SS-Brigadeführer Jürgen Wagner

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Seyffardt

SS-Brigadeführer Jürgen Wagner

Post by Seyffardt » 29 Dec 2003, 14:42

Hi all,

I like to have some specified info on Jürgen Wagner, Kdr. SS-Div. "Nederland", who surrendered mai 4th 1945 to US troops.
How did he get in Yugoslavian hands after the war and what exactly has he been accused of, beeing executed in 1947? Is there anyone who has some details?
I also would like to see some pictures of him. I do have some but they are low quality scans.

Regards,
Seyffardt

PK

wagner

Post by PK » 29 Dec 2003, 15:03

Jurgen Wagner was accused for crimes while in charge of SS-Infanterie Regiment 11 as part of the Reich division during the occupation of Yugoslavia in 1941.

/PK

Seyffardt

Jürgen Wagner

Post by Seyffardt » 29 Dec 2003, 15:19

Thanks, but are you sure about this?

I thought Wagner started his carreer with the LAH , shortly served in the Rgt. Deutschland in '39, then became Kdr. of the Rgt. Germania until he was transferred into command of the Brigade Nederland in 1943. This unit was in Yugoslavia for a few months, before going into action near Oranienbaum.
If your info is correct, Wagner should have been in Yugoslavia twice, am I right?

Regards,
Seyffardt

PK

Wagner

Post by PK » 29 Dec 2003, 15:54

Hi Seyffardt,

Wagner served with LAH from 33 - 39, then Rgt "Deutschland" and SS-Rgt. 11 in SS-Divison "Reich" until may 1942. Then he became Kdr. of SS-Rgt. "Germania", he held this position to October 1943 when he became Kdr of 4. SS-Frw.Pz.Brigade "Nederland". And yes, it seems so that he was in Yugoslavia twice.

Regards
/PK

Seyffardt

Jürgen Wagner

Post by Seyffardt » 29 Dec 2003, 17:56

Thank you very much :D Best wishes,

Seyffardt

VJK

Post by VJK » 10 Jan 2004, 13:18

Hi Seyffardt !
I just came across this fine portrait of J. Wagner.
Regards,
VJK
Attachments
Wagner J.jpg
Wagner J.jpg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

Seyffardt

Jürgen Wagner

Post by Seyffardt » 10 Jan 2004, 13:23

This is a beautiful photo. Thank you very much!
Regards,
Seyffardt :)

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 10 Jan 2004, 15:04

That is a superb photo my friend, are there any others where that came from ? Hans Dorr perhaps ? (not the usual photos)
Cheers
Peter

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 10 Jan 2004, 15:48

Hallo,

Wagner with the Nederland and other parts of SS-Division Nordland was in former Yugoslawia during 1943. It was when the III. (Germanische) SS-Pz.Korps was raised. During the training elements of the Nordland and Nederland was send soldiers for searching partisans and fight against them. That was some of the reasons Wagner was charged with Warcrimes from the Serbian authorities. But I have heard several times that the family of Wagner have tried after the war, that his name would be cleared from Warcrimes.
He was handed over by the US after the war (end may) it´s a lot of photos when Wagner is standing with other soldeirs from Nederland talking to US troops.

mfg.
Georg

General

Re: Jürgen Wagner

Post by General » 10 Jan 2004, 23:31

Seyffardt wrote:Hi all,
How did he get in Yugoslavian hands after the war...
He was captured by the Americans and handed over to the Britisch, who sended him to Yugoslavia.
Did you read Perry Pierik's book?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 17 Nov 2017, 06:07

I've noticed that Jürgen Wagner's indictment and reasons for his execution aren't really known today, at least not online. First of all, he was not charged (at least not primarily) for his actions while he commanded the "Nederland" Brigade during its formation in Croatia in 1943. He was charged for his (today forgotten) involvement in war crimes committed right after the very invasion of Yugoslavia, in April 1941, while he was a short-term city commander in the Banat capital, Petrovgrad (Zrenjanin) - which is also why he was tried and executed (by firing squad) in that city. At the time, Wagner was an SS-Ostubaf. and commander of the II Batl./ SS-Regt. "Deutschland"/ SS-Div. "Reich".

These were the main reasons Wagner was tried and executed (a quote from the 1987 book "Zrenjaninske vatre" by Đ. Momčilović; the text was originally published in the "Slobodna Vojvodina" newspapers in 1947):
The accused SS Major General of the German Army Jürgen Wagner, a hardcore Nazi and a former SS-Brigadeführer, entered the Banat with his troops on the first day after the Yugoslav collapse in 1941. He immediately gave orders for the execution of the population, without thinking for one moment that he would ever be held responsible for his criminal actions. The mass graves in Alibunar and Petrovgrad confirm his involvement in these, up until then unheard of, crimes in the Banat.
Wagner was also heavily involved in the persecution of the local Jews (who were all soon exterminated - not by him though - he "only" rounded them up and placed in a camp until their extermination), from day one, and he actually ordered the destruction of the huge city synagogue from 1896 (the building was completely disassembled, brick by brick, and the building material, the same as everything valuable inside the temple, was then "confiscated" by the Germans). Note: Jürgen Wagner was the Petrovgrad commander for only two weeks! ...but two really "busy weeks".

Ivan

The Petrovgrad Synagogue before and after the arrival of Jürgen Wagner:
PetrSin.jpg
[/size]
One of Jürgen Wagner's men with imprisoned Petrovgrad Jews, right after the invasion:
petrwss2.jpg
petrwss2.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
[/size]
Photo sources: 1) "Zrenjaninske vatre", Đ. Momčilović 2) partially published in Momčilović's book, original in the Archives of Yugoslavia; unit ID: Ivan Ž.
Text sources: Momčilović, Đorđe: "Zrenjaninske vatre" (SUBNOR, Zrenjanin, 1987); Njegovan, Drago: Zločini okupatora i njihovih pomagača u Vojvodini (Prometej, N. Sad, 2009–2012); Kovač, Teodor: "Banatski Nemci i Jevreji" (article; Lamed, Aug. 2009); Lexikon der Wehrmacht [Wagner, Jürgen]; NARA, 2. SS-Pz.-Div. "Das Reich".

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 17 Nov 2017, 11:00

In Volume II of Lehmann's divisional history of the LSSAH he states that Wagner was 'The leader of the Stab in charge of new units' in Sennelager. This was in February/March 1942. Does anyone have any further details on this as it's not mentioned in the thread.

George_W

Post by George_W » 18 Nov 2017, 12:02

According to my info Wagner was extradited to Yugoslavia by the British probably in February 1947.

George

Pena V

Post by Pena V » 18 Nov 2017, 18:48

Wagner was WIA as the CO of SS-Infanterie-Regiment "Deutschland" on 22 November 1941. He returned to duty in the end of February 1942 as the CO of the Aufstellungsstab of "LSSAH". He was the CO there at least to the start of June 1942 and was then transferred to "Wiking" where he became the CO of SS-Infanterie-Regiment "Germania" on 15 June 1942.

Pena V

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 18 Nov 2017, 20:10

Thanks Pena V. What's the source of that ?

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”