SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk and SS-Grenadier Klaus Schuh [12. SS "HJ"] location?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
headwest

SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk and SS-Grenadier Klaus Schuh [12. SS "HJ"] location?

Post by headwest » 08 Jan 2018, 22:19

Hi
I have been interested in the Otto Funk pictures and while I did find the location in Rots I was actually wondering where Otto Funk was wounded and Klaus Schuh killed?
There is a decent amount of info on Otto Funk but I am trying to learn more about Klaus Schuh. Do they know where he is buried? and I have read it was June 26th, 1944 that the battle they were hit in occured? and was curious if there is more to the story about where and how the battle took place?
Thank you so much, and if this is in the wrong place please move to correct area

thank you

GregSingh

Re: SS-Sturmmann Otto Funk and SS-Grenadier Klaus Schuh [12. SS "HJ"] location?

Post by GregSingh » 09 Jan 2018, 04:37

headwest

Post by headwest » 09 Jan 2018, 16:30

Hi
Thanks, yes I had seen that, but was wondering more about the events on the 26th itself. If there was more info on exactly what the battle was, where, and where Otto was wounded etc.
Sort of a then and now comparison. I couldnt find anything really specific to the location where they were, just close to the town.
thanks

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Nov 2018, 22:10

headwest wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 16:30
Hi
Thanks, yes I had seen that, but was wondering more about the events on the 26th itself. If there was more info on exactly what the battle was, where, and where Otto was wounded etc.
Sort of a then and now comparison. I couldn't find anything really specific to the location where they were, just close to the town.
thanks
Operation Epsom began on the 26th and coincided with one of the worst days for the 12th SS-HJ, with over 700 dead, wounded, or missing throughout the battles in the Odon Valley including those in and around Cheux. The 12th SS-Engineer Battalion would practically cease to exist while SS-Panzer Regiment 12 would be left with just 47 operational panzers (30 Panzer IV - 17 Panthers).

In quick summary, The plan was for VIII British Corps to cut through the German defenses midway between Caen and Tilly, to cross the Odon and the Orne, and establish its armor astride the Caen-Falaise road on the high ground between Bourguebus and Bretteville-sur-Laize. Montgomery hoped they would envelope Caen while also threatening Paris in an effort to get the Germans to commit their armored reserves to the Eastern flank. Standing in the way of VIII Corps, some 60,000 men, 600 tanks, supporting 700 artillery pieces, three offshore cruisers and a monitor were just two under strength battalions of the 26th SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment and the 12th SS-Engineer Battalion.

The situation became so dire in the Odon that the 12th SS threw every available resource into the battle. The 15th Scottish had infiltrated the villages of St. Manviue, le Haut-du-Bosq, and Cheux. Hand-to-Hand combat followed as the rain poured down. Kurt Meyer committed the weakened reconnaissance company of the 25th Regiment, Otto Funk's unit, to the sector Southeast of Cheux which was under threat of enemy breakthrough of the 11th British Armored Division.

Kurt Meyer wrote in 'Grenadiers':
The reconnaissance company is fighting for it's life. It's positions are no longer recognizable. Furious artillery fire hurls the muddy ground into the air. Still, a single anti-tank gun stands and pumps round after round into a tank column of the 11th British Armored Division. A new barrage transforms the PAK gun into a scrap heap, and no other anti-tank weapons are operational. The company is torn apart by tank fire. The first fox holes are overrun. Some of the grenadiers attempt to eliminate the enemy tanks with Panzerfausts but they do not succeed. The accompanying enemy infantry parries every attack on the tanks.

In vain I attempt to provide the company with artillery support, but the specter of ammunition shortages has long been with us. The sporadic Germany artillery fire is incapable of stopping the enemy attack. The British tanks continue to wreak havoc.

For the first time I feel a burning emptiness in my heart, and I curse the years of murder. For what I am now witnessing is no longer war, but naked murder.

I know every one of these young grenadiers. The oldest among them is barely 18. The youths have not yet learned to live but, God knows, they understand how to die!

Grinding tank tracks bring their young lives to an end. Tears run down my face and I begin to hate this war.

The rain pours without interruption. Heavy clouds pass by above the tortured earth.....Suddenly a new sound intermingles with this concert of death....The 88mm shell fire from a single Tiger tank forces the Shermans to an unequivocal halt. The British turn away; they suspend their attack in the direction of Mouen.
As night fell the beleaguered 12th SS survivors were augmented by one company of tanks and assault guns from the 21st Panzer Division.

The next day on the 27th would see British breakthroughs as they consolidated their forces against the Germans.

I'll add more specifics on Otto Funk in the next post.

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 16 Nov 2018, 05:12

In Otto Funk's own words:
A OTTO FUNK_4.jpg
We are put on alert the night of June 25 to 26. As far as I remember, we were located then at Franqueville. SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk, our chief, tells us that the English have penetrated in the sector of Cheux and that their lead elements have already arrived at our artillery positions... The 15./25 is the only available reserve. We stay put at the side of the road during the night and awaiting our orders to move out. I am in the middle of my comrades and I say, "Who will be the first of us to get hit today?” Hscha. Boigk replies "Funk, stop saying nonsense! ". The morning is here and it is still dark. The offshore enemy marine artillery suddenly spits her shells towards Cheux and Mouen. The order to engage the enemy happens, now we are climbing into our Schwimmwagen and we head for a new day of combat.

Our way leads us through Saint-Germain- la-Blanche-Herbe, the prison in the neighborhood of Venoix, Bretteville-sur-Odon and Verson and then towards Cheux. Here the destruction of the artillery was unleashed; only the trunks of the trees remain, the sensitive branches were blown off by the detonations. After that little wood we reach an open space and leave our Schwimmwagen to walk on foot near the road. The Schwimmwagen follow behind at a distance. We cross a field of grain and we reach a meadow with a hedgerow standing in front of us. We shelter here first and allow the Schwimmwagen to follow us into the grain field. They stop and camouflage.

After a short break, we parallel the hedge on the right. At the end of this hedgerow, there are ten to twelve meters of cleared land then a hollow path that runs perpendicular to the hedgerow were are sheltered behind. When the first man pours out into the open free space, a hail of tracer bullets starts shooting across and sweeping the area. We rush across through this open area one by one and find shelter in the hollow path where, miraculously, we all arrive without any losses! We move along the hollow and, after about 80 m, we move up on another hollow road that runs through the one where we are. We gather up there and Hscha. Boigk divides us into three groups of the Ille section along this path. 3rd group, to which I belong, is the last. We advance on the left, parallel along this road.

After 30 to 40 m, the hollow rises to reach ground level and we have to flatten ourselves because there are only a few bushes towards the side of the enemy with a small hedge that has been well cleared by the shell impacts. Hscha. Boigk gestures to me: "Funk, place yourself in this shell hole! And I see then, about 80 m in front of me, two houses in the middle of a lot where there are many trees. After a moment, some "English" appear running between the houses and disappear into their individual holes. Hscha. Boigk comes crawling back and gives me the order to open fire with my MG if I see someone.

Suddenly, again appear a few "English" and my MG 42 cracks to life. At the same time that I open fire I get a shock at the top of my left arm, which throws me onto my side. My partner, Klaus Schuh, immediately resumes firing the MG and Hscha. Boigk tries to administer first aid, which is not easy as we are badly sheltered in the cramped shell hole. The blood continues to flow down my left sleeve. Hscha. Boigk tells me that we have to move back to the main hollow along the road. He pulls me by the foot with his right hand and, when we arrive in this hollow, I stand up, take a few steps, and (from what will Wilhelm Boigk later told me) I faint.

When I come back to, I am lying in the bushes along the hollow road and my comrades have already cut my sleeve to stop the blood and bandage the injury. To stop the blood, they placed three packs of bandages under my armpit. The blood no longer flows but an artery has been affected. I drink two canteens, one of which belonged to an Uscha. by the name of Mohr whom I got to know here but who came from my area, that of Giessen. Boigk says to me, "Tonight, you asked who would be the first to get hit and now it's you! I'm going to leave here. We go now to launch a counterattack and a Schwimmwagen will be able to take you back" Hascha. Boigk says to Uscha. Mohr that he must make contact with the 1st section which is in position on the left of the road leading to Mouen.

Uscha. Mohr goes away and leaves me (after the war, I will look for his parents in Giessen and I will learn that their son went missing in action on June 26, 1944 ...). After a while, I hear the roar of armored engines and I see two English tanks, coming from the houses that I had seen earlier, and they go through the hollow towards our Schwimmwagen. One of them is destroyed with a Panzerfaust but the second one continues towards our Schwimmwagen. Now, Hscha. Boigk says to me, "Follow the hollow road from where we have come from and get yourself to the aid station.” I take my leave and I head for the vehicles. On the way, while I am moving back along the hollow, I am shot at several times but I finally arrive at our vehicles. Three of them are burning, destroyed by the tank, including the one that had brought me containing all my personal effects.

A comrade immediately drives me to the Château de Louvigny where one of our field hospitals is located. In the afternoon they give me first aid and a doctor removes a bullet that had entered my rib cage and crossed the left side of my thoracic cavity.

In the evening, a comrade from the 3rd group, who was also wounded, informs me that Klaus Schuh was killed in battle; he was shot three times in the forehead just below his steel helmet. I have never found the site of his burial.

SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk, seen below, who administered 1st aid and dragged Otto Funk to safety would be killed on 4.7.44. He was 30 years old and left behind a wife and children.
waffen-ss-france-1944-Max-Wunsch_1 copy.jpg
OttoFunk, will eventually re-join his division where he will fight until May 8, 1945, when he was captured believing that Germany was still going to win the war!

Otto Funk passed away on 11 September 2011.

Sources:
39/45 Magazine No64, Otto Funk ca. Georges Bernages
Blood and Honor: The History of the 12 SS Panzer Division "Hitler Youth', Michael Reynolds;
1943-1945; Kriegsgeschichte der 12.SS-Panzer Division 'Hitlerjugend' Band II, Hubert Meyer

headwest

Post by headwest » 04 Dec 2018, 18:49

Thank you so much for the details! I very much appreciate it

from what i read they were southeast of Cheoux France. he describes the road, hollow and 2 houses. would be very interesting to try and find that location

Ste

Post by Ste » 13 Mar 2019, 15:36

eindhoven wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 05:12

Uscha. Mohr goes away and leaves me (after the war, I will look for his parents in Giessen and I will learn that their son went missing in action on June 26, 1944 ...)
Unterscharführer Adolf Mohr, born 17.3.1925 in Giessen, from Stabskompanie./SS-Panzergrenadier-Rgt 25

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer » 13 Mar 2019, 19:27

I had the pleasure of meeting Otto several times at the 1. Panzer Korps reunions , he was a gentleman. Every year I go to Normandy for D-Day and visit the village of Rots where the above photos were taken .

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 13 Mar 2019, 19:59

thx eindhoven.
tragic and horrible war story. may Klaus Schuh, Moh and Wilhhelm Boigk rest in peace.

potnoodle1978

Post by potnoodle1978 » 13 Apr 2019, 14:35

headwest wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 22:19
I'm visiting Normandy in about 6 weeks time, I'm going to be visiting Rots. I don't suppose you could share that location?

cheers J
Hi
I have been interested in the Otto Funk pictures and while I did find the location in Rots I was actually wondering where Otto Funk was wounded and Klaus Schuh killed?
There is a decent amount of info on Otto Funk but I am trying to learn more about Klaus Schuh. Do they know where he is buried? and I have read it was June 26th, 1944 that the battle they were hit in occured? and was curious if there is more to the story about where and how the battle took place?
Thank you so much, and if this is in the wrong place please move to correct area

thank you

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Apr 2019, 19:57

PotNoodle1978

14980 Rots along the Route de Caen through Rots on the D613.

Rots 25th grendaiers.jpg
Rots N13 alley Boight Funk Shuh_1.jpg
ROTS N13 Panther 326.jpg
here in Rots on N13 is where Funk and the men gathered copy.jpg

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Apr 2019, 20:14

Some Then & Now I did.
RN13 near Rots now and then.jpg
SS-Oberschütze Günther Strelow with MG 42, SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk (KIA 04.07.1944) with grenades, and with binoculars SS-Unterscharführer Wick.
SS-Schütze Günther Strelow with MG 42, SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk (KIA.jpg
SS-Schütze Günther Strelow with MG 42, SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk (KIA.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
If you look West towards Bretteville-Norrey you will see where SS-Schütze Günther Strelow looked back at SS-KB Woscidlo as Woscidlo took his image one last time as they moved out.
View to Bretteville-Norrey west.jpg
View to Bretteville-Norrey west.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
Strelow's resting place at La Cambe
SS-Schütze Günther Strelow La Cambe.jpg

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Apr 2019, 20:29

I have which needs verification:

SS-Schütze Klaus Schuh

III.Zug der 15/SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.25

Geb. 10/03/1926 Rehlingen

KIA 26/06/1926 Cheux (Caen)

EKII 12.6.1944

Buried in La Cambe Kriegsgräberstätte, Unter der Unbekannten

Klaus Shuch is in the center of this image when he was awarded his EKII in the apple orchard at the Abbey D'Ardenne along with others.

From left to right SS-Schütze Sepp Bund, SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski, SS-Oberschütze Klaus Schuh and SS-Schütze Günther Hamel.
EKII award ceremony.jpg
Also killed in action with Klaus Schuh was Sepp Bund (KIA 26.06.1944 near Cheux)
Sepp Bund KIA 26.06.1944 near Cheux.jpg
The awards ceremony took place but afterwards was interrupted by mortar fire. Not only photographed by SS-KB but filmed as well and viewable in Deutsche Wochenshau.

SS-Schütze Gunter Hämel
Gunter Hämel3.jpg
SS-Schütze Gunter Hämel and SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski
SS-Schütze Gunter Hämel und SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski.jpg

eindhoven

Post by eindhoven » 15 Apr 2019, 21:14

Last. SS-Oberschütze Klaus Schuh and SS-Unterscharführer Peter Koslowski in the alley in Rots. This is not SS-Schütze Günther Hamel as has been misidentified and reposted incorrectly.
Exhausted Panzergrenadiers of SS-Hauptscharführer Wilhelm Boigk´s 3rd platoon.jpg
Sources; Bundesarchiv, SS-KB Woscidlo

potnoodle1978

Post by potnoodle1978 » 16 Apr 2019, 13:21

Awesome pictures, really appreciate the info.

eindhoven wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 19:57
PotNoodle1978

14980 Rots along the Route de Caen through Rots on the D613.

Rots 25th grendaiers.jpg

Rots N13 alley Boight Funk Shuh_1.jpg

ROTS N13 Panther 326.jpg

here in Rots on N13 is where Funk and the men gathered copy.jpg

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”