Albania in WW2 question?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: Albania in WW2 question?

Post by G. Trifkovic » 06 Aug 2018 10:45

Gilles de Rais wrote:

This is absolutelly incorrect. Please provide sources for this statement (which don't exist) or don't spread misinformation. There were no Albanian units fighting in Bosnia (as Bosnia and Herzegovina was a Partisan stronghold during the entire WWII and Tito's main base) and Albanian Partisans were almost non-existent in Montenegro. Even in terrtories with an ethnic Albanian majority (Ulcinj), Albanians were part of the Yugoslav Partisan movement. The only case I'm aware of in which units from Albania fought on Yugoslav soil was in Kosovo.
He -x1S wrote:

Well, you are right when saying "no yugoslav source mention these". All these was hidden after albanian-yugoslav split in early years after war.
Hi Gilles de Rais and He -x1S,

units of the Albanian National Liberation Army - largely the 6th Division - did take part in the Yugoslav operations in Montenegro and Eastern Bosnia in late 1944 and early 1945, including those around Podgorica and in "the Lim Valley between Priboj and Višegrad"; this fact was not hidden by the Yugoslav historiography, as evident from even a cursory examination of the relevant works such as

Oslobodilački rat naroda Jugoslavije (Belgrade: VII, 1957), Vol. II, pp. 399-400;

Vlado Strugar, Der jugoslawische Volksbefreieungskrieg 1941 bis 1945 (Berlin-Ost: DMV, 1969), p. 242;

Radovan Vukanović, 2. udarni korpus (Belgrade: VIZ, 1982), p. 335;

Zbornik dokumenata i podataka NOR-a (Belgrade: VII, 1949-1989), Vol. II, book 14, pp. 401, 413 (for Tito's praise of the Albanians), 460; book 15, pp. 39, 132-133; Vol. IV, book 32, p. 245,

etc., etc.

Cheers,

Gaius

He -x1S

Re: Albania in WW2 question?

Post by He -x1S » 07 Aug 2018 08:04

Thank you a lot Gaius and sorry for my english. When I was saying "hidden", I meant that the sources, references, archives are there, but a lot of people don't know them. I believe these facts are victims of nowadays politics in Balkans.

Cheers,
Alex.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”