Security in the Führerbunker 24.04.45

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Halfdan S.

Security in the Führerbunker 24.04.45

Post by Halfdan S. » 15 Mar 2017, 21:01

A very interesting document sold today at Militaria321: https://www.militaria321.com/auktionsde ... ID=6656429
5650664.jpg
Genuine?! At first I didn't think so, but now I tend to believe that it might actually be, well, at least the document - the scribble that is thought by the seller to be the signature of Theo Morell I don't consider genuine. I'm not even sure that it is a signature at all.

The documents mentions the following:

Adjudantur des Führers - Chefadjudant was SS-Ogruf. Julius Schaub - also in the Adjudantur was SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Günsche (and NSKK-Gruf. Alwin-Broder Albrecht);

Leiter des RSD, Dienststelle 1 was SS-Obersturmbannführer Peter Högl - Dienststelle 1 took care of the security of Adolf Hitler;

Leiter des RSD, Dienststelle 15 is more interesting since we only have 14 Dienststellen in Axis Hist. Factbook: http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations ... dienst-rsd

Führer des …-Begleitkommandos was SS-Obersturmbannführer Franz Schädle;

Leiter des Kraftwagenparks was SS-Obersturmbannführer Erich Kempka;

Polizeirevier 8, Berlin W9?

Also mentioned are:
Kampfgruppe Mohnke - Führer was off course SS-Brigf. Wilhelm Mohnke;

Kampfkommandant Reichskanzlei, who as far as I remember was SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Günsche;

Komp.Führer Volkssturm, Reichskanzlei.

Any comments?
Who would the Dienststelle 15 have protected? Martin Bormann? Gestapo-Müller? Axmann and Naumann were also in Berlin, but would they have had RSD-protection, I don't think so … Axmann would surely have been protected by his own HJ. Dr. Goebbels was protected by Dienststelle 5.
Who would be the leader of the Polizeirevier 8?
and Komp. Führer Volkssturm, Reichskanzlei?

The only administrative division of the Berlin post districts I have been able to find go back to 1873!?
Straube_Berlin_Postbezirke_1873.jpg
Best
Halfdan S.

Max Williams

Re: Security in the Führerbunker 24.4.1945

Post by Max Williams » 16 Mar 2017, 10:44

I'd be very suspicious of this. For a start, the address is not what would appear on a document of this sort. No, I think your first assessment was probably correct. The signature is almost certainly a fantasy and there is no rank. It is definitely not Theo Morell. Rattenhuber would appear somewhere on this, either as an addressee or as the sender. Plus, it just looks fake. These are all basic things, without even starting on the content.
Max.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 16 Mar 2017, 21:25

Thanks for your opinion, Max, it really is a strange document. You are absolutely right, quite a few things doesn't ad up.

As you point out, all other documents I have seen of this type simultaneously give "Führerhauptquartier" as place of issue - what really puzzles me is this repeated mentioning of postal codes. First off all the documents warns of spies etc. and yet again and again gives a fix of the position of the FHQ: Berlin W 8, Polizeirevir 8, Berlin W 9, Volkssturmkomp. REICHSKANZLEI - should the document have fallen into the hands of Seydlitz-troops or others the Soviets would have known where to look for the Führer … actually the charged the Reichstag because they believed that would be where the Führer was.

Furthermore postal codes make no sense at this time since there was hardly any postal service functioning in Berlin in late April 1945.

The letter speaks of "Ich" which makes you miss a signature (Schaub and Albert Bormann had left Berlin by this time, so it would have been Günsche or Albrecht running the Adjudantur)

You miss Rattenhuber, Max … well, both Dienststelle 1 and 15 (!) would have belonged to the RSD. You could argue that Rattenhuber should known everything about his main object - on the other Hand Peter Högl, leader of Dienststelle 1, was Rattenhuber's deputy.

Next question is why you would want to inform the Polizeirevir 8 and the Volkssturmkomp. RKanzl.?

I wonder whether you would use Volkssturm to guard the RKanzl. - on the other Hand the basement was full with all kinds of people.

The last time I was in Berlin I saw documents concerning the Volkssturm in Berlin - Dr. Naumann was Commander of the Bataillon made up by people from the Regierungsviertel - and amongst other Hans Hertel was Kompanie-Führer. So you could argue that they were trusted people.

What actually fascinates me about this document, I think, is the usage of RSD-Dienststelle 15 - this is the core that makes me wonder whether it could after all be a genuine document. If its a fake what an imagination the forger would have had :-)

If there ever was such a thing as Dienststelle 15, in the view of who was in Berlin, it must have guarded either Martin Bormann or Heinrich Müller.

Regards
Halfdan S.

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 08 Apr 2017, 15:10

Good afternoon,

I made a study of this document:
“Document Reichskanzlei april 1945”
Adjutantur Dokument.jpg
As a modest collector of “Berlin 1945” and “Berlin Volkssturm” – paperwork, I search on a regular base the www for interesting items. In my limited collectors field these paper items do not pop up to often. A while back, I had a “search-hit” on a well known militaria auction site.

In short; it was a one page document (supposedly) written in the Reichskanzlei on april 24th 1945 during the battle for Berlin

I decided to research this document (without having it on hand) based on the pictures shown on the auction site. The www with Google and my own reference material (digital and books)should provide the much needed help.

1. Initial evaluation of the “document” :
a. The document is not written on the well known “Adjutantur des Führers” official paper (with the printed eagle). The paper used, seems to be plain paper. The color looks (old) yellowish …

b. The document comes from the “Adjutantur des Führers” , an existing office, housed in the Reichskanzlei. This office with members of all military branches arranged Hitlers agenda and paperwork . The address “Berlin W 8” is correct for the Reichskanzlei. Date: 24.4.1945.

c. The addressees.
* Leiter RSD (Reichssicherheitsdienst) Dienststelle 1: this unit did exist, composed of “policemen special branch” in military uniform
responsible for the security of Hitler (where the Führer was, they were … ). They had an office in the Reichskanzlei.
* Leiter RSD Dienststelle 15: this “unit” is as such not to be found on the www, there was however a RSD Kontrolldienst Reichskanzlei (could
this be Dienststelle 15 ?)
*Führer des SS-Begleitkommandos : SS-bodyguards for Hitler commanded by Franz SCHÄDLE ; he commited suicide in the Reichskanzlei). These bodyguards were always on stand bye near the Führer.
* Leiter des Kraftwagenparks : the “garage” of the Reichskanzlei commanded by Erich KEMPKA . In 1945 Kempka oversaw a fleet of 40 vehicles, 60 drivers and mechanics
* Polizeirevier 8, Berlin W 9: not to be found on the www , but there is an address in the 1941 telephone guide for Berlin : Linkstrasse 2. This
address on Potsdamer Platz is very near to the Reichskanzlei. (see map composition below)
* Kampfgruppe Mohnke : Brigadeführer Mohnke commanded on april 24th some SS-Bns that defended the 4 square block area around the
Reichskanzlei, a few days later (april 26th) he would become commander of the central defense area “Z”.
* Kampfkommandant Reichskanzlei : MOHNKE himself (??? TBC)
* Komp. Führer Volkssturmkomp. Reichskanzlei : this Coy is mentioned in the literature without additional info. Its name suggests that it was
engaged near (in ?) the Reichskanzlei.

Peter
Polizeirevier 8 - map ok.jpg
Polizeirevier 8 - map ok.jpg (137.26 KiB) Viewed 5765 times

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 08 Apr 2017, 15:19

d. The text (strongly condensed ):
“… in the actual situation there exists a risk that spies and others, using captured ID-papers, could try to enter the Reichskanzlei. The way to handle this situation, is to compare (before allowing entrance to the Reichskanzlei ) very good the picture on those ID-papers with their bearer… further there is decided who is responsible for entrance allowances i.e. the Adjutantur or Kampfgruppe Mohnke …. ”.

2. Intermediate evaluation of the “document” :
a. The addressees are all those (existing and traceable) units/services that were stationed in or very close to the Reichskanzlei. The RSD and SS-Begleit unit had their posts in the Reichskanzlei and were involved in controlling personal. The garage/vehicle entrance fell under the responsibility of the Kraftwagenpark. The police (Polizeirevier 8) had its station close bye and (still on april 23th – 24th) had its duty of controlling the public. The Kampfgruppe Mohnke and the VS-Coy were organizing positions for the upcoming battle in close distance to the Reichskanzlei in the zone under control of the Kampfkommandant Reichskanzlei. So there is a geographical link between these addressees.

b. The text, as stated before, focuses on the danger of Russians or “agents” entering the Reichskanzlei using captured German ID-documents. On april 22th 1945 the Red Army entered Berlin. On april 24th combat took place in the east and north of the city. The possibility of “ … entering the Reichskanzlei using captured german ID-documents …” on that date (april 24th) presented in the German mindset a real and present danger. The text is coherent in the sense that it highlights the problem and imposes a counteraction that should deal with it.

c. When we compare problem and counteraction (in the text) and the addressees (the guys who are supposed to take care of the problem), we see an irrefutable link.

d. The paper used, i.e. not the official paper of the Adjutantur, is coherent with a very local distribution not meant to be for “high officials” but rather for common services and units.

3. The final problem: the signature (the document is signed without name or rank added)

a. In the text is written: “ … Ich habe veranlasst …” (I’ve ordered). This means that he who signed the document is someone of rank. When we consider the “Adjutantur des Führers”, we (to) often think of Otto GÜNSCHE (picture) the well known Adjutant of A.H.

b. A comparison between the Document autograph and the GÜNSCHE signature shows a great difference; Otto GÜNSCHE did not sign this document.
Günsche - Doc.jpg
Günsche - Doc.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
c. I ‘ve put the signature of the document (after making a “screenshot”) on a German militaria forum. There the (unclear) signature was read as “UBRECHT”.

d. Then I went at work using Google. Many (hours and) searches later when I looked for “Hitler Staff” I found:
https://wiki2.org/en/List_of_Adolf_Hitl ... onal_staff
On this alphabetical list there was no UBRECHT; but there was an adjutant with the name ALBRECHT Alwin-Broder .

For this name the www offered additional information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alwin-Broder_Albrecht
Albrecht Alwin-Broder Wikipedia.jpg
Albrecht Alwin-Broder Wikipedia.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
“… In 1945, Albrecht spent time in the Führerbunker serving in his capacity as an adjutant to Hitler. During the Battle in Berlin, he was last seen defending Hitler's Reich Chancellery with a machine gun. He is believed to have committed suicide on 1 May 1945, aged 41. His body was never found…”

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 08 Apr 2017, 15:41

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/FORUMS/ ... 319&page=2
1..jpg
The signature on this Ausweis for the Reichskanzlei seems to have been put there by the same man who signed the document on auction. The signature on the Ausweis was written (as printed on the pass ) by the “Persönlicher Adjutant des Führers” but again: no name.
Could this be the autograph of Oberführer des NSKK Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT ?
2..jpg
2..jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
On the whole www, I could not find a single document signed by Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT where his name AND his autograph were shown.

But then, out of the blue, I found this … http://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/63/3442

Up for auction was a presentation Ashtray Inscribed to Hitlers Military Adjutants in 1938.
On the Tray (sold for +3000 $) were the 4 signatures engraved of the Adjututants …
Among those : “Albrecht” (Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT).
3..jpg

The autor of the signature was now confirmed.

For a last comparison I put the three autographs together
4..jpg
4..jpg (54.87 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
4. Final evaluation of the “document” :
a. The autograph is that of the Führers Adjutant NSKK Oberführer Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT. The writer David IRVING who owns at least 18 letters written by Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT confirmed me that the signature (on the auction document) was indeed that of ALBRECHT. This Adjutant was confirmed present in the Reichskanzlei on april 24th 1945.
b. The date, text and addressees of this document are in a logic sense linked.
c. The used paper seems to be proper for this message and these addressees ( for the main part housed IN the Reichskanzlei).
d. 4.a., 4.b. and 4.c. combined, indicate that this document is probably genuine and period.
e. This is IMHO a very rare document that survived those eventful final days in the center of Berlin april/May 1945. Its source (Adjutantur des Führers in the Reichskanzlei), very rare signature of Hitlers “Persönlicher Adjutant” Alwin-Broder ALBRECHT, addressees (MOHNKE, KEMPKA and SCHÄDLE) make this – for me at least – a very interesting and desirable document…

Enjoy the weekend,
Peter

PS: the back shows a list of 18 different signatures under the title : Kenntnis genommen 24.4 (translated: " read and understood")
a scan of the upper 11 signatures.
Dokument Rückseite farbe - 1.jpg
Dokument Rückseite farbe - 1.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 08 Apr 2017, 18:19

Interesting analysis, Peter!

Führer des Sicherheitskontrolldienst was Rattenhuber, so he would hardly have been head of a "Dienststelle 15".

Regards
Halfdan S.

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 09 Apr 2017, 07:40

Good morning,

I do hope at least that the front "signature-issue" is cleared up.

"... the scribble ... I don't consider genuine. I'm not even sure that it is a signature at all...."
"... The signature is almost certainly a fantasy ..."

The RSD Dienststelle 15 is IMHO the only "service" to identify.

As the "RSD Dienststelle 1" has been underlined by a - handdrawn - blue line, IMO this copy (out of 5) was the one for this "Dienststelle 1".
Therefore should the signatures on the back belong to members of this Dienststelle 1.

Here a scan of the complete list of 19 (and not 18, as I mistakenly wrote) signatures.

Enjoy the Sunday,
Peter
signatures.jpg

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 09 Apr 2017, 20:13

Hi Peter,

take you bought the document … nice find.

It surely seems that this document could very well have been signed by Albrecht - he and Günsche after Schaubs departure the day before were the only remaining members of the Adjudantur. I do believe that Günsche at some point was made Kampfkommandant der RK by Hitler … well, anyway the document seems to tell us that Albrecht headed the day to day business of the Adjudantur after Schaubs departure … I also believe that I have read somewhere that Hitler wasn't too pleased with him.

I really find this Dienststelle 15 intriguing. With danger of repeating myself it could only have been protecting two people in Berlin: Bormann and Gestapo-Müller …

Regards
Halfdan S.

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 10 Apr 2017, 07:04

Good morning Halfdan,
One day, that "Dienststelle 15" will be "named" for sure.
Does a list with all members belonging to the RSD exist ?
Did the Reichskanzlei not have its own RSD detachement, responsable for entrance control ?Regards
Peter

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 10 Apr 2017, 09:26

To ID those signatures is a real challenge ...

Heading : Kenntnis genommen 24./4.

Augmüller
Hübner
Gering
Rubbenstroth
Hofbeck (?)
Kühn
Mannsfeld
Jabelmann

Hanisch
Rattner
Köbzow
Kufeldt (?)
..nba
Poppen (or Pappen)

Regards,
Peter

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 11 Apr 2017, 12:38

If genuine, you are quite right that this particular copy was that of the Leader of RSD Dienstelle 1, as indicated by the blue pencil underlining. If that is the case, the signatures on the reverse (which we didn't have the benefit of knowing about when first assessing the piece) would be those of that unit. They each sign to acknowledge they have seen it. What I find very suspicious, is that the signature of the leader himself (Högl) does not appear anywhere. Normally, he would at least initial the front to confirm it has been received and read - normal practice in TR correspondence. Also, as the source of the document (supposedly Hitler's adjutant, Albrecht) was not Rattenhuber, I find it amazing that Rattenhuber's name does not appear anywhere as an addressee. Was he not to be kept in the loop? And why is Rattenhuber not the source? Adjutants were not responsible for the security of Hitler. To suggest that Albrecht issued these instructions is bordering on fantasy. Hence my initial comment.
As for the signature, we have a poor image of what resembles Albrecht's signature. To be certain it is his, we would have to examine it more closely. Mr. Irving is a good historian and researcher, albeit with some solutions that have prompted controversy. He is not an autograph or handwriting expert, and his signature authentications have been brought into question on a number of occasions before, creating an area of doubt on authenticity. The images available do not confirm the signature is ink handwritten. However, I suggest that it is ink handwritten. Whether or not by Albrecht is another matter. This can only be assessed by physical examination by an authority on signatures, not history.
The address source on all genuine documents and copies issued from the bunker that I have seen, are shown without exception as 'Führerhauptquartier'. This was the official title of the bunker, especially at this late stage. Why on earth would the address be shown, completely out of character, as a postcode?
Was the local police station in Linkstrasse responsible for the area covering the Reichskanzlei? Or was the building by then being used for another purpose? Who knows?
Finally, the implied suggestion that forgers do not go to extraordinary lengths is simply untrue.
The signatures on the reverse look genuine and this alone reduces the amount of suspicion. However, I am still not convinced that this is an authentic document issued from the bunker on 24 April 1945. Further research is necessary.
Max.

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 12 Apr 2017, 08:05

Good morning Max,

Thanks for the very extensive reply; food for some further discussion !

… to suggest that Albrecht issued these instructions is bordering fantasy …”

I agree that the security of AH and the Reichskanzlei was Rattenhubers responsibility. All directives and orders relating to that security should come from him. On the other side, examples that the Adjutant of the Führer did give orders in the “security field” do exist :

- Max WÜNSCHE (as Adjutant) ordered on 18th of November 1939 that some extra guards (coming from RSD or SS-Begleitkommando) had to be put on duty. Source: Peter Hoffmann, die Sicherheit des Diktators, 1975, page 184
- The SS-Begleitkommando was led until the end by SCHÄDLE, following directives from Adjutant GÜNSCHE who was made responsible for this outfit by AH. Source: Peter Hoffmann, die Sicherheit des Diktators, 1975, page 70 - 71

The Adjutantur was, as stated correctly, “… not responsible for the security…”.

- When we look closely to the text of the document, we see that the “subject” is in fact not the organization of the security (where, when , how many guards …) but the documents allowing entrance to the Reichskanzlei. And that is indisputable the competence of the Adjutantur.
(see picture, btw without name or rank !)
- This ALBRECHT document informs the controlling services that the entrance documents delivered by the Adjutantur (partially for detachements of troops by Kampfgruppe MOHNKE) as of 24.4.1945 put more emphasis on the picture and physical appearance (noted on those documents). By this document the controlling services know what they could expect and what to check.
Albrecht.jpg

“ … Rattenhuber’s name does not appear … why was he not kept in the loop …”

- One can imagine that, as they all were permanent in the Reichskanzlei, they spoke with each other. This document could very well be
the result of a decision/meeting where the main actors were present. Communication did not go only by notes ….
- The purpose of this document could therefore be just that, informing the “troops” as the leaders already knew.

“… the police station in the Linkstrasse …”

- Uniformed police secured the outer perimeter of the Reichskanzlei. Early 1936 Hauptmann der Polizei KOPLI(E)N was present at a meeting
in the Reichskanzlei where the responsibility’s for SS-guards and Polizei were devided
Source: Peter Hoffmann, die Sicherheit des Diktators, 1975, page 169
- Hauptmann KOPLIN was in charge of Polizeirevier 16 (address Vostrasse 17). In 1938 this building was torn down and a reorganization / renaming of Berlin Polizeireviere took place.
- How does this police station “Linkstrasse 2” appears as an addressee on the document ? This Revier shows up for the first time in 1939 in the phonebook. I used the 1943 Berlin Adressbuch to locate all the 28 policestations in the areas Berlin MITTE and TIERGARTEN. Below a composition where each orange spot marks a policestation.
It shows clearly that this Police station is simply the closest bye.
PPT composition Polizeirevier 8.jpg
“… Used paper, postal code ….”

- Unclear why this was used, but should this be sufficient to call this document a fraud ?
(see the official paper below, also with postcode …)
Briefpapier.jpg
“ … the signature …. Mr Irving ….”

- Here a close up of the signature. Clearly written down in Ink with one fluid movement.
close up signature.jpg
- Perhaps is Mr Irving no autograph expert, but he has + 15 signatures of ALBRECHT to compare with.
- In the end it comes all down to the signature; if OK, this makes the document OK and all the, let’s be honest, circumstantial “suspicions” disappear …

Regards
Peter

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Apr 2017, 14:02

Peter,
You are, for obvious reasons, keen to "prove" this document is genuine, and I do not blame you. However, I might be mistaken, but nobody has yet declared this document as a fake. Your answers to some of the questions raised are mainly just supposition on your behalf and you have not yet advanced the proof required. You also leave some questions unanswered.
The Adjutantur des Führers Reichskanzlei blank stationery is of no value to this discussion. It is common knowledge that Hitler withdrew to the Reichskanzlei in Berlin in January 1945. From the date of his occupancy (the night of 15th-16th January) the Reichskanzlei was redesignated 'Führerhauptquartier' and all typed correspondence from that date, bore the address heading 'Führerhauptquartier'. This included the bunker complex which he occupied permanently from mid-April, although he used it extensively from the beginning of March.
I disagree that the emphasis of the content of this document is about paperwork (ie. Ausweis). It is clearly about security surrounding the bunker area and the possible use of a stolen Ausweis to gain entry. Therefore, it should emanate from the RSD, not an adjutant. Especially not from a naval and NSKK officer.
To suggest that Rattenhuber's name appears nowhere because "he already knew" is simply unacceptable. The Teutonic obsession with bureaucracy just does not allow for this option. Records were kept on everything, even at this late stage.
Finally, what is the notation after Albrecht's signature? It appears as the letter "A" or similar, and why is there no rank or position? Outside the bunker, nobody would know who Albrecht was, if they could even read his signature! He was not a high profile figure. I have seen a number of Albrecht's signatures and I have never seen this notation.
Unless proved either way, the authenticity is still not resolved and further research is called for.
Regards,
Max.

lutrebois

Post by lutrebois » 12 Apr 2017, 23:13

Hello Max,

What can I further bring to this Conversation?
Relating to the frontside ... Nothing.

But the backside has news to offer:
For now, 6 signatures have been identified as belonging to men from Dienststelle 1.
- Hofbeck nr. 5
- Bergmüller nr. 1
- Mansfeld nr. 8
- Plattner nr. 17
- Ruppenstroth nr. 4
- Kattner nr.12

These names appear in the new book:
Die Bunkerverschwörung vom 30.4.1945, by Alfred Mühlhauser. from 5.4.2017 !
Interesting are pages 278 and 290.

Regards
Peter

PS: the notation behind the signature is the mix from A(lwin) and B(roder)

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”