WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 20 Jun 2011, 04:27

I have this flag, and I think it is Taiwan National flag,but a couple guys down Chattanooga way says it is WW2 Nationalist China.
Ok, it is 34" x 56", sewn *star* and blue field on a 2 piece red field . The base material is that old type cotton.wool blend(course,kind of itchy)lol!! found on US flags from WW2 era, like from the **Minuteman** flag here I also have.
2 grommets... No name of manufacture on bunting at all. (Bulldog,Valley Forge) etc.No markings.
Your opinion!
Attachments
2107-6103-1-W.jpg
2107-6103-1-W.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
62869-8558-1-W.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Post by John G. » 20 Jun 2011, 14:42

Mark,
There's no way to date these exactly (unless marked otherwise) since the flag for Nationalist China/Taiwan is identical, as you know....so you can only go by the materials and construction. From the Photo, based on the bunting & gromets, I'd say this is a US made flag.....probably WW2 but no later than "early 1950s"......I've owned a few WW2 Chinese made Flags, most are very thin, printed, with corner ties or laces....even quality ones wouldn't normally have Gromets (pretty much US-only method of "mounting" until 1950s)....

Remember durning WW2 every Ralley or Bond Drive would have multipals of the "Allied Nations" Flags displayed....each included a National's Chinese Flag ......I'd bet this is one of them!:

I'd have no quams calling it a "WW 2 US made Chinese National Flag" (Nationalist China/Taiwan) made for "Bond Drives" and the like.

John

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 20 Jun 2011, 17:59

i agree with you. I knew there was no way it was foreign made(Mainland China)as it has all earmarks of WW2 era USA manufacture.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”