The True Himmler

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Max Williams

Re: The True Himmler

Post by Max Williams » 28 Oct 2021, 15:02

VanillaNuns wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 20:41
I thought the anecdote about Lina Heydrich and the exploding matches was fantastic.

I can just imagine the scene with HH getting flustered and making a mental note to avoid her as much as possible!
This is a well documented incident described in nearly every book on Heydrich going back many years.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 28 Oct 2021, 15:44

VanillaNuns wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 20:41
I thought the anecdote about Lina Heydrich and the exploding matches was fantastic.

I can just imagine the scene with HH getting flustered and making a mental note to avoid her as much as possible!
What happened?
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 31 Oct 2021, 17:00

From the early history of the SD. Extract from "Reinhard Heydrich - Road to War" by Max Williams, 2001:
"...the daily routine of running the [SD] office continued. In the hall were two great coke burning stoves, providing heating for the house. It was the duty of the SD's factotum, i.e. Frau Heydrich, to light these stoves every morning. She stored the matches above one of the stoves. Every day, these matches had disappeared, resulting in Lina having to buy extra. The twenty-one year old housewife finally lost her patience and bought a box of joke exploding matches from the market in Munich, replacing the genuine ones on the shelf above the stove.
That same morning, Heydrich received a call from Himmler saying that ...[an important]... visit would take place that very day and, in fact, Röhm and Hess were already on their way. A quick tidying up ensued and Lina was ushered out to buy cigars for the exalted guests. It wasn't long before their car arrived and they were beginning their inspection. SD assistants were introduced to the men, followed by an explanation of the workings of the office. Lina patiently waited downstairs and provided the cigars and some port at the conclusion of the inspection tour. Secretary Josef Strohmeier took out his matches to offer a light for Röhm's cigar, when suddenly there was an almighty "bang"! Röhm turned white and Himmler looked for cover. These were turbulent times indeed. Lina quickly put their minds at rest with an explanation and all found the event amusing. The match thief had been uncovered..."
Max.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 31 Oct 2021, 21:35

Thanks Max. Have you read the Irving “True Himmer” book and if so what is your opinion on it?

Regards
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 01 Nov 2021, 11:23

Yes, I have read it.
Max.

Corax

Post by Corax » 03 Nov 2021, 20:12

I read it out of curiosity. I'm sorry to say I find it tedious. It has killed my interest in Himmler for a long time to come. The worst part is the extensive reliance on and preoccupation with Marga Himmler's diary as a way to shed light on Himmler's character. Using her diary is fair but not especially interesting. Most of the information in the book is recognizable from other sources/authors but not all of it. AH is a major topic in the book, at times I'm left with the impression the author wrote the book on Himmler to discuss AH and his part in the Holocaust vis a vis Himmler's part in the Holocaust.

Al_Smythe

Post by Al_Smythe » 04 Dec 2021, 17:27

J. Duncan wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 22:07
David Irving did post the text on his website (minus photo section but some pictures are in text) so anyone can view:

http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Himmler/TRUE-HIMMLER-pt1.pdf
Anyone have any idea when part 2 is coming out?

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Dec 2021, 17:49

At this rate, it may not happen. Irving is 83 and can go to bed tonight and not wake up. Might be a posthumous undertaking by a trusted friend, colleague, or outfit like Barnes Review. If not, then it will end up going into the trash bin (which I suspect would make a lot of people happy).
I hope he gets it done, but thus far have received 0 notification by email of its pending release.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 08 Dec 2021, 02:44

Received a form Xmas letter from Irving to those that bought the first book, stating the second volume is near completion and will be out soon.

Mark Costa

ostland

Post by ostland » 08 Dec 2021, 23:01

Didn’t get that letter yet, but looking forward to part 2!
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 09 Dec 2021, 00:19

I got the letter. It was a well written piece, detailing what he’s been up to in the year, struggles with finding lodgings, getting settled with help from his daughters. He was upbeat otherwise , says his health is ok and ready to keep on keeping on….I wish him well and hope he can hang on through 2022.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 05 Feb 2022, 21:33

I'm reading it now. Unique among all the many Himmler biographies in its reliance on so many primary sources- his own diaries, testimony of contemporaries, official reports from Allied and German sources. I look forward to seeing the second volume. I cautiously suspect this may be one of the most informative of them all... though I find the matter-of-fact description of Himmler's death as a murder troubling.

Edited to add as a disclaimer: It must not be forgotten that the author is an odious individual. The video clip at https://www.thedailybeast.com/we-caught ... -a-hot-mic makes that more than abundantly clear.

~ Mike

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 07 Feb 2022, 00:50

Michael Miller wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 21:33
Unique among all the many Himmler biographies in its reliance on so many primary sources- his own diaries, testimony of contemporaries, official reports from Allied and German sources.

~ Mike
Mike,
I find your statement somewhat misleading and factually incorrect. Both my and Steve Tyas' recent books on Himmler rely heavily on Himmler's diaries and original sources.
Max.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 07 Feb 2022, 02:58

You're right and I should clarify-- it relies heavily on his early (pre-Dienstkalender) diaries. I too relied a great deal on the Dienstkalender Heinrich Himmlers (1941-42) in my biographical sketch on Himmler. Let's just say Irving includes some different materials that have not, to my knowledge, been consulted before. He shares a lot of interesting material on the years leading up to Himmler's involvement with the NSDAP. And the book is by no means a substitute for earlier works; it merely complements them.

~ Mike

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 07 Feb 2022, 14:15

Michael Miller wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 02:58
You're right and I should clarify-- it relies heavily on his early (pre-Dienstkalender) diaries. I too relied a great deal on the Dienstkalender Heinrich Himmlers (1941-42) in my biographical sketch on Himmler. Let's just say Irving includes some different materials that have not, to my knowledge, been consulted before. He shares a lot of interesting material on the years leading up to Himmler's involvement with the NSDAP. And the book is by no means a substitute for earlier works; it merely complements them.

~ Mike
Mike,
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Steve's book was entirely based on the latter part of the war, and mine covered his life, utilising the same pre-Dienstkalender diaries and other original sources, in addition to published material.
Regards,
Max.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”