Hungarian Gold Train

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 02 Dec 2003, 07:28

Sorry if posted twice but my computer seems rather erratic when making a post .
I would be glad if the webmaster can remove the double post

Thanks

Gladivm

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 03 Dec 2003, 06:35

Toldi wife in the list of train passengers is indicate as " Dr Toldi Arpadne' "
which should read as " Mrs Arpad Toldi " it obviously was the custom of the times to indicate the wife like this without citing her first or maiden name , Mrs Toldi was born at Hajduszobszlo on 27 August 1904 .
Her two daughters from the her first marriage are :

-Elder daughter " Mrs Aldar Tomacsanyi " indicated on the list as "Tomacsanyi Aladarne' "
no fist name available and after checking the passenger list can tell that her husband mr Tomacsanyi , was not travelling on the train , he might have been on military duty or for other reasons unable or unwilling to join .
She was born at Hajduszoboszlo on 17 March 1921

- Younger daughter , being not married yet is indicated with her maiden and first name Miss Legenyei Bodnar Maria , born at Hajdusziboszlo on 3 Jan 1924 .
For both girls is inbdicated as profession " Housewife "

Regarding Toldi himself it must be noted that in his position of Commissioner for Jewish Affairs he had access also to other Jewish properties looted by the Gendarmerie and not only at the goods carried on the Gold Train and therefore seems conceivable that once in Austria he was travelling with a convoy of few trucks loaded with valuables and therefore he might have been also to hide a lot of money .

I always saw Toldi spelled as " T O L D I " but believe that there is also another Hungary family name spelled as " T O L D Y " and that both names are not that unusual , is it true ?
would be glad if someone is familiar with Hungarian name would help in this instance , thanks

Yours

GLADIVM

Milan Szekelyhidi

Toldi or Toldy

Post by Milan Szekelyhidi » 03 Dec 2003, 15:41

GLADIVM wrote: I always saw Toldi spelled as " T O L D I " but believe that there is also another Hungary family name spelled as " T O L D Y " and that both names are not that unusual , is it true ?
Toldi = Toldy
If he/she is gentle or blue blood the 'I' changed 'Y'. Generally if someone get a grand title in his life, lots of place dash her name. pl. Toldi X born 1900, died 1980, got a grand title 1938, earlier called him Toldi, after that called Toldy, lot of cases he used the old name in the signature. That is the problem like Teleky, but for other source his name was Teleki (he was suicide for Yugoslavian invasion).
If it is an old gentle family, he never used the Toldi name (only if anyone misspell it).

I hope I wrote it clearly.
Milan

GHarris

Re:

Post by GHarris » 21 Feb 2021, 04:16

GLADIVM wrote:
03 Dec 2003, 06:35
which should read as " Mrs Arpad Toldi " it obviously was the custom of the times to indicate the wife like this without citing her first or maiden name , Mrs Toldi was born at Hajduszobszlo on 27 August 1904 .

-Elder daughter " Mrs Aldar Tomacsanyi " indicated on the list as "Tomacsanyi Aladarne' "
no fist name available and after checking the passenger list can tell that her husband mr Tomacsanyi , was not travelling on the train , he might have been on military duty or for other reasons unable or unwilling to join .

- Younger daughter , being not married yet is indicated with her maiden and first name Miss Legenyei Bodnar Maria , born at Hajdusziboszlo on 3 Jan 1924 .

Regarding Toldi himself it must be noted that in his position of Commissioner for Jewish Affairs he had access also to other Jewish properties looted by the Gendarmerie and not only at the goods carried on the Gold Train and therefore seems conceivable that once in Austria he was travelling with a convoy of few trucks loaded with valuables and therefore he might have been also to hide a lot of money .

I always saw Toldi spelled as " T O L D I " but believe that there is also another Hungary family name spelled as " T O L D Y " and that both names are not that unusual , is it true ?
would be glad if someone is familiar with Hungarian name would help in this instance , thanks

Yours

GLADIVM

Would you be able to provide the source of this information? You mention a passenger list? Where could one find that?

Thanks,

G

Peter89

Re: Re:

Post by Peter89 » 22 Feb 2021, 17:53

GHarris wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 04:16
GLADIVM wrote:
03 Dec 2003, 06:35

Yours

GLADIVM

Would you be able to provide the source of this information? You mention a passenger list? Where could one find that?

Thanks,

G
The guy was active the last time 7 years ago, and wrote that comment 17 years ago...
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”