When was the SS-Number issued?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Timo

When was the SS-Number issued?

Post by Timo » 26 Mar 2002, 20:18

I just wonder,

If somebody was with the Poltische Bereitschaften first and then with the SS-Standarte 1 VT, when did he recieve his SS-number? When he joined the Politische Bereitschaft or when his unit became part of SS 1 VT? Or perhaps there's another possibility?

Thanks in advance,
Timo

Martin Månsson

SS-Number

Post by Martin Månsson » 26 Mar 2002, 20:57

When the soldier became an SS-Officer.

Best
Martin

Timo

Re: SS-Number

Post by Timo » 26 Mar 2002, 21:17

Martin Mansson wrote:When the soldier became an SS-Officer.

Best
Martin
Are you sure? Knittels SS number 111 507 indicates 1934. He joined PBW on 3 August 1934 and this became SS 1 VT on 1 October 1934, but he wasn't an Ustuf. till 9 November 1938. Or do you mean this was the "other possibility?"

Regards,
Timo

HaEn
In memoriam

stammnummer

Post by HaEn » 27 Mar 2002, 04:31

Hi Timo. I always was under the impression that the "stammnummer" was issued on the day of the "vereidigung" (loyalty oath) Howver the copies of my stammkarte I received from the Dutch archives, does not show any; only the "soldbuch nummer". Oh darn, now I have to go through life without a stammnummer. :lol: I remember my feldpost number, my prisoncamp number, my KL army number, and my social security number. I will try to contact some ex-comrades ( growing fewer by the minute) in the Netherlands, and will post it on the forum. "No number HN". :wink:

rkoy

hi

Post by rkoy » 27 Mar 2002, 05:51

:D HaEn your a blast i love your sense of humor.....hmm not bad for a clog-hopper......rodney

Angelo

Numbers

Post by Angelo » 27 Mar 2002, 09:15

I agree, and in some cases being numberless may really help :)

Angelo

Martin Månsson

SS-Number

Post by Martin Månsson » 27 Mar 2002, 17:27

I must admit that I don't know if a soldier had an earlier assignment prior to his enter in the Waffen-SS. Some 30 + veterans (Who were NCO's or privates) I've written to has all given me the same statement, with other words, none of them had any SS-Number. However, none of them held a assignment in the SS prior to their entry in the Waffen-SS. This cares for further investigation...........

Best
Martin

Timo

Re: SS-Number

Post by Timo » 27 Mar 2002, 17:39

Martin Mansson wrote:I must admit that I don't know if a soldier had an earlier assignment prior to his enter in the Waffen-SS. Some 30 + veterans (Who were NCO's or privates) I've written to has all given me the same statement, with other words, none of them had any SS-Number. However, none of them held a assignment in the SS prior to their entry in the Waffen-SS. This cares for further investigation...........

Best
Martin
I agree Martin,

I have no idea if the Politische Bereitschaften and other pre-SS units were allready considered "SS". To me it seems like the men from the Politische Bereitschaften were registered as SS-men at the moment they became part of SS 1 VT, but on the other hand Vonn Gottberg commanded PBW as a Stubaf. since early 1934, which means the involvement of the SS started earlier. I hope the BA-MA has some files on Politische Bereitschaften and/or SS 1 VT. I'll try to find more.

Regards,
Timo

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”