1/1st SS Panzer Regiment Leibstandarte-Poetschke or Kremser?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Wolfkin

1/1st SS Panzer Regiment Leibstandarte-Poetschke or Kremser?

Post by Wolfkin » 25 Jun 2002, 02:37

I am wondering about the 1st Company of the 1st SS Panzer Regiment Leibstandarte during Normandy. One source says that it was commanded by Hauptsturmfuhrer Werner Poetschke during Normandy. Another source says that it was commanded by Obersturmfuhrer Kremser during Normandy.

I am wondering, did Poetschke command the 1st company, then get wounded and then Kremser command it? Did something like this happen?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!!

Wolfkin

Timo

Post by Timo » 25 Jun 2002, 03:00

Hey Jon,

Your close to the truth but it wasn't Pötschke who was wounded.

Actually, Herbert Kuhlmann acted as Regimental commander of SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 since Jochen Peiper suffered from a nervous breakdown after an allied bomber attack on his Panzers near the village of St. Barthelemy on 07.08.1944 (offical version says he suffered from a heart attack) and went on sick leave. Werner Pötschke took over from Kuhlmann as Kommandeur of the I. Abteilung and Karl Kremser became Chef 1./SS-Pz.Rgt. 1 (before that he was one of the Zugführer in 1.Komp.)
20.08.1944 Herbert Kuhlmann was wounded and Werner Pötschke took over as Regimental commander. How's that for quick promotion!

Cheers,
Timo

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 25 Jun 2002, 03:45

So that's what happened!

Thanks Timo! I was wondering about all that.

Interesting too, about Peiper!

Wolfkin

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”