Albania in WW2 question?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Felix C

Albania in WW2 question?

Post by Felix C » 07 May 2018 20:36

Other than being occupied by the Italians and being used as the launching base for the Italian invasion of Greece have not heard much else of Albania in the war?

Did they have a partisan movement like Yugoslavia? Pro-Axis units serve outside of Albania?

Collaborative Axis power or occupied country with a little bit of everything?

South
Financial supporter

Re: Albania in WW2 question?

Post by South » 07 May 2018 23:11

Good afternoon Felix,

A couple of head notes that's really a sidebar;

Believe Mother Teresa was born in Albania.

During Cold War, involving NATO/US disestablishment of Yugoslavia, Albania provided support to NATO/US.

Duson Mugosha and Miladin Popovic founded the Albanian Communist Party. Their chief - Party Secretary - was Enver Hoxha. This group established 8 Nov 41 at a secret Tirana meeting.

Above CP org was the nucleus of the National Liberation Movement that met 16 Sep 1942 for the purpose of coordinating the various guerrilla bands active against the Italian occupiers. This National Liberation Movement was known as "Partisans". In July, 1943, they made the successful efforts to strengthen their CP organization.

Albania had a full scale civil war Sep 43 to Nov 44. Besides Hoxha's CP, there were the Balli Kombetar and the "Legality Movement" (I have no notes on the Legality Movement).

Above info, less my notes and articles that ruined the bookbinding,is from (US Army) Area Handbook for Albania, DA Pam 550-98, Jan 1971, Library of Congress Catalog Number 73-609651.

Hope above has some iota of value for research.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 08 May 2018 11:56

Mother Teresa was etnic albanian, but born in Macedonia.

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 08 May 2018 12:09

a lot ofAlbanians units where raised by Ialian : several infantry btg and legions of black shirts and also a Btg of Royal Guards was sent in Rome for cerimonia duty . Several Albnians served individually in all branch of italian Army Army Navy, Air force and Police. Carabinieri ( Military Police) and Guardia di Finanza( customs- border police) in Alnia have mixted Italian- Albanian personal.
No problems for italians until summer 1943.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 08 May 2018 12:42

Hi Felix C.,

Yes, they not only had Communist partisan units of up to brigade size, but royalist units (under Abas Kupi?) as well. The latter were overwhelmed by the former in 1944.

Albania was an occupied country from April 1939 and the Germans replaced the Italians there in late 1943. As the Germans withdrew the Communist partisans in particular helped speed them on their way.

Cheers,

Sid.

South
Financial supporter

Post by South » 08 May 2018 14:47

Good morning Zaptia,

Appreciate the more accurate identification in re Mother Teresa.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 08 May 2018 16:22

Thx everyone. I have a recent Albanian family move as neighbors. Former senior military. Thought to ask before inviting over. Visitors will see all of the WW2 titles on the bookshelves. Always good to know in advance what to expect.

Cakalarov

Post by Cakalarov » 12 May 2018 10:28

In Albania hase bin developed one of the strongest resistance movements in Europe during the Second World War, led by the Communist Party of Albania, although many Albanians also collaborated with Fascist Italy and the Third Reich.

He -x1S

Post by He -x1S » 01 Aug 2018 07:50

Saying that the Albanian Communist Party was founded by the two yugoslav political commisars of Tito has to be relativized. Nowadays the historians try do diminuish the role of the albanian communist dictator Enver Hoxha. The fact is that a lot of Albanians were members of Comintern and in the country there a was a strong communist movement even before Spanish War in the principal cities. Hundred of Albanians were volontary during the Spanish War, the most famous of them was Mehmet Shehu who after leaded the 1st Albanian Partisan Brigade during WWII in Albania. In the end of the war there were 27 Partisan Brigades. Also, after the Germans left thd country the 28 nov 1944, the Albanians have continuing the fight helping the liberation of Montenegro and Bosnia (till Vishegrad). In the end of the war the Albanian Army lost around 28 000 partisans, thousand civilians, and was one of the most destroyed european country from the WWII.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 03 Aug 2018 10:50

If you know German, I would recommend the book ""Albanische Muslime in der Waffen-SS von "Großalbanien" zur Division "Skanderbeg""" by Franziska Zaugg. The first part of the book is on the general issue of Albania & Kosovo between Italy, Germany and the idea of the Great Albania, and the second part is then on the Albanian SS division.

Gilles de Rais

Post by Gilles de Rais » 05 Aug 2018 14:35

He -x1S wrote:
01 Aug 2018 07:50
Also, after the Germans left thd country the 28 nov 1944, the Albanians have continuing the fight helping the liberation of Montenegro and Bosnia (till Vishegrad). In the end of the war the Albanian Army lost around 28 000 partisans, thousand civilians, and was one of the most destroyed european country from the WWII.
This is absolutelly incorrect. Please provide sources for this statement (which don't exist) or don't spread misinformation. There were no Albanian units fighting in Bosnia (as Bosnia and Herzegovina was a Partisan stronghold during the entire WWII and Tito's main base) and Albanian Partisans were almost non-existent in Montenegro. Even in terrtories with an ethnic Albanian majority (Ulcinj), Albanians were part of the Yugoslav Partisan movement. The only case I'm aware of in which units from Albania fought on Yugoslav soil was in Kosovo.

He -x1S

Post by He -x1S » 05 Aug 2018 23:33

Gilles calm down, what happend to you? :) Im refering to official statement of Albanian Liberation Army (ALA) that you can find in Tirana State Archive. And you can find all this info in every albanian history books of the WWII :). After Germans left Albania the 29 nov 1944, the commander of ALA Enver Hoxha gave the order to the 5th and 6th albanian partisan divisions (commanders Gjin Marku for the 6th and Rrahman Parllaku for the 5th) to continue the fight. I can give you details if you want.Im not saying they fought alone, I said they helped, contributed for the liberation of these areas in coordination with yugoslav partisans. They fought dueing 17-19 december 1944 for the liberation of Podgorica for example. They had a hard battle on the hills of Decic, Tuz, Kolashin, Matoševo, Hot, Grud etc in the end of 1944. In the begining of 1945 the 6th, 8th and XXII brigade of the 6th Alb.Partisans.Division fought in Burzo, Rudo, Dobrun and in the 14 february, these brigades fought around and inside the city of Višegrad, in the "right side of Drina" and 119 albanian partisans gave their life in these fights (more than 200 wounded). (hard fights in Dricko, Zalošnie, Mehmet Paša Bridge etc.). In all, 700 albanian partisans of ALA gave their life for the liberation of Yugoslavia. After war, Tito gave to Hoxha the highest medaille "Hero of Yugoslav People". Funny.
Last edited by He -x1S on 06 Aug 2018 01:20, edited 3 times in total.

Gilles de Rais

Post by Gilles de Rais » 06 Aug 2018 00:00

No Yougoslav source I read mentions these Albanian units. The only instance I remember is some cooperation in Kosovo. I'm perfectly calm. :) I just want you to provide sources for your statements. I know the details of the liberation of Podgorica very well. I never found any mention of ALA units participating in it. And I don't include ethnic Albanians in Yugoslav Partisans there. There were many who fought there. Can you provide any English or Yugoslav source for your claim? Also, I reacted the way I did because Hoxha's historians and those who succedded him were very hostile towards Yugoslavia and such claims in Albanian histories could simply be used to downplay the Yugoslav capacity to liberate their own country (I suppose you know how much Hoxha hated Tito) and to present Yugoslavs as ungrateful. In the sense: "We helped them in the struggle and now they are plotting against us". You shouldn't take everything you read at face value, without considering the context of some statements.

He -x1S

Post by He -x1S » 06 Aug 2018 00:08

Well, you are right when saying "no yugoslav source mention these". All these was hidden after albanian-yugoslav split in early years after war. Make your own research. The archives are there and open. You will find the war diaries of these brigades, maps, etc. And in the albanian sources is never mentioned that yugoslav could'nd fight. On contrary they speak on the "common hate against fascism" between albanians and yugoslav. Personally I dont think Tito needed the help of albanian partisans. But, let say, with E. Hoxha, they were both cynical leaders.
Last edited by He -x1S on 06 Aug 2018 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

He -x1S

Post by He -x1S » 06 Aug 2018 00:19

Here a source :
"Albania at War, 1939-1945", from Bernd Jürgen Fischer

In 1946, the bodies of around 380 albanian partisans killed in Yugoslavia are rapatriated in Albania. After albanian-yugoslav split, the seaech was stopped for the others. Only in 1975, after Tito reconciliate with Hoxha, yugoslav authorities accepted a new search on those areas of fight (Kosovo, Montenegro, Southern Bosnia). With the help of local populations who remembered the contribution of albanian partisans, 300 other alb. partisans killed in action were identified and rapatried.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”