was subtitled: Besuch bei den Gottscheern und Bessarabiern im Ansiedlungsgebiet. That and Himmler's itinerary reveal that his visit was indeed dedicated to German settlers. On the other hand he (just) passed Untersteiermark on his way to Zagreb that was his final destination. On his way back he stopped in Graz.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 26 Jan 2013, 11:58

Thank you; one and all.
Max.

trekker

Post by trekker » 28 Jan 2013, 09:17

Here's as promised.

source:
Tone Ferenc: Nacistična raznarodovalna politika v Sloveniji v letih 1941-1945, Maribor, 1968

page 300
Himmler was resolved that settlement of Germans from Kočevje (Gottschee) area should be done in 1941 as Hitler had promised to their representatives during his visit in Maribor 26.4.1941.

page 632
The area by the rivers Sava and Sotla was designed as the »settlement area A« where entire Slovene population should be expelled and substituted by German settlers, mostly from the Kočevje (Gottschee) area. It was supposed to become a German national stronghold against neighbouring Slovenes and Croates in the south. The rest of Untersteiermark was the »settlement area B«.

page 665
Himmler showed constant interest in settling Germans from Kočevje (Gottschee) area. His correspondence with Uiberreither revealed he was much in favour to them and knew details on the matter. In his letter to Greifelt dated 19.12.1942 he mentioned names of incapable (Hermann) capable (Busse, Müller) and worthy (Schallermayer (Schallermayer was Himmler's good acquaintance – page 655)) officials from the office of Beauftragten des Reichskommissars für die Festigung deutschen Volkstums in Maribor. Himmler also mentioned officials (Königs, Almache) of the German settlement company (Deutsche Ansiedlungsgesellschaft) which managed properties of expelled Slovene population until handed over to newly settled Germans. Its inefficiency was much criticized – also by Himmler in December 1942. (And by Lurker in his report to Hintze 17.2.1942. - pages 653 and 720).
In the beginning of May 1943 Himmler visited the settlement area A and talked to German settlers. He was accompanied by Uiberreither, Seftschnig and Schallermayer. Protection of the settlement area A against partisan attacks was also a matter of discussion.

page 666
a photo of Himmler talking to German settlers in Bizeljsko

page 722, footnote 318a
Photographs of Himmler's visit to Maribor and to the settlement area A on 4.-5.5.1943 were kept in Muzej ljudske revolucije Slovenije in Ljubljana.
NOTE: Nowadays it's Muzej novejše zgodovine Slovenije.

Question:
What did Himmler and Pavelić discuss in Zagreb?

trekker

Post by trekker » 29 Mar 2013, 08:51

Cartaphilus wrote: Where was expelled the Slovenian population from Styria and Carniola areas annexed by Germany? To Croatia?
Sorry for a late reply, Cartaphilus. I overlooked your post in January and have noticed it only now.

First, let me point out that occupied territories of Styria and Carniola were governed as if they were part of Third Reich but legally they were not although it had been planned to annex them. For additional information see
annexation of Slovenia
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=80060

Second, let me give information on expulsion of Slovene population which was Himmler's responsabilty.

The first wave of expulsion took place between 7.6. – 10.7.1941. In 17 transports 7.259 people were deported from Styria and Carniola. They were deported to Serbia except the following among them:
217 priests from Styria were deported to Zagreb (Croatia) 5.7.1941.
169 priests from Carniola were deported to Slavonski Brod (Croatia) 10.7.1941.
71 Croats from Styria were deported to Croatia. That was the only case of deporting Croats.

The second wave of expulsion took place between 11.7. – 27.9.1941. In 21 transports 9.963 people were deported from Styria only to Croatia and Bosnia.

The third wave of expulsion took place between 24.10.1941 – 30.7.1942. In 62 transports about 36.280 people were deported from area nearby Sava ad Sotla rivers in Styria, bordering NDH and Italian occupied Slovene territory. They were deported to numerous places in Germany.

Between 7.12.1941 – 18.5.1942 in 7 transports 64 families with 194 members were deported to camp Schelklingen bei Ulm. These were Slovenes considered suitable for germanization because of good results in racial assessment.

The above deportations had been planned before the occupation and were part of the germanization process of the occupied territories. Apart from that, there were deportations that took place as a reprisal measures. Deported were family members and close relatives of killed partisans and executed prisoners. In 31 transports 4.185 people were deported from Carniola between 26.3.1942 – 22.8.1944. About 4.000 people were deported from Styria between August 1942 – June 1943. They were all deported to various places in Germany.