Info request on Waffen SS

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Info request on Waffen SS

Postby Siegfried Wilhelm » 30 Jun 2003 20:33

Looking for any record of a Hans Siegel, SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer who I believe may have been a Battalionfuhrer in the Ardennes offensive; and a Zimmermann who may have been a Kompaniefuhrer at the same time, perhaps with the 12th SS Panzer Div. I believe these two men served together then.
Could anyone tell me what unit they were with then and the names of any other officers they commanded at that time.
I appreciate any information, however sketchy. Thanks!

SW~

Georg_S

Postby Georg_S » 01 Jul 2003 09:14

Hi
Hans Siegel was at the time of the war SS-Sturmbannführer
I strongly recomend you to buy Hans Günther Krätschmers book:
"Die Ritterkeuzträger der Waffen-SS" there you can read the most about Hans Siegel.

Regards,

Georg

Requin Marteau

Postby Requin Marteau » 01 Jul 2003 09:46

Bonjour,
Doc....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thomas

Postby thomas » 01 Jul 2003 10:02

Dear Requin

Nice document !!!
Is that a private paper of Siegel or was it a official paper ???

Grettings

thomas

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Postby Siegfried Wilhelm » 01 Jul 2003 13:25

Thanks for the information. Actually what I'm looking for is the names of any and all officers who served under him at the Ardennes. What about the man named Zimmermann? I don't know anything about him except that apparently he was quite a tank killer.
Any information on him at that time? Any other officers from there and then? I know this is a somewhat strange request.

Thank you again,
SW~

Wolfkin

Postby Wolfkin » 05 Aug 2003 00:08

Hello Siegfried!

Actually I do not believe that Hans Siegel participated in the Ardennes Offensive. Here is some information as to why I think this.

Hauptsturmfuhrer Hans Siegel was the Kompaniechef of the 8th Panzer Kompanie of the 12th SS Panzer Regiment during Normandy. He took command of the II Abteilung of the 12th SS Panzer Regiment in November of 1944. He was promoted Sturmbannfuhrer in April of 1945.

The 12th SS Panzer Division's 12th SS Panzer Regiment participated in the Ardennes with only one Panzer Abteilung, the I Abteilung, under Sturmbannfuhrer Arnold Jurgensen. Obersturmfuhrer Rudolf von Ribbentrop then took over after Jurgensen was killed. Ribbentrop was promoted to Hauptsturmfuhrer on January 30, 1945.

During the Ardennes the Regiment was reorganized and the II Abteilung with the 2, 4, 7 & 8 Kompanie were left behind at troop training grounds. The Regiment went into battle with only the I Abteilung, under Arnold Jurgensen, with the 1, 3, 5 & 6 Kompanie. When Jurgensen was killed Rudolf von Ribbentrop took over the Abteilung. The commander of the Regiment was Herbert Kuhlmann.

So, in the Ardennes, it was the I Abteilung with the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th Kompanie. The II Abteilung with the 2nd, 4th, 7th and 8th Kompanie had stayed behind at troop training grounds. It was not until the campaign in Hungary that the men of the II Abteiling rejoined the 12th SS Panzer Regiment. In Hungary, the II Abteilung operated the Panzer and the I Abteilung operated as infantry.

I cannot help with Zimmermann, as I have never heard of such a man. I could find more if I had a first name and a rank.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Wolfkin

Postby Wolfkin » 14 Aug 2003 02:55

Hello!

I found a Zimmermann, I do not know if this is the one that you are looking for but it is the only one that I can find.

There was a Hauptsturmfuhrer Herbert Zimmermann in Das Reich. For a time during 1943 he commanded the Tiger Kompanie in Das Reich. He might have tranferred to sSSPzAbt 102 when the Tiger Kompanie of Das Reich was sent to that Abteilung but I am unsure of this.

Either way, if this is the Zimmermann it is unlikely that Siegel and him served together as they were in entirely different units.

I am sorry, I do not have much more on this fellow. Perhaps someone else might?

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Wolfkin

Postby Wolfkin » 28 Aug 2003 23:38

You are very welcome, Siegfried! :roll: :? :P

Just kidding y'all! Guess y'all haven't seen this yet. :wink: :D

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Postby Tolga Alkan » 29 Aug 2003 10:08

Hans Siegel's photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikedc

Postby Mikedc » 08 Aug 2005 17:01

Hello SW,

I agree with Wolfkin, should be H. Zimmermann. I have alot of Zimmermann's in my files but none of them served with
the 12. SS-Panzer-Division 'HJ'. The only one that's coming close is H. Zimmermann.
Herbert Zimmermann.
Member of the SS.
SS-Hauptsturmführer.
On 10-4-1943 he became commander(succeeded F. Herzig)from 8.(schwere)Kompanie with the II. Battalion
from SS-Panzer-Regiment 2 with the SS-Panzergrenadier-Division ‘Das Reich’.
On 11-6-1943 he got wounded at one of his arms and he was released from his command as
Kompanie-commander.
Later on he became Kompanie-commander in the schwere SS-Panzer-Abeilung 102.

Greetings,
Mike

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”