Looking for information on Croatian soldier Dane Jurkovic

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
lican

Looking for information on Croatian soldier Dane Jurkovic

Post by lican » 24 Sep 2017, 01:01

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for information on a Croatian soldier named Dane Jurkovic that was in the Bunic/Korenica area of Luka in Croatia.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Looking for information on Croatian soldier Dane Jurkovic

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 27 Sep 2017, 22:37

lican wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm looking for information on a Croatian soldier named Dane Jurkovic that was in the Bunic/Korenica area of Luka in Croatia.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi lican,

did you contact the Croatian State Archives about him?

Best regards,
Eisvogel

lican

Post by lican » 04 Oct 2017, 18:44

Thanks. I will contact them today.

lican

Post by lican » 18 Oct 2017, 20:29

Dr Eisvogel,

Croatian state archives contacted me today.

In short I asked the archives about other family members as well. The archives had records of the fate of some, not of the others. It made for hard reading, and to be honest, I didn’t open the email for awhile.

My dad remembers all these people, the older my dad gets, the more he talks about the war naturally making me curious. Being born and raised in Canada makes this all seem so unreal. Somehow my cushioned upbringing, dads talk of a time most want forgotten, and just plain fascination of this period has made me only more inquisitive, and frankly this is all hard to process.

One thing I just can’t stop thinking about is how horrible the Croatian peasant fared in WW2. The decisions that surely the individual knew his fate rested in, and let’s face it, sometimes forced to make. So many lives lost by just plain misfortune.

Dr Eisvogel, thank you for taking the time to help me try to find what I was looking for. However,I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Kindest regards,
Ivan.

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 21 Oct 2017, 23:21

lican wrote:Dr Eisvogel,

Croatian state archives contacted me today.

In short I asked the archives about other family members as well. The archives had records of the fate of some, not of the others. It made for hard reading, and to be honest, I didn’t open the email for awhile.

My dad remembers all these people, the older my dad gets, the more he talks about the war naturally making me curious. Being born and raised in Canada makes this all seem so unreal. Somehow my cushioned upbringing, dads talk of a time most want forgotten, and just plain fascination of this period has made me only more inquisitive, and frankly this is all hard to process.

One thing I just can’t stop thinking about is how horrible the Croatian peasant fared in WW2. The decisions that surely the individual knew his fate rested in, and let’s face it, sometimes forced to make. So many lives lost by just plain misfortune.

Dr Eisvogel, thank you for taking the time to help me try to find what I was looking for. However,I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Kindest regards,
Ivan.
Dear Ivan,

I appreciate your report about the Croatian State Archives very much. I am sorry for the fact you haven't managed to find wwhat you were looking for about Mr. Dane Jurković.

Yes, the situation for the peasants was horrible in the middle of lawlessness caused by guerrilla actions, economic crisis which led to the collapse of peace-time economy and the rapidly changing political circumstances.

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”