Research Help - Grandfather's information

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
khyrzton

Research Help - Grandfather's information

Post by khyrzton » 11 Nov 2019, 00:03

Hello,
I'll start with, I'm new, so sorry if this is not the appropriate section to make such a request. I am trying to find information about my grandfather such as his division, their tour of duty, if he changed divisions, and any data at all about his 5 years at war.
Rudolf Paul Kirsten born Nov 10, 1911, Engelsdorf, Leipzig, Sachsen.
I believe he joined the NSDAP in 1933 as security. At some point or perhaps throughout the whole war he was in an SS-Panzer division as a truck driver.
Fairly certain he participated in the invasions of Poland and France. Fairly certain he never saw time on the Eastern front vs the Russians. Ended the war in Austria surrendered to the Americans (noting I believe his division was in the East at that time. He left a military hospital on bicycle and headed East alone to find his unit, fortunately someone talked some sense into him and he ultimately turned around to surrender.
Attached image is 1936. Not sure if it would be relevant to see his uniform at that time. It was his wedding day so he was wearing the best and only suit he owned.
I would be tremendously grateful for any help or direction one could provide. Good or bad news welcome.
He survived the war, moved to Canada and lived a happy post war life into his late 90s.
It's his birthday today and remembrance day tomorrow so it seemed fitting to ask today.
Attachments
IMG_20191110_165442.jpg

khyrzton

Re: Research Help - Grandfather's information

Post by khyrzton » 29 Nov 2019, 02:04

Just bumping this in hopes some one can advise research options. I contacted the German Dienststelle and they have no info as he was SS.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 Nov 2019, 04:28

Do you know if he lived in Pleißa near Chemnitz in late 1930's ?

khyrzton

Post by khyrzton » 29 Nov 2019, 13:10

I am fairly certain that he was in Engelsdorf or Baalsdorf On the east side of Leipzig.

I will try to verify.

The Kirsten surname is most prevalent in Saxony.

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 29 Nov 2019, 17:09

You might try the International Red Cross as they might have some prisoner of war records that might help identify his former unit.
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

khyrzton

Post by khyrzton » 30 Nov 2019, 01:30

Thanks, looks like this may be an option.

https://www.icrc.org/en/document/reques ... -war-quota

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”