Rev.Oberwm. d. Schutzpol. Franz Gralla (Bandenkämpfer)

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Ernst-H

Rev.Oberwm. d. Schutzpol. Franz Gralla (Bandenkämpfer)

Post by Ernst-H » 02 Feb 2004, 14:07

I have new in my collection a personell file of Franz Gralla.
In it are also his Polizei Dienstpaß and Polizei Dienstausweis.

Gralla has been active in Warsaw (nov.1942-jan.1943). After that he was with SS-Polizei schutzenregiment 35 and was involved in a number of Bandenkampf campaigns (alas not enough to earn the APB). Also was with the Kampfgruppe Prützmann.

Born 19.9.1912 in Klausberg
Entered the Schupo März.1940. Promoted to Oberwachtmeister d. Schupo Nov.1942. Promoted to Rev.Oberwm d. Schupo Nov.1943

There is lots of information in his files (which I still have to work through) but I would appreciate any bit of information (however tiny it might be) that anyone can help me find.

thanks in advance
Ernst
http://www.germanpolice.org
Attachments
Gralla.jpg
Gralla.jpg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 2520 times

Rainer Schmitz

Post by Rainer Schmitz » 21 Feb 2006, 00:53

hello Ernst,

my father Wilhelm Schmitz, born 09.09.1914 in Weeze, was may 43 to april 44 oberwachtmeister in Polizei-Schützen-Regimenter 35 / II. or III. Bataillon,
later with Kampfgruppe Prützmann. I have some names of policeofficers of that unit.

what kind of informations you are searching for ?

I have started research for acitivities of Polizei-Schützen-Regimenter 35 1943/44 in Poland/Ukraine, 'Bandeneinsatz in den Pripjetsümpfen'.
In hisorical literature conserned german police in ww2 there isn't anything known yet about Polizei-Schützen-Regimenter 35, a bit more
about Kampfgruppe Prütmann.

What's the contents of your files ? Reports or details about the 43/44 ?

Please give me a note

Rainer Schmitz

Ernst-H

Post by Ernst-H » 01 Mar 2006, 01:17

Hello Rainer,
thank you for your reply. Your father was in the same regiment but in a different bataillon.

Franz Gralla was in 7./Pol.Schtz.Rgt.35 from 23/7/1943 till 21/4/1944.

I have the following details about his deployment while in Rgt.35:
30.8.43 > Feuerüberfall bei Kremleser(?) (Ukraine)
21.9.43-10.12.43 > Sicherung Mittelbahn und Kämpfe mit Banden im Raume Rokitno-Olewsk (Unterstell der Feldkommandantur 28C)
4.3.44-26-3-44 > Winterschlacht u. Abwehrkampfe im Gebiet Südl. der Pripjet sümpfe (Kampfgruppe Prützmann)

He has registered 5 days Bandenkampf (stamps name unit as II.Pol.-Schtz.-Rgt.35 (Same unit as your father?) but no mention of this btl in his Polizeidienst listing) Dates fall into above timeline.
Names of places mentioned are: Wyzgrodek; Sarny; Stutzp.556b (2days) and Rokitno

Above details from his Dienstpass. Details are repeated in his file.

His file seems to be his record on file at some police adminstration office. It contains copies of presumably all documents handed to Gralla. Also handwritten papers and personal information. never counted the number of sheets but file is 10mm-15mm thick.

April 1944 he was to be transferred to Pol.-Schützen-Rgt 10.
I later find in the files (allthough not chronologically stored) a note from the Polizei Abwicklungsstelle of Pol.Schtz.Rgt.35 that a number of documents were sent to his hometown of Sosnowitz. There they are recorded as having been recieved and processed. Dates are in October 1944.

I have not found anything further on his deployment in Pol.Schtz.Rgt.10. At least nothing was passed on to Sosnowitz

I am looking for some more info like what his unit did in this timeperiod, who the commanding officers were, what was his unit like (size, composition,..)....if possible photographs of his unit in this timeperiod.....

Rainer Schmitz

Post by Rainer Schmitz » 11 Mar 2006, 13:57

Hello Ernst.

thanks for your answer.

I was rather suprised to hear, that Franz Gralla was in 7./Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35,
because I have never hear or read about the existence of an 7. Bataillon of Pol.Schtz.Rgt.35.

In literature concerning German Police in WW2 it is never mentioned:
In Neufeldt/Huck/Tessin: Zur Geschichte der Ordnungspolizei 1936-1945 , 1957
the unit Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35 is described in the follwing way:

" Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35 * 21.4.1943; I. < I/SS-Pol.Rgt.24;
II. u. III * 14.5.1943. HSTOrt Litzmannstadt.
Einsatz im Osten (Ukraine ?); aufgelöst April 1944; Abw. in Litzmannstadt
FP Stab: 56 940; I: 03 963; II.: 59 701; III.: 58 422." Teil II, Page 94

Almost 50 years later same result in
Stefan Klemp, 'Nicht ermittelt' Polizeibattaillone und die Nachkriegsjustiz. Ein Handbuch, Essen 2005

" Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35Polizeibataillone: I.: III/SS-Pol.Rgt.24: II. und III. 14.5.43
Heimatstandort: Litzmannstadt, Kdr. Martin Valtin, Oberstlt.
Einsätze: Aufstellung 21.4.43, Osten (Ukraine?); Aufgel. April 1944; Abw. Litzmannstadt" Page 458

I. Bataillon of the Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35 was the former III. Bataillon of SS-Pol.Rgt 24,
II. und III. Bataillon were new, filled up with a smaller part of german police,
the rest were uhrainian 'hilfswillige'.

In WWW you find under 'Zur Geschichte der Ordnungspolizei' the following entries:
"Auf Grund des Erlasses des RFSS und Chef des Deutschen Polizei vom 29.März 1943 erfolgte die Aufstellung sogenannter
"Polizei-Schützen-Regimenter". Dazu wurden die I.Bataillone dieser Regimenter aus bestehenden PolRgter genommen,
die II. und III. Bataillone aus angeworbenen fremdvölkischen Männern, zu denen je etwa 130 deutsche Offiziere, Unterführer
und Mannschaften traten, gebildet.Diese PolSchtzRgter erhielten nicht den Zusatz "SS".
Zu den zunächst aufgestellten Regimentern 31-35 traten später die Rgter 36-38 (s.u.).
Insgesamt existierten 30 SS-Polizei-Regimenter und 10 fremdländische "Polizei-Schützen-Regimenter."

In files of my father I found the following statement:

"Ab 16.5.1942 wurde ich zum neuaufgestellten Pol.-Schützen-Regiment 35 nach Litzmannstadt versetzt.
Die Mannschaften bestanden aus ukrainischen Hilfswilligen und nur die Führer und Unterführer waren Polizeibeamte.
Mit diesem Regt. Wurde ich zunächst im Bandeneinsatz in den Pripjetsümpfen eingesetzt. Nach dem Ausscheiden der
Ukrainer, die immer mehr zu einem Sicherheitsrisiko wurden, wurde der Rest des Rgt. mit anderen Resten und Einheiten
zu einer neuen Einheit zusammengefügt. Irgendwann hieß dieses neue Einheit dann „Kampfgruppe Prützmann“. 18.7.1975

Maybe you can check your informations about the 7.Bataillon of Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 35.
Please send me annote about your results.

Rainer Schmitz
email: [email protected]

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”