Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Sid Guttridge

Re: Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 29 Jun 2020 22:46

Hi wm,

Your figures do not contradict mine. I was assuming far more Hungarian Army deaths than you quote - 300,000.

Do the maths. 42,000 members of the Labour Battalions are unaccounted for in exactly the same way as your quoted figures for Hungarians are arrived at. As Jews only amounted to 5% of Hungary's population, one would have to multiply 42,000 by 20 to arrive at a figure for Hungarian losses if they were suffered in the same ratio as the Labour Battalions - 840,000.

Yet Hungarian military dead were "only" about 300,000 (some sources give less). This effectively means that the Jews were nearly three times as likely to die in the Labour Battalions as Hungarians were likely to die as members of the Hungarian Army.

Now, if you have some alternative figures to offer, let's have them. How many people do you believe died in the Labour Battalions and what is your source? I have already given you my source, so now it is up to you.

Well?

Cheers,

Sid.

steppewolf

Re: Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Post by steppewolf » 30 Jun 2020 10:28

@Sid Guttridge, there's obviously an effort to wash out Horthy. There's even state backed propaganda from Orban regime in this respect and the phenomenon to exonerate such historical figures is not singular.

You can provide as many figures as you want, there's somebody with an agenda and won't agree with you regardless of your efforts ;)

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 30 Jun 2020 11:17

Hi Steppewolf,

I know, but that doesn't mean we should give them a free run.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”