SS-Hauptsturmführer Heinz Murr, SS-Pz. Div. "Wiking"

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
DougENash

SS-Hauptsturmführer Heinz Murr, SS-Pz. Div. "Wiking"

Post by DougENash » 13 Jul 2021, 14:17

Hello,

I am trying to establish the physical whereabouts of SS-Hauptsturmführer Heinz Murr between January and May 1944. On paper, he was assigned to the 10th Company, SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 9 "Germania," (I have his service record, but it has gaps). Now, 10th Company was part of the III. Bataillon; between the period in question the battalion was at Mailley-Le-Camp training area in France between January and mid-March 1944; after that it fought at Kovel from Mid-March 1944 until the the end of May.

Murr was not with the battalion between mid-March and mid-May 1944; I do not know where he was, physically that is. Here's the weird part, and what drives my question. A Verlustliste (combat casualty list) for III./Germania indicates that Murr was wounded at some point during the month of February 1944 (see attached). But - the battalion was in France, and not in combat. The Wiking Division was though, and in January - February 1944 was in the Cherkassy Pocket. So how did Murr get WIA in February 1944 if his battalion was in a troop training area in France? (he could have been wounded while hunting partisans though).

I'm thinking that perhaps Murr had volunteered to be flown into the Cherkassy Pocket when Gille asked for reinforcements at the beginning of February 1944; or, if not that, then Murr was "seconded" to a troop training school such as Kienschlag where he performed temporary duty as an instructor; or, he had been temporarily attached to the staff of a newly-forming SS corps or division, and once that duty was completed, he returned to his unit by the end of May 1944 or by the end of July at the latest.

Anyone have any additional information on Murr that might shed light on this mystery?
Thanks in advance ---
Attachments
Murr, Heinz - 15.jpg
Heinz Murr.jpg
Heinz Murr.jpg (3.27 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Heinz Murr 2.jpg

DougENash

Re: SS Hauptsturmfuehrer Heinz MURR WIKING DIVISION

Post by DougENash » 13 Jul 2021, 14:57

Any collectors out there who might have some documents related to him that they might be willing to share with me via PM?

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”