Police & Border Guard Regiments

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Police & Border Guard Regiments

Post by Andy H » 19 Mar 2002, 21:37

On a previous post I was looking for various bit's of info concerning Division zBv 300.

One of the questions was " What if any is the difference if any between a Police Regiment and a Border Guard Regiment" in relation to Estonian units in particular. Have they a different OoB, TOE, or role?

Hi Ho Silver Away :D

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 20 Mar 2002, 08:06

In the book Germany´s Eastern Front Allies (2) Baltic Forces by C Caballero Jurado och N Thomas (Osprey Men at Arms No. 363) there is a little information. When the Red Army approched the borders of Estonia the Civil Administration of that country declared general mobilisation on 30 January 1944. With the mobilised personel six Estonian Frontier Guard Regiments and a Depot Regiment was formed. They all had 2 800 men in three battalions but was poorly trained and armed.

Technically they was part of the German Police but wore Army Uniforms and was under Tactical Command of the Army. In May 1944 the Regiments was renamed SS Frontier Guard Regiments (Police). Regiments No. 2, 4 and 6 formed part of the Division zbV 300. In the fighting all Regiments was nearly wiped out. Survivors retreating to Germany or joined the Estonian Guerillas (the Forest Brothers).

Best regards,
Marcus Karlsson

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 22 Mar 2002, 22:06

Many thanks for your help.

I've just realised I have that Osprey title in my library, but never even remembered it.

Hi Ho Silver Away :D

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”