Grenzpolizei vs Zollgrenzschutz vs Zoll

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Checkist

Grenzpolizei vs Zollgrenzschutz vs Zoll

Post by Checkist » 11 Jul 2021, 09:26

I am a little confused with how the Third Reich guarded their borders. From the scant amount of information available online, I surmise the Grenzpolizei were police officials at the land ports of entry who examined papers of anyone wanting to enter or leave Germany or its territories. They seem to have reported directly to the local Gestapo field post. Were Grenzpolizei officials in uniform or plain clothes?

The Zollgrenzschutz appear to be more like soldiers assigned to watch the border fence and capture anyone who looked suspicious. If members of the Zollgrenzschutz captured a suspect did they turn him over to the Grenzpolizei or directly to the Gestapo?

Also does anyone know how members of the Zollgrenzschutz and Grenzpolizei interacted with officers of the Customs Service (Zoll), who most likely inspected cargo for taxation purposes. Hitler always seemed to like bureaucrats to fight each other for turf in his Reich.

Finally can anyone recommend book or article in English that explains Third Reich border security.

Sid Guttridge

Re: Grenzpolizei vs Zollgrenzschutz vs Zoll

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Jul 2021, 14:32

Several years ago I found a very good site online with a detailed order of battle for these units during the war. If I remember correctly, it was part of a general history of German frontier guards.

I can't find it immediately, but will get back to you if I do.

Sid.

Puck

Post by Puck » 11 Jul 2021, 15:03

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Jul 2021, 15:22

Hi Puck,

Yes, that's the one. Many thanks.

This is a superb site on an obscure subject and deserves to be better known.

In appreciation,

Sid.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 14 Jul 2021, 19:38

thanks a lot Puck,
a very interesting site which cover very well France as well annexed Lothringen
Best regards

Georges

zollgrenzschutz

Post by zollgrenzschutz » 15 Sep 2021, 21:23

Hi all,
first of thanks for the very nice comments about my website.

The Zollgrenzschutz belonged to the ministry of finance and had to protect the border against smuggle and illegal crossing, furthermore they had to observe the area. During the war, the ZGS continued with that, but soon became part of the military defence, fought against partisans and so on.

The Grenzpolizei belonged to the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (SS) and controlled passports at border posts.

That's only a short summary, but if you like to know more, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Marc

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 19 Sep 2021, 23:12

The SS first became involved in border protection in July 1933 when the Higa-Hilfsgrenzangestellte was created and operating in those SS-Oberabschnitte containing borders with foreign countries. In December 1935, the Reichs Finance Ministry agreed that the Gestapo was responsible for the political control of the borders of Germany. These new SS units morphed into the SS-Grenzüberwachung which became the Grenzpolizei.

In addition to the uniformed officials of the RFV and the Grenzpolizei, there were plainclothes security forces of the RFV called the Zoll Fahndungdienst (ZFD) officials of which were issued Dienstmarken like those agents of the RSHA. Even before the war and as the war progressed, the ZFD was ordered to work in cooperation with the RSHA.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 20 Sep 2021, 17:41

The ZGS was incorporated into the RSHA by Führerbefehl and on Aug. 20, 1944 SS-Of. and Oberst d. Polizei Otto Somann was appointed Inspekteur d. Zollgrenzschutz.

zollgrenzschutz

Post by zollgrenzschutz » 10 Sep 2023, 18:07

We need to differentiate a bit. Himmler tried to get his hands on the border protection quite soon. In order to strengthen it and to gain political control of the (at the end) public administration, the SS and SA-Higa were brought into service. On the one hand, the ministry of fiance war more or less forced to incorporate them, on the other hand at least some people within the ministry were quite open to that. Nevertheless those higa were no separate or parallel organisation, they worked under the control of the ministry. During the following years, several programmes were released to incorporate more men with SA and SS background to the border protection. Some more background on my website; https://www.zollgrenzschutz.de/index.ph ... id=60#sass

Zollgrenzschutz was used since March 1937 only, before it was just Grenzaufsichtsdienst or Zollgrenzdienst. Correct, the RSHA took over in summer 1944 and retransferrred it to the ministry at the beginning of May 1945.
KR,
Marc

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”