Information about Michael Wittman totenkopf ring

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Johnniedarko

Information about Michael Wittman totenkopf ring

Post by Johnniedarko » 27 Nov 2020 15:50

Hello!

I'm currently reading a book that states that Michael Wittman was awarded with the ss honor ring but it doesn't state the date he received it or provide any pictures, i tried to look it up online but i didn't find any reliable information, does anyone know the date he received the ring or has any pictures of him with ring? does some collector hold the ring or it just disappeared?

best regards

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Information about Michael Wittman totenkopf ring

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 28 Nov 2020 23:45

Hmm, well I would think ,if he did indeed have a ring, it was blown up all to crap and burned like he was during his last so called battle.and he was buried in the field that day.,and his remains since been reinterred,what wasleft of him. But wasnt he a Waffen -SS and NOT a SS??? Am posting this reply before doing any research about the ring issue and Waffen -SS comment ..went to a quick www on the guy and saw a list of awards, IC to KC .try our SS section here on AHF, they have some very smart guys who do lots of detailed research

Johnniedarko

Post by Johnniedarko » 30 Nov 2020 14:14

He joined the SS on 36 and was part of the Leibstandarte A.H, members of the Waffen-SS would also get the ring since many of the SS man went through the Waffen-SS with the war. For example Dietrich was a commander of se Waffen-SS and got a ring too.

I've seen a replica of the SS-Ehrenring award document online that has the date of 21.12.42 and this date coincides with him being promoted to SS-Untersturmführer, was he awarded the ring the same day he got the promotion?
can anyone one help out?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 30 Nov 2020 18:25

Hmm, After my above post I did some basic research on this Tanker and did indeed learn he was a SS member,but in all the www sites I visited nenever did find any reference to him beng awarded the ring..maybe if we went to a dedicated SS site for answers? Maybe WAF?

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 30 Nov 2020 19:20

The SS-DALs are no help in this instance, as the DALs ceased listing all SS officers with the 1938 edition and Wittmann didn't become an officer until 1942. During the war years the DALs were divided up into two series of editions -- one listing only the top ranks of SS-Obergruppenführer to SS-Standartenführer and the other listing only the ranks of SS-Obersturmbannführer and Sturmbannführer, and since the highest rank Wittmann held was SS-Hauptsturmführer, his rank was not included in any of those editions. Having said that, there was also one edition of the DAL of the WSS, dated 1 Juli 1944, which included the ranks of SS-Obergruppenführer to SS-Hauptsturmführer, but Wittmann is not listed in that edition either...??

Br. James

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 01 Dec 2020 13:15

Br. James wrote:
30 Nov 2020 19:20
The SS-DALs are no help in this instance, as the DALs ceased listing all SS officers with the 1938 edition and Wittmann didn't become an officer until 1942. During the war years the DALs were divided up into two series of editions -- one listing only the top ranks of SS-Obergruppenführer to SS-Standartenführer and the other listing only the ranks of SS-Obersturmbannführer and Sturmbannführer, and since the highest rank Wittmann held was SS-Hauptsturmführer, his rank was not included in any of those editions. Having said that, there was also one edition of the DAL of the WSS, dated 1 Juli 1944, which included the ranks of SS-Obergruppenführer to SS-Hauptsturmführer, but Wittmann is not listed in that edition either...??

Br. James
The Waffen-SS Dienstaltersliste did not record awards and did not include Wittmann.
Max.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”