SS-Gruppenführer Odilo Globocnik

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
stryder

Re: SS-Gruppenführer Odilo Globocnik

Post by stryder » 26 May 2020, 01:40

I would be interested to find out more of the details about his nervous breakdown. Was it in part brought about by an assassination attempt?

TimeTravelAgent

Post by TimeTravelAgent » 26 May 2020, 02:38

It is odd that Gitta Sereny, who wrote two highly respected books about Nazi war criminals, should make this claim. She quotes Globocnik's son (but not on the topic of his mother's heritage) perhaps it is he who supplied this information.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 26 May 2020, 12:32

TimeTravelAgent wrote:
26 May 2020, 02:38
It is odd that Gitta Sereny, who wrote two highly respected books about Nazi war criminals, should make this claim. She quotes Globocnik's son (but not on the topic of his mother's heritage) perhaps it is he who supplied this information.
There are a few inconsistencies in her books, but otherwise excellent reads.

filigranofil

Post by filigranofil » 27 May 2020, 12:01

Hello,

for the Nazi Ancestral Proof ( Reichsstelle für Sippenforschung -RfS) was both a Problem.
But not as half Jewish, but because of slovenian origin.
Also both family names are in origin slovenian: Globočnik and Peteršinek
You can find in Slowenia nowadays many both these family names.

So both was not pure Aryans.

It is interesting that Globocnik signiture was with a caron = Globočnik

wikipedia:
A caron (/ˈkærən/),[1] háček or haček (/ˈhɑːtʃɛk/ or /ˈheɪtʃɛk/; plural háčeks or háčky) also known as a hachek, wedge, check,mäkčeň, inverted circumflex, inverted hat, flying bird, is a diacritic (ˇ) commonly placed over certain letters in the orthography of some Baltic, Slavic, Finnic, Samic, Berber, and other languages to indicate a change in the related letter's pronunciation (c > č; [ts] > [tʃ]).

regards
Darko

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 27 May 2020, 15:52

The use of the caron or accent above the 'c' in his autograph is a moot point. In earlier versions of his signature, the line above the name is evidently situated above 'nic' and not the letter 'c'. As his signature developed and became more 'rushed' - usually seen in autographs applied in greater numbers - the line became elongated, less straight and extended over more letters. The use of a line above an autograph was common practice in German handwriting of the period, usually where an umlaut or dot over the letter 'i' appeared. Some argue that Globocnik used the line to signify a dot over the "i" in his name. Your example could indicate this as it is clearly positioned over the 'ni' and not the 'c'. However, it can also be argued that some handwritten documents (not in Globocnik's hand) do show a clear caron above the letter 'c', as in some of his school documents, but we must remember that these were not written by Globus himself.
Other than the debatable accent in his signature, I cannot say I discovered one document authored by Globus himself, where he used a caron in his surname. Also, in all printed German documents, no caron or accent was found. For example, in all SS-Dienstaltersliste there is no caron or accent. This is not surprising, given that Globus nurtured a hatred of the Slavic nations. For this reason, I take the view that Globocnik did not use a caron in his own surname, preferring the German version above the Slavic version.
Max.

filigranofil

Post by filigranofil » 28 May 2020, 10:29

Hello Max,

I am not agree with that Globocnik did not use a caron situated above the letter 'c' in his own surname.
After his signature developed I agree with you that caron was not situated above the letter 'c'.

But still as example of using a caron situated above the letter 'c' even from the Year 1944 is in R.u.S.-Fragebogen. It is not a real caron but a line over letter "c".

It is also clear writen the family name of his father in the document: Globočnik with real caron over letter "c."
If this is not Globocnik handwriting, he put signiture under the text and also form of his father family name.

It is also interesting, that in his Personal file is also other documents, where the family name is writen in form Globočnik, with caron over letter "c".
Maybe not his own handwriting, but in document in his Personal file in Berlin. So Globus origin was well known in Berlin Personal files. How he got "Papers", that he is Arier, is another Question.

regards
Darko

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 28 May 2020, 11:23

Looking forward to your next book Max, you mentioned it as a possibility a couple of years back, if this has the usual wealth of previously unpublished photos it will be a real treat.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 May 2020, 14:11

Hello Darko,
Yes, the debate continues. As I said, it's a moot point. I do have copies of all his handwritten Lebensläufe and you are quite correct that in his RuSHA application to marry Lore Peterschinegg, it appears he includes a caron above his father's surname. I missed it. Why this occurs, one can only speculate. I take the view that he considered himself of Germanic descent and not Slavic. This is evident in all his political views and his anti-Slavic measures prior to and during the war. In the Austro-German language, the caron does not occur (as far as I know) and I therefore find it difficult to understand why he would use such Slavic spelling, other than simply because his father used it. We also have to consider that the family name had several spellings before Odilo settled on the Germanic version of Globocnik.
Regards,
Max.
Last edited by Max Williams on 28 May 2020, 14:20, edited 3 times in total.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 May 2020, 14:13

Peter wrote:
28 May 2020, 11:23
Looking forward to your next book Max, you mentioned it as a possibility a couple of years back, if this has the usual wealth of previously unpublished photos it will be a real treat.
There are around 650 illustrations in the book.

filigranofil

Post by filigranofil » 28 May 2020, 19:54

Hello Max,
You know, that family name of father of Odilo is writen in Birth Book in Triest with caron above »c«: Globočnik. Mother is not slovenian origin.
By Birth also Odilo has such form of Family name, of course.

At Odilo home in Triest, they speak german and Italian language, slovenian language was spoken only on the streets, so Odilo can learn slovenian language from slovenan boys on playground or so.
Yes, in some period of life he considered himself of German only.

It is interesting, that Rainer, Odilo friend, who was appointed on 18 November 1941 as the Party's Gauleiter of Carinthia, while simultaneously functioning in the role of a governor, thereby also ruling over the adjacent occupied Yugoslavian territories in Upper Carniola, today part of Slovenia.

On 26. February 1942 Rainer issued decree about form of spelling slovenian names and family names (Verordnungs –und Amtsblat).
Link: https://www.sistory.si/cdn/publikacije/ ... t_1942.pdf

It was clear, that for instance slovenian family name Globočnik ordered german form is: Globotschnik.
But is is not the Question of spelling.

It is Question if family name is slovenian or german origin.

After Univ.-Prof. i.R. Dr. Heinz Dieter POHL is clear, that Globočnik is slovenian family name:
Globočnik / Globotschnig / Globotschnik /Glabu(t)schnig / Grabuschnig zu
slow. globok ‘tief’, entspricht dem dt. Tiefenbacher.
After Prof.Dr. Pohl corresponding/respective German family name for slovenian Globočnik is Tiefenbacher!
Link to Prof.Dr. Pohl Article: http://members.chello.at/heinz.pohl/FS_ ... sch_SD.pdf

It is interesting how family name Globočnik (with caron above »c«) came on document of Globus »Arier« statement:
»Ich bin Deutscher, bin arischer Abstammung…."
"I am German, Aryan descent..."

regards
Darko

TimeTravelAgent

Post by TimeTravelAgent » 28 May 2020, 23:33

It was Irmgard Rickheim who was suspected of part Jewish heritage according to the book Creator of Nazi Death Camps.

AliasDavid

Post by AliasDavid » 28 May 2020, 23:46

Hello,

Written on a German typewriter, Globočnik would become Globocnik. But Globocnik was prononunced differently so that replacing the c with caron by tsch was the better idea. Then the nik at the end is also obviously Slavic, so it's often changed to nigg, which also comes closer to the pronunciation. Neither the resulting Globotschnigg nor for instance the name Kutschera hide their Slavic origin though. In hindsight he might have preferred to completely change his name earlier, but maybe he thought doing so once criticism had set in would leave the wrong impression, if I may venture this guess.

UlrichH

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 29 May 2020, 13:35

Darko,
That particular document was not included in the Bundesarchiv files I was provided with. What is the source please? It makes me wonder what other important documents are missing!
Thanks,
Max.

filigranofil

Post by filigranofil » 29 May 2020, 17:30

Hello Max,

unfortunatelly I have "Globus" documents only as copy of copy, without any mark of source.

But I can assure you, that documents are not forgery, because I check some of them in Bundesarchiv.

I assume that this copies are from achive of Chef des Pers.Stab of RF.

Like this one, in which is one of "Globus" lies, that he has title "Ingenieur"(which I also did not check in Berlin):

It is not good, that some document is missing in a high level Book.
Maybe can we check, what is missing if not at all. Send me a PM if you are interested.

regards
Darko

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 31 May 2020, 22:47

Thanks for the detailed info regarding the Globočnik surname, Darko.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”