SS-Gruf. Johann Rattenhuber - GFP-RSD Passport

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Martinski

SS-Gruf. Johann Rattenhuber - GFP-RSD Passport

Post by Martinski » 12 Mar 2013 14:00

For my research about the FHQu "Wehrwolf" I recently acquired the book "Волчьи логова: Адольф Гитлер на войне, в политике, в быту" (Wolf dens: Adolf Hitler in the war, in policy, in a life) by the russian author Arkadiy Yarovoi.

His book contains several pictures of the remains of the former FHQu "Wehrwolf" as taken by the NKVD in early 1944 at the liberation of the Winniza area.

One of the intruiging photos shows the first pages of the Soldbuch, apparently belonging to SS-Gruf. Johann Rattenhuber. The Soldbuch shows his last promotion dated 24.II.1945 (SS-Gruf.).

Remarkable is the inscription of his Erkennungsmarke and number: "Geheime Feldpolizei Gr.GFP. RSD." Nr: 1 ! Also his Soldbuch bears number 1.

Can we assume this is his original Soldbuch contained in the KGB-Archives? Rattenhuber was captured in 1945 and prisoner in the former Soviet-Union; released in 1956. So the publication of these pages is plausible?

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: SS-Gruf. Johann Rattenhuber - GFP-RSD Passport

Post by Georges JEROME » 13 Mar 2013 00:23

I can't find mention of this Group of GFP in any of my books dedicated to GFP. (Geissner GFP, Krichbaum The Secret Field Police)
The bio of Rattenhuber in Band 4 Schulz/Zinke bios upon General der Polizei don't mention this unit.

Georges

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 13 Mar 2013 05:31

Hi Georges!

Thanks for the reply. But the unit did exist as well! I received copies of their original archives (their Kriegstagebuch and the daily reports and mail between the sections located on four spots inside the Security Zone surrounding the FHQu) and their Chief: SS-Gruf. Rattenhuber. These copies (about 5.000 pages) come from the KGB-Archives. They were all translated from German into Russian from 1947 - 1949. I do own BOTH versions: original in German and the translations.

And indeed - they use these abbreviations as used on the copy of Rattenhuber's Soldbuch.

The unit was formed already in November 1941, making use of agents of the Geheime Feldpolizei when they planned the construction of the new FHQu near the HQ's of Heeresgruppe Süd (then located in Poltawa / Ukraine). This will be discussed and documented in my upcoming book about the FHQu "Wehrwolf". I have all names and their parental units documented.

But I showed and mentioned the copy of the Soldbuch while I think (and believe) that the mention about the Erkennungsmarke in fact is the text and individual number as shown on their round (or oval) Secret Police (or rather known as "Gestapo") warrant disc they carried to ID them in the field while on duty. In their KTB is also mentioned that the local agents received their "Erkennungsmarke".

The fact that I recognised the abbreviation of the unit here on Rattenhuber's passport struck me.

Will upload some of the used headers of their reports some later.

Martin

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 13 Mar 2013 07:31

Hi Georges, as promised already some copies of the headers of their mail.

The unit started in November under the command of Kriminalrat (SS-Stubaf.) Friedrich SCHMIDT: Leiter d Geh. Feldpolizei – Gruppe zbV – Kriminalrat Schmidt (SS Nr 250 000). His main deputy was Krim.Ob.-Sekr. Karl Danner (SS-Ustuf. - SS Nr: 276 663).

Their men came mainly from the unit: GFP 721 beim 62.Div.; headed by Feldpolizeikommissar Möller (Leiter d. GFP 721).

In their first documents they used the header: OT-Einsatz Classen - Feldpolizei. Then, on 6.12.1941, they recieved a document, drawn and signed by SS-Staf. RATTENHUBER that the until then used designation (bisherige Sonderkommando “Schmidt” im Führerhauptquartier die Bezeichnung “Sonderdienststelle”) changed. In the same document he states that they don't want to get them confused with the units: “Einsatzgruppen” and will from now on use the designation "“Sonderdienststelle / Sicherungsgruppe".

The first reports from Nov / Dec 1941 bear: Unterkunft des OT-Einsatz Classen und die Geh. Feldpolizei – Gruppe zbV. And:
"Dienststelle Geh. Feldpolizei – Gruppe zbV"

In December 1941, they (including the O.T. construction unit under the command of Siegfried CLASSEN) moved to their definitive location: Strishawka near Winniza.

There, they started the use of the header: "Reichssicherheitsdienst - Gruppe Geheime Feldpolizei". All mail and KTB are DIRECTLY addressed to and from SS-Staf (from 27.4.1942 - SS-Oberführer) Johann Rattenhuber.

I went to ALL 5.000 documents, they are preserved NOT in logical (by date) order, so I made a logical catalog and made annotations of each document. The result is a "shortcut" in A4 landscape format containing 106 pages. This is only my workdocument on the RSD - GFP organising and guarding the security of the surroundings of FHQu "Wehrwolf".

Regards - Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 13 Mar 2013 23:45

very interesting. Have to check datas on these various units.
Sbf (ranked 1/3/40) Friedrich Schmidt was listed in DAL 42/10 and DAL 44/10 as Stab RFSS, RSD
ranked with 3 others RSD leaders Schmidbauer, Högl, Guckenberger, Hoecke.
So Schmidt was mobilized in GFP to lead a group to protect the AH campaign headquarter. Any mention of his rank in GFP (Feldpolizeidirektor = to Kriminalrat).
Abroad, the question of counter intelligence with army are the field of GFP. RSD action was limited to protection inside Reich.

Oberhessin

Post by Oberhessin » 15 Mar 2013 13:39

Martinski, where are these 5000 pgaes located? Have they been published? Is there a name index?

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 15 Mar 2013 14:56

In the first page the number was the SS member number, Rattenhuber was the SS number 52.877, not the "1".

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 15 Mar 2013 19:49

Hello Oberhessin!

These files were captured at the end of WW2 by the Soviet Army and kept in the secret archives of the ex-KGB in Moscow. All pages were translated (translations are dated & signed by KGB-interpreters between 1947 and 1949). The were mainly interested in tracing traitors and collaborators. There is also a "hunt" list for them. A lot of people (mainly women) were drafted to work for cvil companies (I compiled a list of 25 German & Polish firms) contracted by the O.T. for the construction of the FHQu in Strishawka. These people were paid by the civil companies; their signed payrolls are included in these files...!

As the ex-Soviet-Union splitted, they transferred a full set of copies to the Archives of the Security Forces in Kiew (Ukraine) as Strishawka (near Winniza) is located on their soil and is Ukrainian territory.

I received a full set of copies, the original docs in German as well as the KGB translations in Russian (I have a master degree in Russian). All copies are watermarked by the actual Ukrainian Security Forces.

I make use of these documents for my research about the history of the FHQu "Wehrwolf". Some documents bear the visible traces of fire and the marks of the water that rescued them from total destruction. Most are still perfectly legible. 90% are typewriter written, the rest drawn by hand...

These documents open total new perspectives and insight in the system applied by the RSD - GFP. E.g. there is an "URGENT" document drawn and sent on 20.January 1943 by SS-Oberführer Rattenhuber to his men in Strishawka about a possible and planned terror attack on the Führer (Geplantes Attentat auf das Führerhauptquartier bei Winniza) with all follow-up documents and mail...

When I received these Archives, it was a total mesh and a loose heap of documents; visibly the KGB had other priorities... So I went through all of them, made my own catalog and logical annotations (106 pages A4 in landscape). Documents start on 23. November 1941 and end on 20. September 1943.

If interesting, we could discuss some of them. My book about the FHQu "Wehrwolf" will be ready for publishing this Summer. My "Tour Guide" will come out early April in both English and Russian.

Martin

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 15 Mar 2013 19:56

Helly Angel!

I know that "1" is NOT the SS-Nr of SS-Ogruf. Rattenhuber! Please read my comment in my first post:

"Remarkable is the inscription of his Erkennungsmarke and number: "Geheime Feldpolizei Gr.GFP. RSD." Nr: 1 ! Also his Soldbuch bears number 1."

The mention of the ERKENNUNGSMARKE and Number '1' refer to the metal (round or oval) special tag the GFP and Gestapo used to identify them. So, as Rattenhuber was the Chief of these men (GFP - RSD) and the MAIN responsible for the Führer's security inside (and the direct surroundings) of the FHQu; I am pretty sure he had the numer "1" on his police tag as indicated on the page of his Soldbuch...

Martin
PS: the KTB of the GFP-RSD onsite in FHQu "Wehrwolf" also do mention of the distribution of these "Marken" to their agents and inspectors inside the Security Zone...

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 16 Mar 2013 09:09

From fellow forum FdW : gefunden in "Karsten Porezag - Geheime Kommandosache" (Geschichte der V-Waffen.....)

19.Dezember 1939
Reichssicherheitsdienst
Gruppe Geh. Feldpolizei z.b.V.

Reference : Protection of the FHQ des Führerhauptquartiers

The securty of the FHQ is under responsability of the Reichssicherheitsdienst .
For ( Sicherungsdienst)security duties, members fo the Schupo and Gendarmerie and officials came under authority of the chief of the Security Service of the FHQ (Leiter des Sicherungsdienstes für das FHQ) and his deputy for the time of their appointment.

Leiter: SS-Standartenführer Rattenhuber
Vetreter: Krim.Kommissar Schmidt

Strenght :
RSD - 19 Beamte
Schutzpolizei - 1 Offizier u. 102 Beamte, darunter
1 Verkehrsabteilung mit 20 Beamten zu Pferd
4 Streifenwagen mit je 4 Beamten
6 Krafträder mit Beiwagen und 6 Solomaschinen.
---

They are involved in the protection of the FHQ "Adlerhorst" in Ziegenburg next to Bad Nauheim.

Georges

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 16 Mar 2013 11:31

Many thanks, George!

SS-Stubaf Schmidt arrived in November 1941 in Lubny (120 km from Poltawa where the HQ's of Heeregruppe Süd were located) in order to command and set up the security detachment (GFP - RSD) in orderr to protect the building area near Lubny for the FHQu. In December 1941, due to railway transportation problems, the decision was taken to move the O.T. building group (under the command of the architect Siegfried Classen) and the Security Detachmant (under SS-Stubaf. Schmidt) to Strishawka (10 km N of Winniza) where the definitvie construction of FHQu "Wehrwolf" was executed.

I made up detailed lists of the detachment (they worked in 4 sections spread over 4 locations in a circle of 5 km "Security Zone" from the center of Sperrkreis 1).

The detachments used agents from the RSD (with SS- ranks) as well as GFP agents (with Wehrmacht- ranks) in mixed groups. They had ONE vehicle at their disposition: a loaned (rather detached) Kübelwagen (WH – 1222980 Fahrer: Obergefr. Glasenap d. 4. schw. Komp. des Führerbegleitbtl. ). So, the agents drove around in a car showing a Wehrmacht vehicle license plate and "GD" and/or "FBB" insignia! I can imagine that this gave strange "stories" at the liberation of Winniza because the people in the villages described what they've seen...

A strange story: on 10. August 1942 (A. Hitler was present in the FHQu), one of the GFP-RSD agents had a mortal accident (tödlicher Unfall im Dienst Uffz. Mense Wilhelm / Stammeinheit: Geh. Feldpolizei Gruppe 726). Uffz. Mense came back on foot from a patrol along the railway line (4 km East of the Sperrkreis 1). As a train rolled by, he hitched himself a ride back in order to be faster back in his quarters. In those days, O.T. rebuilt the railway bridge over the river Dessna (Google: 49.310545° 28.556438°). Normally, all trains slowed down in order to cross the bridge under construction slowly. That day, the bridge was finished and slowing down was no longer necessary. Uffz. Mense was unaware of this change. So he jumped off the train at full speed.

He was buried near the railway line, his body was inspected by "zuständiger Truppenartzt des FHQu, Herr Oberstabsarzt, Dr. Walker"; his file was sent to: Kriegsgerichtsrat Winniza: v. Schönfeldt and Feldkommandantur Winniza: Hptm. Gädiche.

At his funerals: Beerdigung: Kranz gefertigt d. Firma Seidenspinner (the famous German company who was responsable for the vegetation and camouflage measures inside and around the FHQu (Seidenspinner worked in "Wolfsschanze" as well as in ""Wehrwolf"). Seidenspinner also administered most of the female workers from teh surraounding villages and paid them twice a month!

I have many more details from these RSD - files! It is a treasure for my research! Luckily these agents did really their homework and made up VERY detailed police documents...

Martin

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 17 Mar 2013 14:30

The early composition of the GFP-RSD Security Detachment started in November 1941 in Lubny (120 W of Poltawa) as following:

Reichssicherheitsdienst Geh. Feldpolizei zbV

- 8 Beamte:
- SS-Ustuf. Danner
– SS-Ustuf. Bunde (lost his SS-TK ring on-site - report 25. Dez. 1941 by SS-Stubaf. Schmidt)
– SS-Hschaf. Just
– SS-Hschaf. Ostwald
– SS-Hschaf. Schumacher
– SS-Hschaf. Resch
– SS-Hschaf. Jacob
– SS-Oschaf. Weindel

- ab 22.11.1941 :Verpflegung durch Verwaltung A.Pf.Laz. 542 (Armee-Pferde-Lazarett 542)
- Am 30.11.1941: Verpflegung durch OT

A compiled list of GFP agents with some data and their parental GFP unit as attached in the PDF.

In the KTB of the GFP-RSD is mentioned on 7. May 1942:
"Sicherung d. Anlage Eichenhain 47 Beamte u 4 Dolmetscher (7.5.42) / 4 Sicherungsgruppen auf mehrere Bauernkaten verteilt" = The security of Anlage Eichenhain is done by 47 agents and 4 interpreters; they are divided in 4 Security Sections over several peasant houses".

About these "interpreters" I would like to start a separate thread!

Martin

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 21 Mar 2013 16:00

Hey Georges!

Ordered me the books you indicated (Gessner GFP, Krichbaum The Secret Field Police) and recived both copies today. Gessner is very interesting and also confirms on pages 185 - 187 (the Arnold Kostrowski trial) two interesting facts I already commented:

1. Page 185: "Durch faschistische Soldaten erhielt er den Hinweis, dass in der nahegelegenen Stadt Shitomir Dolmetscher benötigt würden. Er meldete sich bei der Kommandantur und wurde an die Gruppe der GFP 721 verwiesen. Dort wurde er nach einigen Tagen als Sprachmittler (Dolmetscher) eingestellt. In der Folgezeit war der Angeklagte stolz, in der GFP Dienst zu tun."

This confirms what I wanted to indicate in the thread I started about their "Achilles' heel: their interpreters...
see : http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=197602

2. Page 187: "Ende Oktober 1941 wurde die GFP-Gruppe 721 nach Belaja Zerkow verlegt, von dort Mitte November 1941 nach Lubny."
This confirms that the GFP unit was split up and one part was mixed with the RSD-agents and used in LUBNY to secure the surroundings of the intended Führerhauptquartier as I also already discussed.

In December, this newly formed GFP-RSD unit moved back to Strishawka (near Winniza) together with the O.T. - construction unit (F. Classen), while the parental unit (GFP 721) moved further to ROMNY (ref. Gessner).

Thanks for pointing me out these sources!

Martin

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 21 Mar 2013 17:50

Y're wellcome.
your posting are of great interest !

Georges

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 26 Mar 2013 09:34

Hey Gorges!

I just received the book "Geheime Kommandosache" by Karsten Porezag. And indeed, on Page 415 I found the interesting document, drawn on 19. Dez. 1939 about "die Sicherung des Führerhauptquartieres" which clearly defines the roles of SS-Staf. Rattenhuber and his Deputy, SS-Hstuf. u. Krim.-Komm. Schmidt. Great information.

I included an excerpt from an early document, dated 3. Dezember 1941 from LUBNY (the small town, 120 km West of Poltawa where the construction of Hitler's Führerhauptquartier in Ukraine was meant, BEFORE moving to Strishawka near Winniza). The document is signed by SS-Stubaf u. Krim-Rat Friedrich Schmidt (Schmidt was promoted to SS-Stubaf. on 1. März 1940).

So - this also indicates that Rattenhuber stayed near Hitler in the FHQu "Wolfsschanze" while his Deputy Schmidt went East and supervised the activities of the newly formed group GFP-RSD. I have many documents signed by Schmidt in my "Wehrwolf" files.

BUT... two other interesting facts about SS-Stubaf u. Krim.-Rat Friedrich Schmidt!

1. I discovered on the website http://www.HolocaustResearchProject.org that SS-Stubaf Friedrich Schmidt commanded SONDERKOMMANDO 4a from Jan - Feb 1943;

2. I also ordered his pers. file. There is a letter from 19.10.1944 signed by SS-Stubaf Friedrich Schmidt in which he indicates his new posting: "Feldpolizeidirektor Friedrich Schmidt - Feldpostnummer 14441"... !!!

Checking FPN 14441, one finds:
(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Stab Landesschützen-Bataillon 331
(27.1.1942-14.7.1942) gestrichen
(15.7.1942-24.1.1943) Alarm-Bataillon Rostow I
(25.1.1943-31.7.1943) gestrichen
(24.3.1944-6.11.1944) 14.4.1944 Kommando "Z" u. Sonder-Fernsprech-Bauzug Kommando "Z".

So... I guess this "Kommando "Z" is a code for a secret Object. As Schmidt was engaged in the security of Führerhauptquartiere, I guess that this "Kommando "Z" is also a FHQu ? What you think?

Martin

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”