Slovak use of SMGs?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Ardee

Slovak use of SMGs?

Post by Ardee » 05 Jun 2023, 03:20

Hi All. I was wondering if anybody had info about the distribution of machine pistols in the Slovak Army?

I've learned they had a variety, including German, Finnish, Italian, Russian etc. I'm trying to find out if these were distributed down to the frontline rifle squad/section, perhaps mirroring the German SL and ASL typically being assigned these weapoms, or if they remained relatively scarce, and issued primarily to officers, police units or other specialized units.

I've found info about the Czecholslavokian rifle section: 13 (one source says 14) men, all armed with rifles. The Czechs had just adopted an SMG, the ZK-383, but none apparently reached troops before the German take-over. I've so far been unable to find any TO&E info on the Slovaks, other than the suggestion it would be based on the Czech. But photos and drawings suggest that the Slovaks made use of German flamethrowers, 50mm Grw36, panzerschrek, panzerfaust, etc. (the 1938-39 army had no equivalants for these either). So how much did the Germans influence the formation of their rifle squad?

Any info/sources would be appreciated.

Ardee

Re: Slovak use of SMGs?

Post by Ardee » 10 Jun 2023, 07:13

My thanks to those who read this. I'll keep looking. :)

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”