Romanian military cemetery near Odessa ?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
titiwi

Romanian military cemetery near Odessa ?

Post by titiwi » 28 Oct 2017, 10:34

Dear all,
As a history freak living in France, I am glad to join you.
I’m traveling in Ukraine right now, soon to be in Odessa, and I take the opportunity to search for the Romanian military cemetery (if any) for trying to find a trace of my ancestry.
Following that epic siege of Odessa during the fall of 1941, from what I know, several Romanian military cemeteries were established in those surrounding villages on the fortified defensive line where fierce fights happened.
However there is no information available about their fate after the end of the war.
Most likely they were moved or regrouped somewhere.
Does anyone has any information regarding this ?

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Romanian military cemetery near Odessa ?

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 08 Nov 2017, 12:06

titiwi wrote:Dear all,
As a history freak living in France, I am glad to join you.
I’m traveling in Ukraine right now, soon to be in Odessa, and I take the opportunity to search for the Romanian military cemetery (if any) for trying to find a trace of my ancestry.
Following that epic siege of Odessa during the fall of 1941, from what I know, several Romanian military cemeteries were established in those surrounding villages on the fortified defensive line where fierce fights happened.
However there is no information available about their fate after the end of the war.
Most likely they were moved or regrouped somewhere.
Does anyone has any information regarding this ?
Dear titiwi,

I am unable to answer you specifically about Romanian war cemeteries in the vicinity of Odessa, but I have a recent example from Russia, which probably explains what happened with Romanian military cemeteries in Ukraine.

So, during the WWII there were 79 Romanian war cemeteries opened on the Russian soil.

By 2015 none were left.

Only then was a Romanian military cemetery rebuilt near Volgograd (due to the Battle of Stalingrad).

So, I guess the Soviets destroyed the Romanian military cemeteries in Ukraine, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was official Soviet policy to destroy enemy military cemeteries from WWII, because the same was done by their puppets, the Yugoslav Communists, on Croatian soil at the end of WWII based on order issued on July 6th 1945.
On 25 October 2015 in the context of the celebration of the Armed Forces Day of Romania, the Romanian Embassy in the Russian Federation, in collaboration with the Association “Voennye Memorialy" and Russian central and regional authorities organized and conducted the official inauguration ceremony of the first Romanian Military Cemetery on the territory of the former USSR, at Rossoshka, Volgograd region (Russian Federation).

In the opening ceremony, the Ambassador of Romania to the Russian Federation, Mr. Vasile Soare emphasized the significance of the inauguration of the first Romanian Military Cemetery on the territory of the former USSR, rebuilt by the Romanian government with the support of the Russian authorities and where Romanian soldiers who died in combat in more than 70 places in the current region Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), over 7 decades ago, will be reburied.

Romanian military cemetery in Rossosha covers an area of approximately 6,000 m.p. (90 m long, 60 m wide), consisting of the following elements: metal fence enclosing; central monument (3 m high granite cross); central plateau (6 x 9 m); central plate of granite, engraved in Romanian and Russian with the words "IN MEMORIAM. ROMANIAN MILITARY FALLEN IN THE BATTLE OF STALINGRAD”; 22 plaques mentioning the names of 79 former Romanian war cemeteries";

Exhumations will continue in future annual campaigns in the Volgograd region and in the Republic of Kalmykia of the Russian Federation so that the remains identified in former Romanian war cemeteries could be reburied in the Romanian cemetery in Rossoshka, which is intended to bring together the remains of Romanian military fallen in the region.
Entire article at: https://moscova.mae.ro/en/local-news/1072

Best regards,
Eisvogel

rixard

Post by rixard » 17 Nov 2017, 20:13

In the Odessa region in the village of Kurgan there is a memorial of Romanian soldiers who died during the siege of Odessa in 1941. If you need help in Odessa, please contact me.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... W_Cemetery

Taeonas

Post by Taeonas » 29 Apr 2020, 21:19

I have just come across my great-grandfather's death certificate, showing he died in the war in Odessa in 1941. I've looked at all lists I could find online with fallen Romanian soldiers in and near Odessa and I can't find his name anywhere listed there.

Has anyone been to these or has access to these cemeteries to look up and confirm a name? It's slightly unusual so there would not be two persons with the same name.

Looking forward to your replies. Thank you.

rixard

Post by rixard » 31 Oct 2020, 17:39

In the Odessa region there is only a memorial sign, it does not contain the names of Romanian soldiers and officers. Contact me, maybe your great-grandfather's surname is on my list.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”