Karl Gebhardt

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
dwicky

Re: Karl Gebhardt

Post by dwicky » 14 Nov 2010 18:58

Gebhardt looks so tiny next to Daluege. Does anybody know how tall Gebhardt was? Or Daluege? If I'm correct Hitler was about 175, so maybe Daluege was about 195? And Gebhardt about 170?

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 14 Nov 2010 23:10

Gebhardt was 1,69 m. tall. You're nearly right.)))

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 15 Nov 2010 06:03

Haha oh wow. Where did you find out that?

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 15 Nov 2010 12:02

It would come from his personal file
Phil Nix

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 15 Nov 2010 15:09

And where can I find that?

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 15 Nov 2010 16:59

I remember that it was mentioned somewhere on this forum. He was not a tall man, but much taller than Rudi Brandt or Prof. Joachim Mrugowsky...

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 15 Nov 2010 18:27

Mrugowsky doesn't look that short. How tall was he?

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 15 Nov 2010 18:40

Judging from the photo, he was something about 165-166. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly. But he was just a little bit taller than Rudi Brandt, who was... very small in stature.)

Dieter Zinke
Forum Staff

Post by Dieter Zinke » 15 Nov 2010 18:58

Excuse me, but every forum seems to have one, a gossip in chief.
May you please return to a serious and well-informed posting :roll:

Dieter Zinke

Andrey
Host - ABR sections

Post by Andrey » 15 Nov 2010 20:14

Sneachta wrote:Judging from the photo, he was something about 165-166. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly. But he was just a little bit taller than Rudi Brandt, who was... very small in stature.)
Dear "Sneachta",
I think your ukranian/russian words "Ё-бля" in your avatar is non correct to use in this AHF.
I think you'd be wrong with them...
I hope for your understanding this unpleasant moment.
AHF forum is too serious for this "manifestations". Sorry...

Andrey.

Sneachta

Post by Sneachta » 15 Nov 2010 20:32

I am deeply sorry...

Landsberger

Post by Landsberger » 22 Dec 2010 01:29

Yes, may we all please return to a serious and well-informed posting:

Nuremberg Interview records for Gebhardt and many others are now available (for a price) at Footnote.com.
I would like to share a portion of this interview by just linking to the online source but the subscription requirement makes that impossible. The image files of the typewritten page are also too large to post here.

Image files were run through Optical Character Reader software, cleaned up laboriously and presented via cut and paste below. This is still alot of info......but fascinating.

As close as Gebhardt is to Himmler from childhood, he won't admit to interrogator that RFSS essentially LIVED at Hohenlychen for months at the end of the war, or that he (Gebhardt) left Flensburg with Himmler.

Less of an interview that press the button and get the full discourse:

Testimony of Prof. Karl Gebhardt
Taken at: Nuremberg, Germany
10:30 - 12:15, 18 October 1945
Taken by: Maj. John J. Monigan, Jr.
CAC, OUSCC. Also Present:
Interpreter: Capt. Mark Priceman
Reporter: Tec 4 James P. Buck

excerpt starts at:

Q: You had a friendly relationship with Himmler, did you not?

A: Both our families, Himmler's and mine originated from Landshut. My father was the family physician of Himmler’s and Himmler's father was the principal of my school. Himmler’s older brother was my classmate throughout my time in school and so my main friendship was with that brother.

And only when I was called to Hohenlychen in 1933 and when I acquired a certain reputation through my position as the official surgeon of the Olympic games in Berlin did my connection with Himmler, that is the younger Himmler, become more intimate, and it was then that I became an honorary SS leader.

Before I had not been either a member of the SS or of the party. When I say before I mean before 1933. As a result of my positions I enjoyed the confidence of Reichsführer Himmler and Reichsportführer Tschammer and Todt.

As of 1935 Hohenlychen acquired a special status by order of the Führer. I might stress that Hohenlychen was a private enterprise. I was neither paid by the party nor by the state. Even before 1935, in 1933, 1934 and 1935 I had treated as patients at Hohenlychen certain foreign personalities as well as special people such as Rudolf Hess.

While a patient at my hospital Rudolph Hess was visited by the Führer several times and thus the Führer got acquainted with the special character of Hohenlychen.

This special character of Hohenlychen consisted in our being the foremost European installation for reconstructive surgery.

Hohenlychen was set up as a large sport camp. There were no different classes. Everybody wore sport clothes, ate the same, was treated the same and paid the same as everybody else.

The Fuehrer ordered then that we should create special barracks for prominent officials where anybody whom he considered as important whom he was interested in and who was in need of the special treatment that was given at Hohenlychen should undergo a cure. And therefore I would receive at Hohenlychen not only personalities from foreign countries but mainly all proponent persons from Germany who were in need of my services.

Among the people who most frequently availed themselves of this opportunity to come there for a cure were Himmler and his family and many of the leading personalities of the SS. There were several human and professional reasons for Himmler to make use of my establishment. Firstly we had this family connection and secondly I enjoyed his absolute confidence. Up to the present, in my interrogations by British officers, I have taken the position that it should satisfy my interrogators if I testified under oath that there were professional and medical reasons for Himmler to require my services and that I am bound by my professional ethics not to disclose the exact nature of those reasons and I request that I be permitted to maintain this position.

Hohenlychen was never a disguise for any SS purposes. It was exactly what I told you it was. The only exception concerns the last four weeks that is the month of April, 1945. The front lines were only about fifty or 35 kilometers away from Hohenlychen and I myself was Chief Surgeon of an army group. Himmler’s headquarters were about 20 kilometers away from Hohenlychen. Whenever Himmler wanted to confer with either the army group or with myself or any personalities, such as Count Bernadotte, but if for some reason he would not want these conferences to take place at his headquarters, he would use my establishment. Therefore, during the last four weeks everything was mixed-up and conditions were not normal. Even during the previous years whenever some prominent political chief or military chief was at Hohenlychen as a patient he would receive members of his staff at Hohenlychen, but that was not a matter that concerned me.

And if I may come back now to the original question as to my relationship with Himmler: It was rather independent. I was not his subordinate in the same way as most of the physicians in the SS.

Tschammer, Todt and Himmler had given me in 1933 the great opportunity to carry out my scientific experiments. And in return I performed many services for them and for their following.

Himmler had serious worries of a nature to require my services and in this regard I was his friend and I helped him.

Aside from my professional activities in the SS I made an effort to keep out of general SS matters in order not to get mixed-up with any frictions and difficulties.

I maintained comradely relationships with such people as Kaltenbrunner, Heydrich and so forth. I never interfered with their policies but every once in a while I was able to obtain favors from them.

As for instance, after the 20th of July in 1944 when I obtained certain releases, but I never did any such thing without taking the matter up with the authority concerned.

I deliberately made use of my influence over Himmler in the Jewish question and in the affair of the 20th of July. Up to the end I performed operations on Jewish patients in my hospital and I also maintained my foreign contacts.

Himmler frequently called me to his headquarters but the reason for this was not that I was the Chief of any particular department. On the contrary, it was my position as a trusted friend which induced him to do this.

To Himmler I was the link with his middle class past. Himmler was not a sinister or "big" man. He was a growing personality and actually he was modest and unassuming. On the other hand he respected our friendship and family relationship and never encumbered my conscience by informing me of his business affairs. This I would say was my relationship with Himmler.

I would like to stress that I never had any discrepancies with Himmler up until our last meeting on the 9th of May, 1945.

On that date Himmler had once more met all the Gruppenfuehrers in person in Schleswig Holstein. State Secretary Ohlendorf who was a Gruppenfuehrer and myself made the suggestion that Himmler should surrender himself as the head of all the Gruppenführers present to the British and should issue instructions to all SS officials to do the same.

The draft for the declaration which was to accompany this action, and which I prepared stated specifically that all of us of General’s rank would assume the responsibility for all orders issued by us including such things as our sulfonamide experiments (as far as these were of a scientific nature). For political reasons - Sweden had something to do with it - Himmler decided not to follow this advice and left Flensburg together with the other leaders.

I myself, surrendered with a letter to Field Marshal Montgomery and the British General Rocks. I am not sure of the spelling of that name. I mention this because I have been repeatedly asked about all sorts of thinks regarding conditions at Berlin during those days and I obviously don't know anything about them.

Q: From what you have learned regarding the medical experiments, either during the time before the end of the war or since that time, do you think that Himmler in establishing such activities was motivated by a genuine interest is the improvement of science?

A: As much as I know Himmler, I think was going through a great human conflict. On the one hand there was his absolute obedience to the Führer. As a matter of fact the SS as a whole had been organized as an order.

The best way to understand the SS and Himmler’s actions is to compare it to the Jesuits. It’s really the same thing. There was an oath which everyone had to take to assume office, as I did myself, when I became honorary leader in 1935.

One had to swear absolute obedience to one’s immediate Superior and that one would consider every order issued as necessary in the interest of the state, and not ask any questions. I imagine that Himmler had the same experience on a higher level.

Between 1933 and 1939 it was rather easy to remain faithful to this oath. Everything that was required of us made sense.

The war introduced for the first time destructive measures: for positive measures it substitute negative ones. Now the aim was to destroy rather than build up. Questions like the Jewish Question or the question of the concentration camps were coming at us like an avalanche.

To this was added the question of the East. Himmler’s program there was to settle German peasants in those territories as a bulwark, but Rosenberg’s policy was entirely different.

With an absolutely amazing fanaticism carried out all these negative tasks of his but it was really against his desires and whenever he had a chance to do something positive, something constructive, he would jump at the opportunity.
And now I am coming to the question what was Himmler’s attitude towards experiments. Since fate had given him the task of doing the dirty work for the revolution as there is always one man who has to take the responsibility for it (Robespierre had his task in the French Revolution), he told me many times that he was anxious to make the best of any chance to combine positive constructive contributions with this sinister task of his.

(Interview continues)

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 22 Dec 2010 19:31

Thank you very much!

Landsberger

Post by Landsberger » 22 Dec 2010 21:27

Here is a link to alot of images (and sites) re Hohenlychen.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expI ... 80&bih=598

I presume RFSS headquarters and communications to still be on the train Stiermark even when Himmler was staying
at Hohenlychen from Jan -April 1945. Can anyone say where the train was 'parked?'

Thanks

dwicky

Post by dwicky » 22 Dec 2010 21:39

I found a site with some pictures of Gebhardt and other things. http://picasaweb.google.com/freiherrvon ... rlGebhardt#

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”