Hans Feiglein's [id est Hermann Fegelein] mistress in Berlin

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Simon Gunson

Hans Feiglein's [id est Hermann Fegelein] mistress in Berlin

Post by Simon Gunson » 07 Nov 2010, 22:40

Hitler's SS adjutant was tasked to make his way to Himmler's Headquarters some time about 22 April 1945. Berlin was already cut off by land on 21 April.

Unaccountably Feiglein retruned to Berlin by air. The air lift bringing in marine reservists by air began this same date. Feiglein was found in an apartment with his Hungarian mistress and a quantity of foreign currency and diamonds. His mistress was also said to be an SOE agent.

Does anybody know, who was she?
What happened to her?

Halfdan S.

Re: Hemann Fegelein's mistress in Berlin

Post by Halfdan S. » 08 Nov 2010, 02:02

She got away - as I remember Högl, who picked up Fegelein, didn't bring her in and was blamed for this afterwards. What happened to her after this I don't know.

The only name I have ever seen mentioned in connection with this woman was the name of the swedish spy Jane Horney http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Horney, all though I don't consider this story to hold any truth what so ever.

Best
Halfdan S.

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: Hermann Fegelein's mistress in Berlin

Post by Dieter Zinke » 08 Nov 2010, 10:11

Dear Kiwi,

you are speaking of HERMANN FEGELEIN

For the lady see
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=15
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

Dieter Z.

Simon Gunson

Re: Hans Feiglein's mistress in Berlin

Post by Simon Gunson » 08 Nov 2010, 11:58

Thank you Deiter. I have come across him called both Hans and Hermann. Interesting point is that Rochus Misch thought she was scottish wife of a Hungarian diplomat. SS Maj Otto Günsche thought she was Irish and said she spoke three languages fluently. She was blonde/red head (strawberry blonde?) and slipped out the kitchen window about 11pm on 26 April 1945.

Sorry for duplicating topic elsewhere. Shall go over to the threads you've pointed out. Thanks.

Post Script:

Seems his name was Hans Georg Otto Hermann Fegelein

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: Hans Feiglein's [id est Hermann Fegelein] mistress in Be

Post by Dieter Zinke » 08 Nov 2010, 14:48

Kiwi,
certainly you have poblems with the right spelling of german names !
My name is Dieter not Deiter !!

Concerning Fegelein:
His names mentioned in the civil registry office are: Hans Georg Otto . The first name "Hermann" was given and accepted later

Dieter Z.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 08 Nov 2010, 16:08

One woman who has been suggested is Mary Alison GERSTENBERGER-MISKE, alias WALTERS, Mary ALLISON, Baroness Mary Alison MISKE, 'Miss May': British, German, Hungarian. The British-born wife of a Hungarian Consul, Mary GERSTENBERGER-MISKE was an SOE agent in Hungary in the Second World War. Detected and imprisoned in Hungary, she was exchanged in 1943 for Eugene WIESER who had been interned in Britain. In 1947 she returned to Hungary to settle her husband's estate and disappeared into a Soviet prison camp until 1955, an account of which she and Jerrard TICKELL published in 1958.
British National archives references: PF 115417 and KV 2/3324.
Max.
Attachments
Gerstenberger Miske.jpg
Gerstenberger Miske.jpg (133.38 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

Simon Gunson

Post by Simon Gunson » 08 Nov 2010, 22:14

Certainly not intentional Dieter.

Thanks for that Max. Any information on the circumstances of her swap in 1943, or dates etc?

It certainly took balls of steel to go back after a spy swap but I can't imagine there were two female SOE spies married to Hungarian diplomats. If true she must have gone back and risked immediate execution.

In O'Donnell's book it is mentioned that she appeared in Berlin some time in summer 1944 and was for a time the mistress of Goebbels.

Gerstenberger-Miske was unaware of her husbands death until after the war.

I'm also curious whether Fegelein was actually Werther of the Lucy spy ring?
The reason why I say this is that within 24 hours of Fegelein's mistress fleeing the apartment a broadcast from Stockholm disclosed Himmler's plot and asserted that Fegelein was expected to return from Berlin with Hitler's body. Was Fegelein sent back from Reichlin on 25 April in Himmler's Ju-52 to arrange a final coup against Hitler?

It seems the SOE were very keen to drop Fegelein and Himmler in a mess, perhaps to save the neck of their own spy?

The postwar arrest of Gerstenberger-Miske by the Soviets seems to suggest the Soviets had a score to settle. If Fegelein was part of the Lucy ring and SOE manipulated his information to Moscow through Gerstenberger-Miske, then it would make logical sense for London to cause Hitler to arrest and execute him to prevent exposure of whatever double cross or planting of double agents in the soviet ring which SOE could have arranged.

It is often speculated that LUCY was Bormann because of the quality of information, but Fegelein knew most of what Bormann knew.

[email protected]

Re: Hans Feiglein's [id est Hermann Fegelein] mistress in Berlin

Post by [email protected] » 21 Sep 2022, 06:37

Hello to all.

I am a new contributor to the Axis Forum. Currently, I am interested in the "Fegelein Mistress" thread. I know it is an old thread 2004-2010 and I hope a few of the contributors are still around. My questions/comments regard the Simon Gunson comments below:

"Re: Hans Feiglein's mistress in Berlin
#4Post by Simon Gunson » 08 Nov 2010, 05:58
Thank you Deiter. I have come across him called both Hans and Hermann. Interesting point is that Rochus Misch thought she was scottish wife of a Hungarian diplomat. SS Maj Otto Günsche thought she was Irish and said she spoke three languages fluently. She was blonde/red head (strawberry blonde?) and slipped out the kitchen window about 11pm on 26 April 1945.

Sorry for duplicating topic elsewhere. Shall go over to the threads you've pointed out. Thanks.

Post Script:

Seems his name was Hans Georg Otto Hermann Fegelein

and

"Mary Alison GERSTENBERGER-MISKE, alias WALTERS, Mary ALLISON, Baroness Mary Alison MISKE, 'Miss May': British, German, Hungarian. The British-born wife of a Hungarian Consul, Mary GERSTENBERGER-MISKE was an SOE agent in Hungary in the Second World War. Detected and imprisoned in Hungary, she was exchanged in 1943 for Eugene WIESER who had been interned in Britain. In 1947 she returned to Hungary to settle her husband's estate and disappeared into a Soviet prison camp until 1955, an account of which she and Jerrard TICKELL published in 1958.
British National archives references: PF 115417 and KV 2/3324.
Max."

My questions are as follows:

1) If Baroness Mary Alison MISKE as noted above was the strawberry blonde British SOE agent with Fegelein in his Berlin apartment and she escaped, could MISKE also be the blonde woman mentioned in the book entitled Quest by Frank Brandenburg on pages 309-312 who traveled with Martin Bormann after the war (September 1946) through the Italian Rat Line as described in Brandenburg's interview of former (?) Nazi Franz Lechner who ran the Nauders, Austria to Bolzano, Italy leg of the southern Rat Line route? The blonde in the book Quest who traveled with Bormann was in her thirties and went by the name Rosi. Would anyone have additional information about Rosi?

2) If MISKE was Rosi, then MISKE could have been a British SOE plant into the Bormann Group (Bormann, Fegelein, Hitler, Braun, Mueller, Kaltenbrunner, Kammler) to help them escape. This would also give some (not all) credence to Christopher Creighton's book OPJB, a fictional account of how Ian Fleming, British Naval Intelligence and SOE collaborated with Martin Bormann and helped him escape Berlin in May, 1945.

3) If Bormann or Fegelein, or both, were Werther in the LUCY spy ring giving inside Hitler's conference room intelligence to MISKE/Rosi and by extension Kim Philby then onto Soviet intelligence/Moscow CENTER, this would connect a few dots.

Long story short, does anyone have addition information on who blonde Rosi was who traveled with Martin Bormann during his escape through the Rat Line as described by Lechner and Brandenburg? If Rosi was an SOE agent, that would mean the British were communicating with Bormann during the war, helped him escape Berlin in May 1945, helped him escape Europe in September 1946 and probably ran him as an agent in South America, in exchange for some of Bormann's Nazi gold and loot. Churchill, Trevor-Roper and SOE then covered Bormann's tracks with the often changing Hitler/Braun suicide and Bormann bridge death stories.

BTW, I highly recommend the Quest/Brandenburg book. He interviewed more than a dozen former Nazi's and the book solves many mysteries. The Creighton/OPJB book is of course fiction, so hardly a resource. But, if SOE did help Bormann escape, and Bormann planted the whole "Hitler/Eva Braun suicide in the bunker" story to Hugh Trevor-Roper, a Major in British Intelligence specifically ordered to write a report stating that Hitler killed himself, then this too would connect more dots.

Thanks in advance for any information pro or con in this regard.

Everett

fletcher_101

Post by fletcher_101 » 18 Oct 2022, 04:15

Bormann died in 1945; they did a DNA test on a skeleton found in Berlin in the early 1970's and had a match.

fletcher_101

Post by fletcher_101 » 18 Oct 2022, 04:52

There is a file in the British archives for Mary Alison MISKE-GERSTENBERGER that you can access. It acknowledges she was a courier to Budapest in 1942 for SOE, was captured, then traded for a Hungarian in the UK and released in Istanbul around August 1943, and from there she went to Cairo. She then returned to the UK in late 1945. It doesn't show her in Germany or even in German occupied territory after 1943 and there is no mention of her ever being in Berlin.

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 19 Oct 2022, 03:44

The identity card of Mary Alison GERSTENBERGER-MISKE.

Her husband was the Hungarian Counsel General in Munich.
Attachments
Miske-Gerstenberger-Jenőné.jpg
Miske-Gerstenberger-Jenőné.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”