EK 7a of Sipo/SD and Wola Massacres/Warsaw Uprising

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
wolfguy

EK 7a of Sipo/SD and Wola Massacres/Warsaw Uprising

Post by wolfguy » 20 Sep 2019, 11:12

Hi Everyone

Can anyone clarify something for me.

Over the years we have been told that the mass killings of about 40,000 people in the Wola District during the Warsaw Uprising were mainly carried out by the Dirlewanger Battalion (or Regiment), however the book "Warschau Aufstand 1944" by Hans von Krannhals makes reference to killings carried out by a Gestapo unit led by SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Alfred Spilker and possibly Gestapo guards from Pawiak Prison and EK 7a, which I assume he means Sk 7a (EG B) which still existed until it was disbanded in November 1944. Sk 7a at that time was led by SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Gerhard Bast. Was SK 7a in Warsaw in August 1944?
It seems it would be since it had just retreated from Belorussia in the previous month.

Can anyone shed light on this?

The book "Warsaw 1944" by Alexandra Richie suggests that the Dirlewanger unit was ordered to advance rapidly towards its military objective of reaching the other side of Warsaw and therefore was to busy to round up civilians and shoot them in such large numbers in the rear of the front, which is what happened. I am aware however that an Azerbaijani unit was attached to Dirlewanger for the operation and perhaps these men were detailed to do the killings?

Wolfguy

wolfguy

Re: EK 7a of Sipo/SD and Wola Massacres/Warsaw Uprising

Post by wolfguy » 23 Sep 2019, 12:18

Hi Everyone

From the lack of response to the question I suspect that perhaps we cannot account for the whereabouts of Sonderkommando 7a during the Warsaw Uprising.

If no one can document the location of this unit from the time it withdrew from Belorussia in July 1944 until the time it disbanded in the Balkans in November 1944, its location and activity in August 1944 have to be clarified. Therefore,
it remains a candidate for the unit that committed the civilian atrocities in Warsaw.

Wolfguy

steve248

Post by steve248 » 23 Sep 2019, 19:05

Wolfguy
Lack of response sometimes takes longer to take place.
These are from notes I made looking at Bast's SSO sometime ago:
31 May 1944, SS-Stubaf Dr Bast posted from his post as Leiter, Stapostelle Linz, to Minsk to take over SK 7a in EG B (order signed by Kaltenbrunner)
3 Oct 1944 , RSHA I order SS-Stubaf RR Dr Bast “Unter Aufhebung ihrer Abordnung zur EG B warden folgende Angehörige des SK 7a zur EG H abgeordnet”, stationed at Rosenberg (Slovakia)

But where SK 7a was between these dates I don't know.

wolfguy

Post by wolfguy » 24 Sep 2019, 08:01

Hi steve248

Thank You.

We have a mystery of unknown whereabouts for Sk 7a for July- November 1944.

Wolfguy

Minotauros

Post by Minotauros » 24 Sep 2019, 09:43

Hi,

Sonderkommando 7a/Sonderkommando Bast (c.a. 80 men) under SS-Sturmbannführer und Regierungsrat Dr. iur. Gerhard BAST
was stationed from 31 VII 1944 in Radziejowice until October 1944.
In mid September 1944 BAST ordered the summary execution of about 20 civilians (not linked with any resistance movement) in Radziejowice.

Regards,

wolfguy

Post by wolfguy » 24 Sep 2019, 10:07

Hi Minotauros

Thanks for that very help info.
That location keeps Sk 7a on the suspect list, in my opinion, because the town Radziejowice is only 25 miles from Warsaw.

Also, Hanns von Krannhals's book names Sk7a (although I think he called it Ek 7a) as being in Wola district during the uprising.
I'm not sure what his source for that was but I doubt he would have made it up out of thin air, as that is a very specific unit.

Wolfguy

wolfguy

Post by wolfguy » 25 Sep 2019, 06:41

Hi Minotauros

I forgot to ask you, what is the source for the info on Sonderkommando 7a being in Radziejowice?

Thanks
Wolfguy

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 11 Feb 2022, 02:55

About Sonderkommando 7a being in Radziejowice informed prosecution report for the Reinefarth case in BAL.
There it also mentions the participation of SK 7a in mass shootings in Warsaw during the Wola Massacre (5-6 August) - probably in part referred to as Moczydlo, a Polish witness who managed to escape from the crime scene remembered the uniforms of the SS and drunk exterminators. This is mentioned in the post-war testimony for the Main Commission for the Investigation of Nazi Crimes.
Next place - Wola Massacre - after of extermination SK7a was Pfeiffer's tannery in yet another part of Wola - aprox to 5000 victims to the end of Sept.44.
Many years of research by the regionalist Marek Strok (parish books, registration books tenement houses in Wola and a thorough three-year daily query in the Bad Arolsen database) reduced the number of victims of the Wola Massacre to 15,000 civilians - as Krannhals estimates.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”