Dr. Rudolf Brandt Photo

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Landsberger

Re: Dr. Rudolf Brandt Photo

Post by Landsberger » 05 Oct 2010, 00:11

J. Duncan wrote:Brandt knew the most. As Himmler's secretary, he passed on all of Himmler's notes, letters, and memorandum.
It's only bad he was executed because the man knew so much. He could have explained a lot to future researchers, although I reckon that he did much of that during his trial. Not much has been written on him in English language within the standard books dealing with the SS administration. He was an important figure who should be biographically analyzed.
I’m going to suggest that Brandt did not ‘know the most.’ The evidence that he had no
‘big picture’ knowledge to trade is born out in the fact that much more culpable Himmler intimates,
(Wolff, Schellenberg) did escape hanging.

Brandt was indicted and convicted on ~100 letters documenting his involvement in facilitating, in the name of RFSS, inhumane medical experiments. But if you read the letters, you can come to the view that Brandt has little interest in these experiments. He is responding, again for RFSS, to Drs. Rasche, Sievers et al who have an agenda they feel is best represented to Himmler through the secretary, Brandt.

Brandt’s attorney points out that these ~100 letters were culled from ~100,000 letters from Brandt which were concerned with more mundane matters.

“As Persönlicher Referent des RFSS, Brandt handled Himmler’s entire correspondence with the exception of matters pertaining to the Waffen SS or the Police.”

(Trial Transcript: NMT 01. Medical Case - USA v. Karl Brandt, et al., English Transcript: p. 4997 (26 March 1947) Luitpold Schallermeier (assistant to Karl Wolff in Himmler's office)

So rather than know the most, it seems that Brandt’s energies were directed towards the huge tasks associated with meeting RFSS’s more eccentric priorities: approving brides for SS men, Lebensborn, program, Ahnenerbe Institute, keeping two Himmler households ticking over etc.

It was because the early medical experiments with the Luftwaffe and the weird request for ‘Skeletons” from Ahnenerbe fell outside the area of police (which controlled the death machine), that Brandt was sent into the breech.

J Duncan is correct in that little is written of him in English. Here is something I put together from trial transcripts and Schellenberg’s book.

Rudolf Brandt, the son of a railway worker, was born and raised in modest circumstances in the German-Polish border town of Frankfurt an der Oder. Brandt was a member of the student’s stenography (shorthand) club at the Realgymnasium and in 1927, at the age of 18, won a competition with a transcription speed of 360 syllables per minute.

He attended University of Berlin and University of Jena (1928-1932), simultaneously working from 1928 to 1930 as a court reporter at the Provisional National Economic Council. Brandt would continue to practice stenography in the evenings with his colleague and former Frankfurt schoolmate Gerhard Herrgesell.

Brandt was awarded a Law Degree from University of Jena in July of 1933. He had joined the Nazi party in January of 1932 (NSDP 1 331 536) and joined the SS in October of 1933 (SS 129 771) By February of 1934, Brandt and his skills in transcription had come to the notice of Himmler who had him transferred from another office in Berlin to his staff.

In 1936, Brandt was named Leiter des Persönlichen Stabes RFSS, and in 1937 Persönlicher Referent des RFSS, a position he held until May 1945.

In this position Brandt handled Himmler’s entire correspondence with the exception of matters pertaining to the Waffen SS or the Police.

Schellenberg, the only SD Department Chief to report directly to Himmler, said of Brandt, “Because of his ability as a perfect stenographer, his punctuality, his untiring diligence, he became Himmler’s convenient and omnipresent registering, reminding and writing machine, complaining about being overworked, and on the other hand, declaring with pride that he had to produce 3000 – 4000 out-going letters per month.”

Brandt would begin work at seven in the morning, no matter what time he had gone to bed the night before. Three or four hours of sleep were sufficient for him. As soon as Himmler had risen in the morning and washed, Brandt would go to him loaded with papers and files, and while Himmler shaved he would read him the most important items of the morning’s mail. This was done with the greatest seriousness. If there was bad news, Brandt would preface it by saying, ”Pardon, Herr Reichsfuehrer,” and thus forewarned, Himmler would temporarily suspend his shaving operations: a precautionary measure to prevent cutting himself. Brandt was certainly most important. He was the eyes and ears of his master and the manner in which he presented a matter to Himmler was often of decisive importance.”

Brandt was a member of the entourage which accompanied Himmler into hiding, leaving Flensburg May 10, 1945 with the vague goal of attempting to reach Bavaria. He became separated from Himmler and surrendered along with most of the party to British troops on May 21st. Himmler was captured, though not identified on May 22 along with his Waffen SS aides, Werner Grothmann and Heinz Macher.

Brandt watched from inside the wire at the Westertimke detention camp when Himmler was brought in with his aides on May 23.

Before sentencing, everyone from Schellenberg to Hanna Reitsch argued that Brandt had no ability to make policy and was at every instant transmitting the orders of RFSS.

Rudolf Brandt was found as culpable as many of the physicians who had actually conducted the experiments, and like the minority of physicians who had earned a third strike through membership in a criminal organization, the SS, he was hanged.

Himmler, we are told had Hitler's gift of compartmentalizing existence. I would suggest that to a very large extent
Brandt, the stenographic machine, was out of the loop as opposed to Wolff who really was the Asst. RFSS that everyone imagined Brandt to be. Wolf had the foresight to get to Italy and start charming Dulles in Bern. Brandt trudged after Himmler into the wilderness even though there were no more memos to transcribe.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 05 Oct 2010, 00:45

That's interesting. A different angle! So what you are saying is that Brandt was more of a secretary handling Himmler's intimate affairs such as (examples) picking out birthday gifts for his officers and their families, the letters awarding Honor Rings and Swords, and mostly Himmler's correspondances of a personal nature? That sounds very plausible.

Landsberger

Post by Landsberger » 05 Oct 2010, 05:10

Yes, but we have to be careful not to take it too far the other way.

He did send a letter in 1943, again for RFSS, to Richard Korherr, SS Statistician to prepare a report
on the "re-settlement" to date.

He was working exclusively for Himmler in June of 1934. Did he take from dictation the list of those to be shot in the
"Rohm Putsch?"

I just feel, as did Schellenberg that Brandt was just a very clever instrument.
Why kill the typewriter?

No one can ever remember an interaction where Brant actually sat in on a meeting. His role was to come in at the end and take instruction.

While the experiments he facilitated were inexcusable, there is a certain injustice that he hanged while some convicted physicians, who actually performed the torture went on to practice medicine again.

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 05 Oct 2010, 07:25

OK, let us stop on the fact our Nazi-in-glasses just knew too much.)
Hitler, Darre, Himmler and our Rudi.
Am I the only one to post the photos here?..

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 05 Oct 2010, 09:49

Sneachta wrote:OK, let us stop on the fact our Nazi-in-glasses just knew too much.)
Hitler, Darre, Himmler and our Rudi.

Am I the only one to post the photos here?..
That's not Brandt. In my opinion, it is Terboven or a member of Hitler's FHQ staff.
Max.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 05 Oct 2010, 09:58

Max - It is indeed Terboven. You are correct. I've seen this photo before and the man was identified as such. Himmler is to right of Terboven, darkened by shadows.

Landsberger- Thanks for the insight. I think I understand Brandt's function better. In a sentence, he was a courier, not a policy maker.

Sneachta - Do a search for your subject. There are plenty of photos of Brandt already on this website. People tend to post photos as they find them, only to discover that they have already been posted previously. I've had many a "rare find" only to be told it's already been viewed! (lol)

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 05 Oct 2010, 10:02

Thanks. I have already stolen all those fotos.)))
But...
Gentlemen, what relation did REITSCH have to RUDI? Did they ever meet each other?

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 05 Oct 2010, 10:26

Sneachta wrote:Thanks. I have already stolen all those fotos.)))
No wonder other people don't post photos in this thread with comments like that. Whatever your intentions, your use of the English language is enough to put any person off. If I remember correctly, we had a similar problem with your use of certain words in a thread where you wanted photos of executions. Not exactly conducive to historical research. If I were you, I'd reassess my approach to how I ask for photos. Just some advice.
Max.

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 05 Oct 2010, 10:34

Understood. Sorry...

Michal78

Post by Michal78 » 05 Oct 2010, 18:49

Max Williams wrote:
Sneachta wrote:Thanks. I have already stolen all those fotos.)))
No wonder other people don't post photos in this thread with comments like that. Whatever your intentions, your use of the English language is enough to put any person off. Max.
Max,
This is a more complex problem of this forum...if I compare the frequency of posting the private or less-known pictures in the past and at the present time, I can say, that in the past members were willinger to show photos from their private collections...currently is almost impossible to find some nice photos at the forum....and sorry Sneachta but the following formulation "I have already stolen all those fotos" doesn't help to this forum...what a pity for all others...
Best,
Michal

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 06 Oct 2010, 14:45

I agree, but not hard feelings Schneachta please.

In the other side, those people (nazis) were not nice people Schneachta. "Your" Rudi or Terboven were people who considered -with all respect- the people of Ukraine or the other countries not german, like subhumans and just useful as slaves, nothing more. Even God can´t change the history. And here you just can found serious forists and authors.

Greetings,

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 06 Oct 2010, 19:35

I understand I've just chosen a little bit wrong style of communication, but anyway i wouldn't have come here without a historical interest. I'd ask you not to think I am a neo-Nazi or something of that sort... Not in the country I was born and raised in.
I call him "Rudi" just because I can't take a man with THAT type of character serious. Who- and whatever this man is or was. Maybe I shouldn't have paid suсh an attention to their characters... anyway.
Thanks in advance.)) :milwink:

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 06 Oct 2010, 21:45

Sneachta wrote:[...] Not in the country I was born and raised in.
[...]
Sorry for the off - topic:
http://www.google.at/search?q=ukraine+n ... d=0CBUQpwU

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 06 Oct 2010, 22:38

I am from the Eastern Ukraine. Thanks God, they are not a power in the land I live in.
And then. We have gone far fron the "photos", so nay I ask yu a question about... Dr. Brandt? What relation did Reitsch have to him? I have never heard of them to know each other...

Landsberger

Post by Landsberger » 07 Oct 2010, 00:06

Sneachta wrote:I am from the Eastern Ukraine. Thanks God, they are not a power in the land I live in.
And then. We have gone far fron the "photos", so nay I ask yu a question about... Dr. Brandt? What relation did Reitsch have to him? I have never heard of them to know each other...
Yes, let's get back on topic. Alot was said about Brandt's character in mitigation at his trial. The likes of Schellenberg, Hans Lammers, Werner Best etc. all echo the sentiment that Brandt:

“Because of his ability as a perfect stenographer, his punctuality, his untiring diligence, he became Himmler’s convenient and omnipresent registering, reminding and writing machine." ...........with no policy-setting role.

Here is Hanna Reitsch's statement: I couldn't get these jpg images copied here.
She met Brandt when he was assigned by Himmler to look after her, maybe at Hohenlychen

http://nuremberg.law.harvard.edu/php/pf ... _setting=C

http://nuremberg.law.harvard.edu/php/pf ... _setting=C

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”