Emil Maurice

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
cptstennes

Emil Maurice

Post by cptstennes » 18 Jun 2002, 20:57

So far as I know, Maurice, Hitler's driver, was promoted SS Brigadefuhrer and survived the war. Despite being a Jew and being dismissed. Why? Regards, F.

Schmauser

Emil Maurice

Post by Schmauser » 18 Jun 2002, 22:10

Are you sure that Maurice was Jewish? I know he was of French origin, and
i heard there were rumors, even seen a picture of him, he does look Jewish, but nothing was ever proven, or was it?

~Regards Schmauser

cptstennes

Emil Maurice

Post by cptstennes » 18 Jun 2002, 22:49

Absolutely. Jewish. Bormann got him retired. But he retained his rank and even was promoted. The only Jew I know of who was an SS Brigadefuhrer. I do not think that he was even a Mischling. Go figure. Regards, F.

Schmauser

Madness

Post by Schmauser » 18 Jun 2002, 22:52

How the hell could he be in the SS? do you know anymore about him, i mean what did he think about his own people being exterminated by an organisation that he was a member of?

~Regards Schmauser

cptstennes

Emil Maurice

Post by cptstennes » 18 Jun 2002, 23:42

Sure, look him up on the web. You can see him in Landsberg looking over Hitler's shoulder. He was cast out of the SS in the thirties but ended the war as a Brigadefuhrer in the SS. He was protected by Hitler. Everyone has his pet Jew, even Hitler. No kidding. He survived the war. Take a look. It does not take a racist to see he is no Aryan. Even his name is suspect. Hitler was a personalist. He did not have Maurice killed. Nor even degraded in rank. In fact, he was promoted. Go figure. Bormann was the one who found out. In my memory. Regards, F.

thomas

Maurice

Post by thomas » 19 Jun 2002, 09:29

Dear F.

I am also very surprised that a jewish has a high rank like Maurice. If you have i would have some more informations about him:

Was this Emil Maurice, NSDAP-Nr. 39 and SS-Nr. 2. If it is this one, when he was promotoed to Brigadeführer. In the SS-DAL 9.44 and 42 he was still SS-Oberführer.

Best regards

thomas

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 19 Jun 2002, 12:01

Very interesting.Was driver in rank of SS-Oberführer?Or was he adjuant of Hitler?

Schmauser

Post by Schmauser » 19 Jun 2002, 12:25

He was Hitler's driver at some stage, but Hitler had many drivers, Sepp Dietrich, Julius Schreck, Erich Kempka etc. I've only ever found him to be an SS Oberführer and towards the end of the war he was head of the SS Landeshandwerksmeister (Craftsmen Organisation).

~Regards Schmauser

Peter J. Hertel

Post by Peter J. Hertel » 19 Jun 2002, 18:07

When the NSDAP as a whole was re-founded, in February 1925, Hitler's bodyguard, the Stabswache (Staff Guard) was revived, numbering eight men including Maurice and Erhard Heiden, now led by Julius Schreck, who previously replaced Maurice as Hitler's driver.

In the spring of 1935 Emil Maurice became the subject of a dispute between Hitler and Himmler. Before Maurice could marry on 11 May 1935, he had to submit to the SS-Race and Settlement Head Office proof of his bride’s as well as of his own pure ‘German—blood descent.’ What could not, must not, be true could no longer be hidden from Himmler, Hitler’s Supreme Puritan in ‘racial’ and other matters: one of the oldest fighters for the cause, Party member No. 594 (the count began with 501), a member from 1919, SS member No. 2, Hitler’s bodyguard and ‘permanent companion’ for many years, had Jewish ancestry. When Himmler found out he demanded he demanded his expulsion from the SS, but Hitler wouldn’t hear of it, so Himmler was forced to put the Führer’s decision in writing:

The Reichsführer SS Münich, 31 August 1935

Official Minute

1. SS-Standartenführer Emil Maurice is without doubt, according to his family tree, not of Aryan descent.
2. On the occasion of SS-Standartenführer Maurice’s marriage when he had to submit the family tree, I reported to the Führer my position to the effect that Maurice must be removed from the ranks of the SS.

3. The Führer has decided that in this one and only exceptional case Maurice as well as his brothers could remain in the SS, because Maurice had been his very first companion, and because his brothers and the entire family Maurice had served the Movement with rare bravery and loyalty in the first and most difficult months and years.

4. I decree that Maurice must not be entered in the SS Clan Book, and that none of the descendants of the Maurice family may be admitted into the SS.

5. The Chief of the Race and Settlement Head Office receives a copy of this Minute with the request of most strictly confidential treatment; only the Chief of the Clan Office is to be informed.

6. For myself and for all successors as Reichsführer SS I state that only Adolf Hitler himself had and has the right also for the SS to decree an exception with regard to blood. No Reichsführer SS has or will have for all future time the right to allow exceptions from the requirements of the SS regarding blood.

7. I oblige all my successors to maintain most strictly the position laid down in point 6.

1. Two copies to the Chief of the Race and Settlement Head Office
a. one closed and sealed for Maurice’s marriage file.
b. one for the information of the Chief of the Clan Office.

Maurice remained banned from the inner circle around Hitler, but he enjoyed his Führer’s protection to the very end of the Nazi era. No disciplinary action was taken against him when he knocked down an old man in September 1935 who had unwittingly blocked the road for Maurice’s car with his bicycle; for Christmas of the same year, Himmler sent Maurice a present regarded as an honour in the SS (an SS candleholder). Maurice was promoted on 30 January 1939 to Ss-Oberführer; he operated a watch store; he was a member of the Reichstag; he was vice-president of regional chambers of commerce and trade; from January 1940 to October 1942 he served in the Luftwaffe as an officer. After the war, he got off relatively easily, considering the atmosphere of revenge the prevalent; a de-Nazification court sentenced him to four years hard labour.

Regards,

Peter J. Hertel

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 19 Jun 2002, 19:58

Peter, do you have the reference stats for the Himmler document about Maurice?

Also, Does anyone have any photos of Emil Maurice they can post here?

Thanks.

MaPen

Post by MaPen » 19 Jun 2002, 22:00

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 19 Jun 2002, 22:05

sylvieK4 wrote: Also, Does anyone have any photos of Emil Maurice they can post here?
Thanks.
Considering his significance as witnessed by the information in the above posts, I'm surprised how seldom he is mentioned, he doesn't even have an entry in Zentner and Bedurftig's Encyclopedia [sic] of the Third Reich

There's mention of a photo on http://www.geniebusters.org/915/35a_ilsa.html in the New York Review of Books' review of Lothar Machtan's The Hidden Hitler:
But I have just read a review of the book by Gordon A. Craig in The New York Review of Books (issue of February 28 ). On page 24 there is a picture of Hitler and his friend Emil Maurice. If there was ever a picture that was truly worth 10,000 words, this is it. When you look at that picture, it jumps out at you: obviously these two are gay. I didn't spend two years in San Francisco for nothing. I know that look.
[That's the Web site author quoted, not the NYRB :) ]

Anybody have a copy they can scan?

Also, from the web...
Attachments
maurizel[1].jpg
http://www.8ung.at/xeno/Historisches/Geli_Raubal/body_geli_r
maurizel[1].jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 6627 times
trial-01[1].jpg
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler
trial-01[1].jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 6628 times

cptstennes

Maurice

Post by cptstennes » 19 Jun 2002, 23:00

I think that I touched a nerve here. And that is good. But don't read too much into a picture. Maurice may have been gay but the Fuhrer and with a Jew? Or a crypto-Jew? You tell me. Of course, Landsberg was a prison. Sort of. One more thing, tell me how anyone could think that Maurice was an Aryan? Regards, F.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”